AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted this in --direct view forum-- days ago as it pertains to a loewe 32"aconda but i think we crt pj folk are a bit more mechanically/electricaly inclined as there have been like 30 views and not a single reply.

tv tries to power-on but then goes back to standby after the hv block arcs a couple of times.

i replaced the hv psu caps and the operation was a success but the patient is still kinda dead.

only experience i have with an arcing hv block was a shorted tube on a likewise dead barco 600-s.

after replacing the tube everything fired right up.

i dont even want to think the picture tube on the loewe is shorted/dead.

any other troubleshooting ideas ?

thanks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
For a direct view TV, that would be the flyback, and if it is arcing, you need to replace it. You will blow out the horizontal output stage and possibly other things if you keep trying to run it like that.

In a couple instances, I have patched a cracked flyback with hot glue or silicone, but it only works 5% of the time.

Get the part number off the sticker on the flyback and order a new one. How old is the tv, what is the model and chassis number?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks maxxarcade !

i will get the info tomorrow.

i know you are talking about a flyback condensor/capacitor but im not sure where to look for it.

is it a big electrolytic ?

or encased in a potting-block ?

·
Registered
702 Posts
The flyback transformer is the larger potted block with the big red high voltage wire coming out of it that goes to the picture tube. Usually with direct view tv's, there are two knobs on the back of the flyback, labeled Screen and Focus. If that is the part where the sparks are coming from, that's what you need to replace.

Be careful working on that, getting a shock from 30,000 volts is not fun. I got shocked off a cracked flyback once at work, from a 27" monitor while adjusting focus. I was pretty shook up after that.

You have to discharge the voltage from the picture tube before you disconnect the wire, it keeps a charge for a long time even when not plugged in. If you don't know how to do that, I would suggest taking the tv to a shop.

Can you post a picture of the tv, pointing to what is sparking?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
same device.

it has 1 hv lead going to the picture tube and 1 hv lead going to the main pcb.

its between these connections on the block that it is arcing.

doesnt appear to be damaged externally but maybe internally shorted ?

i can send a pic in the next couple of days.

best way to discharge ?

when working on the dead barco i wore rubber soled shoes and rubber gloves and stood on a wooden pallet with just 1 hand in the pj at any time !!!

probably overkill but i did not want any nasty surprises.

thanks for all the help so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.