AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just PURCHASED Arcsoft TMT for $70.

BTW, i'm a techie, so i know my hardware/software pretty darn well...

Had a virus, formatted, and upon reinstalling windows xp/updates, i bought TMT for blu-ray disc playback. What i would always do would be play the BD using PDVD8, and have a dvi>hdmi cord to my HDTV and just watch them there. With PDVD8, same video card, SAME exact video drivers on my old install of windows, worked flawlessly. Got same drivers (latest, 180.48 or something, nvidia 8800gtx) on new install of windows (latest updates also).

Installed, program loaded up just fine.

Loaded up BD Pineapple Express....loads up fine (menus)...

about 1-3 minutes into the movie, i see a flickering black screen on my desktop or TV, then BSOD with a STOP error claiming nv4_disp.dll went into an infinite loop.

drivers were cleared in safe mode, used driver cleaner, then re-installed latest drivers. no solution.

got the new beta drivers 185.x something, again, cleaned properly, re-installed.

i CAN play any game fine - UT3, TF2, COD4, GTA4, etc...just fine - no crashes; it HAS to be either the TMT software, or the disc. I doubt the disc would be to blame (its netflixed though) b/c if it were a bad disc, wouldn't it just not play? Why would my computer's video driver go into an infinite loop?

ANY advice would be awesome...im dying here! haha

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I dont have TMT.. but being on this forum enough I have seen many with the 8800 Series with out the G92 having issues with hardware acceleration on. Do you get the BSOD with it off?

I know technically only the G92 GPU and higher support CUDA fully (ie 8800 GTS 512 Meg and ALL 9xxx series cards; I dont believe ANY of the 8800 GTX boards have the G92 GPU) which is the framework that is used to accelerate HD codecs. In a different discussion with an archsoft tech, he stated that TMT has tried to implement as much as they can to make use of the non G92 GPUs but its very limited... My personal feeling is that the thread management between the CPU and the GPU is not working properly in TMT and causing your BSOD. It would be very difficult for them to bind an individual thread to the CPU and then another to the GPU; especially if they need to share the same data.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so, essentially, the 8800 series cards are inherently bad with TMT?

once double checking/disabling hardware acceleration, that should resolve my issue? if it doesn't, what's the next step? uninstall and ask for a refund?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Well... from my gatherings over a few months the 8800 series cards with the exception of the ones with the G92 chip wont add much benefit; and with TMT may even cause issues.

Double check to see if your GTX uses the G92 GPU. If it does then it is supported and its definately an issue with TMT/Driver/system config etc. This would eventually fixed as others are running with no issue.

If its not a G92 then yes.. your SOL. Hardware Acceleration is not 100% supported and yes TMT does have issues with this. Either upgrade your Video card to get the best usage and reduce issues, turn off Hardware Accleration OR use PowerDVD which again will not make full use of the hardware acceleration but also most likely will not BSOD on you. Using PwrDVD or turning off hardware accelleration does not mean that Blurays will play smoothly. With out Video card hardware accerlation you may get stuttering or audio/video sync issues if your CPU is not fast enough; if your not running a dual core then forget it.. upgrade your video card.

On my system when hardware acceleration is enable I use about 10-20% CPU. When disable I use 60% of CPU (dual core AMD); but my GTS 512 has the G92 chip; which is the same GPU in the 9xxx series Nvidia cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK420 /forum/post/15484728

so, essentially, the 8800 series cards are inherently bad with TMT?

once double checking/disabling hardware acceleration, that should resolve my issue? if it doesn't, what's the next step? uninstall and ask for a refund?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
see, i was using PDVD8 on my previous install of XP, and was playing all BD's fine. i was even ripping/converting them! dont tell teh MPAA tho

i'm on a Q6600, quad core 2.4 non-overclocked. 8800GTX 768, 2 gigs PC9200 i believe.?

no doubt in my mind it's the software (TMT). i'm not upgrading anything else because of some shotty software... i'm going to disable hardware acceleration...if no res, contacting arcsoft for a credit and buying PDVD8...but thanks dude, you saved me a headache. one simple setting - if not fixed - sucks for arcsoft losing money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts