AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am not the most knowledgable in regards to speakers ( Ok I know nothing).

Hypothetically if all things like quality were equal and were set up to cross over in their specified frequency ranges, can someone please tell me if a 3 way with a sub is going to sound better than a 2 way with a sub. Obviously cross over points are going to be different, but if the sub was good enough to make up the loss in range that the 3 way has will the 2 way be able to sound as good as the 3 way as a total package?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
3-ways allow the drivers to work comfortably in their ranges, crossovers are set one or more octaves above the Fs (resonance frequency) overall distortion might be less then with a 2-way design.

2-way designs have less crossovers, less problems to deal with...crossovers are a necessary evil in the speaker building world. 2-ways sometimes have to stretch the frequency range of the drives pushing them closer to their frequency range limits. That isnt to bad/may not matter if the crossover slopes are steep.

In the end there are great 2 way designs (bad ones too) and there are great 3 way designs (bad ones too). There isnt any general rule that one is better then the other, each speaker has its own sound/measurements and research should be done based on that and not done based on 2-way vs 3-way logic.

but Im not the expert, Im just insanely addicted to the hobby!

hopefully one of the many expert speaker builders that post on this site (there are atleast 10 I know of !!) will gives us the most accurate answer.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I think in your hypothetic situation I would say that a 3 way speaker will sound better than a two way in the same brand and line of speaker if the construction is the same. Comparing different speakers I have heard two ways that sounded better than 3 ways because of quality or implementation. I don't think the sub comes into play in this situation because it is usually the mid range that can suffer in 2 way set ups not the deep base.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Do the burger taste better at place A over place B? It depends on how they do it. There is absolutly nothing that says a 3-way is better than a 2-way. It all depends of how they make them.

The best fullrange speaker I have heard is a 2-way. So it all depends.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, you have put my mind at ease. I thinking 3 ways are better than 2 ways and 4 ways are better than 3 ways. I had it in my head that it was old technology, like comparing a cassette tape with a CD, obviously I was wrong in that thinking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.