Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many ppl had prob with 5040 im buying one on monday nneed help

cant get 5060.

are 5080 any better or all replay crash some times like windows :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only difference between the models you mentioned is the size of the HD, so no model in the 5xxx series is "better" than another.

Do some more reading of the posts in this forum about the 5xxx series and just be prepared for a few bugs until they get them fixed.

That said, I returned my new Replay last month, after deciding it was best for me, a new owner, to wait and see if the company was indeed purchased; thus, funding the necessary continuing software development/improvement.

Within a week of use, I had to force a reboot on several occasions. I also had a problem with closed captioning (a requirement in my household). Even with those problems, I still loved my ReplayTV. In fact, I'm still reading this forum, eagerly awaiting the reports that a new software update has corrected the problems I had, signaling that it is once again time for me to purchase a new Replay. In the meantime, TiVo is recording our TV for us (and doing a good job, dare I say?) without any crashes, so I'm hopeful that Replay will get it right in the upcoming minor bug fix and in 5.0. Replay gave me a better picture and sound than TiVo. I also prefer the Replay interface and connectivity, not to mention economy of said connectivity.

Oh, about what you said about Windows crashing: it's one thing to reboot a computer and lose a couple minutes of work, but for whatever reasons, coming home to find that a TV show did not record because the PVR froze is just not tolerable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 5040 works fine. There does seem to be a lot of folks on here that have had problems but most people don't post to say it works...

The unit is very slow to respond to the remote which, to me at least also seems to have a limited range both in distance and angle. The new software might be addressing the slow response.

One of the better informed posters will probably respond but my guess is that the only difference between the models you mention might just be the size of the hard drive and, if that is the case, any problem would likely effect any of the various models - could be wrong on that.

If I had it to do over again I would still buy one but, won't buy a second unit until they come out with a High Def model.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine also is flawless. I put a WD120 8meg cache in mine two weeks into ownership and speed improved a little. But overall I could not do without it.

MrScsi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.