AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm making backups of my purchased blu-rays that I own in fear of it being destroyed in a fire or scratches.

I have discovered that # of Blu-Ray movies actually have more sectors/data than a blank BDR or BDRE, how is that possible? Back in the DVD5 or DVD9 days... it was the same across the board. a DVD9 could have been burned to DVD9 Dual Layer no problem.

Touch of Evil UK import for instance has 1GB over the limit. 47GB vs. 46GB that BDR and BDREs allow... this is strange... I just thought *ALL* BDs were supposed to adhere to the same standard just like DVD9 rips can always be burned on DVD9 Dual Layers. I never had to overburn on those no matter how much the original DVD9 was, I always found a way to fit it. BD25 that are over can fit on BD50 if needed but anything over BD50 I have no idea... what do you do on these?

if I overburn it would error out and the BDRs would be a coaster. if I truncate I get playback errors and burned copy won't verified properly against original ISO or BDMV folder.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger  /t/1522332/are-50gb-dual-layer-bdr-...ssed-blu-ray-retail-discs/0_100#post_24477569

so basically its impossible to do a 1 to 1 burn? yes i've looked at the rebuilder... i havent dealt w/ avisynth in a long time.

If I gave you a gallon of water and asked you to pour it into a .9 gallon bucket what would happen ?

That's your answer. You can make a 1:1 of the actual video file itself if you cut out some of the menus and extras and crap I bet... But if the original is too big you need a dual layer burner and BR media disk and overburn but results are not certain.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my point is shouldnt pressing plants be filling into the same 1gallon buckets that we can buy anywhere? i guess thats my point. i dont thjnk i encountered this w/a full dvd9 yet. when studios encode and press dvd9 they adhere to same capacity constraints end users have when end users burn a home video dvd9.

i'm shocked to find out that bd pressed standards can hold more than end user blank bdre and bdr write once...

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger  /t/1522332/are-50gb-dual-layer-bdr-...ssed-blu-ray-retail-discs/0_100#post_24477643

my point is shouldnt pressing plants be filling into the same 1gallon buckets that we can buy anywhere? i guess thats my point. i dont thjnk i encountered this w/a full dvd9 yet. when studios encode and press dvd9 they adhere to same capacity constraints end users have when end users burn a home video dvd9.

i'm shocked to find out that bd pressed standards can hold more than end user blank bdre and bdr write once...

I don't know. You'd have to complain or ask directly to the commercial pressing plants. My guess is the commercial pressing plant method for MFG is totally different than the burning method you are using at home. And since copy your BR is illegal I doubt they care much to make sure they support that.

Honestly- the cost of a BR and the value on your time the entire idea seems pretty crazy to me. Considering self burned BR don't last as long as commercial disks anyways I don't see the point. It's cheaper and easier to burn them to a HDD, or even back them up to the cloud. (or both) or maintain a server to hold them with some type of duplicity or parity recovery. A blank disk is somewhat expensive. In comparison it's probably a lot cheaper to store on a hard drive. Under $1 per BR movie is my guess.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i know the alternatives (which is also a lot of time and $ spent on HDD) and time/energy it takes to maintain it. i do IT full time, so i know what it entails

... but in this specific case i want to play region B Blu-Ray without buying a region free player (even cheap ones). it's easier to just plop in a region free Touch of Evil vs. getting a dedicated region free player or use my HTPCs to play it back. the region A release will not include the same cuts as the UK cuts. this is literally the final movie i'm going to deal with in this regard/way. it's time for me to start selling my 1,000+ purchased blu-rays. it is way too many to manage.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger  /t/1522332/are-50gb-dual-layer-bdr-and-bdre-smaller-than-pressed-blu-ray-retail-discs#post_24477805

yeah i know the alternatives (which is also a lot of time and $ spent on HDD) and time/energy it takes to maintain it. i do IT full time, so i know what it entails.

There's a compromise: get an IcyDock DuoSwap and feed it hard drives as if they were tapes. After ~100 rips, you'll fill a 4TB drive. Bag it, tag it, shelve it, and get a new one. The media cost for hard drives is comparable to BD-R blanks, and they are much easier to store and catalog.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know... but i like the physical disc, put it in to watch a single movie type a guy =P. surely this is the forum where people like me are appreciated

aaanyways... just shocking the BD standard is so different vs. a DVD book types.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts

You may need to do a full format of the BD-RE disc. It takes forever, but often gives you the sectors you need.

No, I don't know why. 

·
Registered
9,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger  /t/1522332/are-50gb-dual-layer-bdr-and-bdre-smaller-than-pressed-blu-ray-retail-discs#post_24478168

i know... but i like the physical disc, put it in to watch a single movie type a guy =P. surely this is the forum where people like me are appreciated

aaanyways... just shocking the BD standard is so different vs. a DVD book types.

Nope. Most here rip the disc and never touch it again. Then we sit back with a remote and pull up a pretty list of our movies and hit play.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if pressed discs are intentionally larger than burned discs just as another method of copy protection.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast  /t/1522332/are-50gb-dual-layer-bdr-...ssed-blu-ray-retail-discs/0_100#post_24478245

You may need to do a full format of the BD-RE disc. It takes forever, but often gives you the sectors you need.

No, I don't know why. 

that's interesting lastbutnotleast, i will try that. but why does it still prompt with a BD-R dual layer 50GB? that's write once and totally clear. i've burneed through 5 or 6 coasters that way
so sad and expensive....

bryan that would an interesting poll to take =P i'm going to take a guess that it's 50/50 in the avs community

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lastbutnot least, i think you just resolved my issue!! i just inserted a BDR DL 50GB write once and press burn and it's proceeding!

i hope i dont get a coaster! this is on a new burner i just got.

my previous 2 or 3 BD burners are crapping out or churning out coasters
sadness.

edit: i spoke too soon!

another coaster down the tube

·
Registered
11,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger  /t/1522332/are-50gb-dual-layer-bdr-and-bdre-smaller-than-pressed-blu-ray-retail-discs#post_24478719
i just inserted a BDR DL 50GB write once
You don't format those, you only need to format re-writables, which is when the "extra" sectors show up.

Sorry you're having so much trouble.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast  /t/1522332/are-50gb-dual-layer-bdr-...ssed-blu-ray-retail-discs/0_100#post_24478857

You don't format those, you only need to format re-writables, which is when the "extra" sectors show up.

Sorry you're having so much trouble.

i know, i didn't. i just started writing it once on a whim and it bypassed the prompt... sadly it was still unable to makea successful burn

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
From WiKi, I saw BD-ROM 50GB is actually 47,732MB. From the memory/IIRC, commercially pressed BD ROM can contain data in an area that is not supported by BD-R or BD-RE for obvious reasons. Like others have mentioned, you are just wasting money and time on this, IMO. It's probably cheaper to just buy another copy of the disc. Or store the rip on NAS.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if commercial discs are pressed with more sectors than burnable media. Considering how high the capacity of a BD is, adding extra sectors probably wouldn't cause read problems the same way it does with low-capacity CD media. The new UHD BD standard is reportedly going to adopt 100 GB triple layer discs (33 GB / layer), so unlike the DVD standard, BD capacities are constantly being tweaked and raised.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts