Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All,

Are all of the current and expected-for-2005 DLP products being marketed as 1080P based on a 960x1080P DMD using a pseudo-wobulation (or what I like to call 'shake & bake) approach to attain the 1920x1080 pixel matrix?

Or, is there or will there be by year's end a DLP RPTV product that will feature a DMD with 1920x1080 mirror array? Just curious, and thanks for any enlightenment.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Nope...it's the shake & bake...but it looks very good on screen.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFerret
Afternoon All,

Are all of the current and expected-for-2005 DLP products being marketed as 1080P based on a 960x1080P DMD using a pseudo-wobulation (or what I like to call 'shake & bake) approach to attain the 1920x1080 pixel matrix?

Or, is there or will there be by year's end a DLP RPTV product that will feature a DMD with 1920x1080 mirror array? Just curious, and thanks for any enlightenment.
No, just this year's DLPs have the wobulated, psuedo-1080P chip. It doesn't look that bad, but does introduce some artifacting. The best 1080P sets with full 1920x1080 chips haven't been released yet but will out in the next few months: all LCOS Based sets. Sony SXRD, JVC D-ILA, Hitachi LCOS. LG LCOS. Maybe some others, i don't know, but some, or all will surely be better than these wobulated-chip sets.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammiK
all LCOS Based sets. Sony SXRD, JVC D-ILA, Hitachi LCOS. LG LCOS. Maybe some others, i don't know, but some, or all will surely be better than these wobulated-chip sets.
He asked about dlp's; and the answer is 'yes', they all use the same TI chip, informally called the xHD4.

And it is very reassuring to hear someone predict the PQ of sets that are yet to appear; wish I were able to predict the future with certainty.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill
He asked about dlp's; and the answer is 'yes', they all use the same TI chip, informally called the xHD4.

And it is very reassuring to hear someone predict the PQ of sets that are yet to appear; wish I were able to predict the future with certainty.
It's not hard when you see what's out there now. Also these technologies are evolving so rapidly, newer will always be better for a while to come. Go to stores, look for yourself. There is no 1080P set out yet that is worthwhile. There may be in a few months, maybe not. That's why we have eyes and legs.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
It's not hard when you see what's out there now. Also these technologies are evolving so rapidly, newer will always be better for a while to come. Go to stores, look for yourself. There is no 1080P set out yet that is worthwhile. There may be in a few months, maybe not. That's why we have eyes and legs.
Samsung can't produce the 1080p Samsung's fast enough. I am sure

Mitsubishi will run into the same problem.

All the informed AVS members on this forum who have purchased a

Samsung 1080p are just plain stupid. It takes a real genius like you to

help us determine what we want and we like.

Ha!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce
Samsung can't produce the 1080p Samsung's fast enough. I am sure

Mitsubishi will run into the same problem.

All the informed AVS members on this formum who have purchased a

Samsung 1080p are just plain stupid. It takes genius like you to

help us determine what we want and we like.

Ha!
Don't know about that, but i do know they are sure helping Sony sell TVs like hotcakes.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Quote:
The best 1080P sets with full 1920x1080 chips haven't been released yet but will out in the next few months: all LCOS Based sets. Sony SXRD, JVC D-ILA, Hitachi LCOS. LG LCOS. Maybe some others, i don't know, but some, or all will surely be better than these wobulated-chip sets.
WOW you compared all these sets before they even come out... :confused: Another useful or should I say useless post from Sammik :rolleyes:

·
Registered
310 Posts
SammiK,

1920x1080p is a resolution. There are resolution charts used to determine if a display can resolve that resolution. If it can, then it can. It's that simple.

There is no such thing as "psuedo 1920x1080p".

Your confusion over the concepts of *how* to display a resolution is sad.

:(

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancethereal
SammiK,

1920x1080p is a resolution. There are resolution charts used to determine if a display can resolve that resolution. If it can, then it can. It's that simple.

There is no such thing as "psuedo 1920x1080p".

Your confusion over the concepts of *how* to display a resolution is sad.

:(
High-end 9 in. CRTs - the benchmark for all displays - display one beam of

electrons at a time - I wonder what Sammik would call this - ultra psuedo 1080p?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Quote:

electrons at a time - I wonder what Sammik would call this - ultra psuedo 1080p?
If you follow his post you will see he is totally clueless...he repeats what others say. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:

Spit hairs about resolution vs. resolution displayed all you want, but wobulation tech is not quite true 1080p.

It may look great! I don't know, haven't seen it. But its not true 1080p ala Qualia and others.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Ballew
Spit hairs about resolution vs. resolution displayed all you want, but wobulation tech is not quite true 1080p.

It may look great! I don't know, haven't seen it. But its not true 1080p ala Qualia and others.
Why isn't it?

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651
If you follow his post you will see he is totally clueless...he repeats what others say. :rolleyes:
I actually thought he was Gazelle but after reading a number of his posts I realized

that even Gazelle is not that clueless :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
There is no 1080P set out yet that is worthwhile.
I don't know about everyone else but my new 6168 is an extremely worthwhile purchase. I love it. So i guess that makes you a troll?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Ballew
It may look great! I don't know, haven't seen it
Maybe you should...it might change your thinking :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You guys should calm down. This is only TV's and it is a very valid opinion held by many more knowledgeable people than Sammy or you, or me, that says these wobulated chips produce artifacts, artificiality and unnatural "smoothness" and PQ will be much better and more accurate on sets with true,full 1920x1080 chips.

The only examples you can legitimately compare these "wobulated" 1080 DLP's against so far are the Sony Qualia 006 and the JVC-DILA 1080P shown at the CES. Both of these examples beat the PQ on the "wobble" sets hands down by overwhelming opinion, so no matter how many DLP or Samsung defenders want to flame, attack or debase these opinions, in the REAL WORLD, on this PLANE OF REALITY, the incontravertable truth remains the score at the moment is: FULL, REAL 1080P chips = 2, half, or wobulated, or 960x1080 chips = ZERO! End of argument until a wobulated 1080P set comes out that can match the only two full 1080P sets shown to the public. Until that point you really have no logical argument and just sound shrill trying to shout down with numbers, the opposition, who has the demonstrably stronger argument....

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
True 720p DLP chip sets outperformed wombled 720p sets, but many are content with both.

True 1080p DLP sets if/when produced will do the same.

Problem is now, many buying the half mirror count chip,

would rather buy a full 1920x1080 chip.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT
True 720p DLP chip sets outperformed wombled 720p sets, but many are content with both.

True 1080p DLP sets if/when produced will do the same.

Problem is now, many buying the half mirror count chip,

would rather buy a full 1920x1080 chip.
Certainly true of HD+ vs. xHD2.

But this is not always necessary true. The way wobulated xHD4

chips work is that they create an interpolated resolution much

higher than 1080p which has the effect of less pixelation

and a smoother film-like picture.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle
You guys should calm down. This is only TV's and it is a very valid opinion held by many more knowledgeable people than Sammy or you, or me, that says these wobulated chips produce artifacts, artificiality and unnatural "smoothness" and PQ will be much better and more accurate on sets with true,full 1920x1080 chips.

The only examples you can legitimately compare these "wobulated" 1080 DLP's against so far are the Sony Qualia 006 and the JVC-DILA 1080P shown at the CES. Both of these examples beat the PQ on the "wobble" sets hands down by overwhelming opinion, so no matter how many DLP or Samsung defenders want to flame, attack or debase these opinions, in the REAL WORLD, on this PLANE OF REALITY, the incontravertable truth remains the score at the moment is: FULL, REAL 1080P chips = 2, half, or wobulated, or 960x1080 chips = ZERO! End of argument until a wobulated 1080P set comes out that can match the only two full 1080P sets shown to the public. Until that point you really have no logical argument and just sound shrill trying to shout down with numbers, the opposition, who has the demonstrably stronger argument....
The production JVC 1080p's have not shipped so you can keep promoting

them for the 5 cents a post they pay you but until they ship they are vaporware.

SXRDs have not shipped but at least we have the outstanding Qualia 06 to

compare wheres previous JVC D-ILA sets are junk except for people who

want to watch day time sports in a brghtly lit room.

I have compared Samsung/Mitsubish 1080p DLPs to the Qualia 06 and

for movies with dark content 1080p DLP is better due to better blacks and higher

CR. I could not detect any additonal sharpness on the Qualia but would

be willing to concede "slightly" more sharpeness but certainly nothing most

people would even notice.

Read the Perfect Vison review of the Qualia 06 and note the false contouring

and other artifacts they observed on the Qualia 06. Read the Sound and

Vision review where they report the problems they observed with black levels

and artifacting on the Qualia 06.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.