AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While not about audio, I thought it's not much of a stretch at all to see parallels. Hope you enjoy it .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
375 Posts
Absolutely, as long as everyone is a clone of each other!



Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and they're all quite different!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,156 Posts
Define "valid."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
When presented as such they are completely valid. That's the beauty of opinions. A common problem occurs when an attempt is made to pass an opinion as established fact. That would be bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,809 Posts
I like the part that went something like


Of course scientists know they do not know everything, otherwise they'd stop.


And of course the line "put them in the f***ing sack"


Edit: Of course all opinions are not equally valid - my opinion matters more to me than

anybody else's opinion. But wait, just because it matters more does not mean it is more valid. . .
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly1 /forum/post/16966396


If true, what metric is used to decide who gets to have an opinion and who doesn't?

Everybody gets to have an opinion. But I don't have to pay much attention to uninformed, illogical, or unsubstantiated opinions.


Just because you CAN have an opinion about a topic doesn't mean you SHOULD just for no other reason than you can.


The notion that all opinions are equally valid is ridiculous, and flies in the face of objectivity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, we all have opinions, but if you want to see some examples of people who belong in the bag to be whacked about a bit, you might consider the folks over at PS Audio for their audiophile fuses, Michael Green for his wooden tuning blocks, that guy pimping the Magic Pebbles, and the CD and Vinyl Demagnetizer folks for starters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/16966518


Well, we all have opinions, but if you want to see some examples of people who belong in the bag to be whacked about a bit, you might consider the folks over at PS Audio for their audiophile fuses, Michael Green for his wooden tuning blocks, that guy pimping the Magic Pebbles, and the CD and Vinyl Demagnetizer folks for starters.

Wait .... You mean .... OMG!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/16966500


Everybody gets to have an opinion. But I don't have to pay much attention to uninformed, illogical, or unsubstantiated opinions.


Just because you CAN have an opinion about a topic doesn't mean you SHOULD just for no other reason than you can.


The notion that all opinions are equally valid is ridiculous, and flies in the face of objectivity.

You sure like to argue with Ugly1.


Is that an opinion or a fact? Your choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/16966500


Everybody gets to have an opinion. But I don't have to pay much attention to uninformed, illogical, or unsubstantiated opinions.

Agreed.

Quote:
Just because you CAN have an opinion about a topic doesn't mean you SHOULD just for no other reason than you can.

Herein lies my problem. To reword my question: How is it known who should hold opinions and who shouldn't?

Quote:
The notion that all opinions are equally valid is ridiculous, and flies in the face of objectivity.

I disagree. Since an opinion is merely a hypothesis, and should be presented as such, by definition can't be valid or invalid it just is. It may turn out to be proven right or wrong using the scientific method but that is different in my opinion. An objective searcher for truth would test all possibilities without prejudice. To go into an objective evaluation with opinions of the hypothesis being tested ruins objectivity. How can objective science ever move beyond existing limits without forming hypothesis that challenge existing theory? My opinion is that someone needs to come up with opinions about how things work that are different from conventional wisdom then test whether it is right or wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,658 Posts
Debating is having an informed but typically opposing viewpoint.


If you need to learn, ask. Don't challenge IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/16966566


Where did I say that some don't get to have an opinion?

I don't think you had to say those exact words for me to have become confused by your assertion. Maybe I asked the wrong thing but it was a result of my not understanding why you said that.


IMO since an opinion is what someone thinks, right or wrong, to say that an opinion is invalid suggests what someone thinks about a given subject isn't their opinion. This doesn't even make sense to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/16966788


If you need to learn, ask. Don't challenge IMHO.

Ask who, God? Nobody knows everything and the world is full of pretenders who would try and convince otherwise.


Edit:
Quote:
Debating is having an informed but typically opposing viewpoint.

Being informed isn't the same thing as knowing everything. If it is what are you doing here debating? Do you know everything?


Edit 2: oh yeah alost forgot....
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top