AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XGA proj. (1024x768) which compress 1280x1024. Are they all HDTV (1080i) compatible (1080 - 1024 seems too close) or at least 720p. I'm new at this and want to buy an HDTV proj. however at projectorcentral.com they list many XGA 's with 1280x1024 as not HDTV and some with the same specs as yes.

thank you, I appreciate any assistance.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
You will need 1280 x 720 pixels to do NATIVE HDTV. All XGA projectors that accept HD input will downconvert to the projectors native resolution. 1080i,IMO, is redundent since digital projector don't project a interlaced image. A HD reciever with 720P output mated with a projector with atleast 1280 x 720 pixels is ideal. Although ideal is more expensive.

-William

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
It depends - most projectors are compatible with PCs with their VGA interfaces, so if you use a HDTV tuner card for a PC, and scale the image in the video card to the native projector resolution, the answer would be yes.

On the other hand, if you intend to use the projector circuitry to scale the output of an HD satellite receiver or an over-the-air broadcast HD tuner, better have one with component video inputs and a good scaler that has pre-defined modes for the scaling of 480p, 720p, and 1080i to the native projector panel resolution - like the NEC LT150 or VT540 do. Or use a CRT projector which can typically (but not always) do real interlaced display for 1080i, in addition to progressive display of 480p and 720p.

Gary

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Gary is right. Just be careful. I have a Proxima X350 and nowhere does it state that it accepts HD signals. I can output my Panasonic TU-HDS20 to 1080i, 720p, and 480p and the projector scales it to it's displays size. So even though a projector doesn't state it, it might. Make sure whoever is selling the projector guarantees that HD is accepted, and maybe have him test it first. It could give you a greater choice of projectors.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
All is a big word. I would say most is more accurate. Even my cheapie ($1700) Sony VPL-CX1 XGA LCD is compatible with RCA DTC-100 via VGA out.

------------------

Huey ;-]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.