I am shopping for a budget plasma, not my dream plasma. This could

become the basement TV in a few years, if prices and technology continue

as usual.

I'm not an audiophile and I will be watching only SD and DVD(s) on this

plasma set. I don't anticipate watching much HD in the next couple years,

unless it OTA delivered. I mainly watched Dish Network recorded shows

on a SD PVR.

I am seriously space restricted, so I limited my final choices to those

that fit well and which are affordable to me.

Any advice appreciated. The room I'll be using it in has lots of windows

and glare could be an issue, but I will have curtains to help control that.

I don't want to buy junk, but budget is a main concern after dimensions.

Don't want to spend more than $3000. $2300 would be even better.

The 46" proview is very appealing to me, but very little exists about it.
http://www.proview-usa.com/specsheets/mh462su.pdf

The 50" Tatung is also very appealing, as it is HD vs. ED (even though I don't need it, IMHO) ... but a little more money, but a perfect size and inexpensive for a 50.

The 42" panny has been my leading choice, but its a little small for the space I have. My rationalie for getting it would be that its a good choice for now and in 3 years, I'll be able to afford a better 50 and I'll move it to the basement then.

The 50" panny (could wait for the forthcoming 8UK) would be nice, but again its a little over my budget and I won't be watching any HD in the next 2-3 years.

Sets under consideration:

------------------------------------

Proview MH-462SU - 46" - 1500:1 - ED - $2300 shipped

Tatung P50BSAT (or P50BSAT-U02) - 50" - 3000:1 - HD - $2950 shipped

Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK - 42" - 4000:1 - ED - $2200 shipped (+stand)

Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY - 50" - 3000:1 - HD - $3800 shipped (+stand)

You advice/opinions are welcomed.

Thx,

Scott

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would the proview be a huge step down from the panny ? I do like the 46" size a lot better and the built in speakers and dual NTSC tuners are also kind of nice.

Is tatung garbage? .... or could it be good like the daewoo 46 I have been reading about on here

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, I'm a novice with plasmas but I'm wondering if a plasma is the right choice for you.

You say you are space constrained but want a 50 inch (not sure what space constrained means)

You don't plan to watch HD but this is where plasma's excel. SD can be very good on a plasma but you might be disappointed relative to a standard TV since you will likely need to stretch the pic and consensus seems to be that regular TV's handle SD better.

That being said, consensus also seems to be that the ED panasonic is one of the best for watching SD.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments.

When I said "space constrained", I actually meant that I was trying to put the TV into a built in media center (thats framed and drywalled in), so that restricts my physical TV size to about 47.6" wide by 32" high (and depth usually not an issue on any of these plasmas).

The room it will be going into is very large, 20' x 20' or larger... and I would suspect the viewing distance from the TV will be 10' or more.

I was originally looking at DLP sets, but changed course to plasma when I heard that plasma would work better in a high glare environment and I couldn't afford a larger LCD.

I also didn't like some of the issue with DLP I read about ... so I decided that plasma would be best.

Your right, I don't really need the 16"9 ratio for SD ... and I personally hate the stretched pictures ... my brother in laws 60" pioneer is a beauty, but I'd rather watch with the strip than with is stretched.

Is there a way to watch a plasma SD show without a strip in a way that is not harmful to the plasma? Is this a big issue any more?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did look at the vizio (and liked it a lot) -- but it was just a tad too wide for my media center. Its about a half inch or less too wide. :-( I think I'm likely to go with the panny 42 unless I hear something good about the proview or tatung ... which is not looking too likely.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkers
About 6550 feet (not really in the mountains, but high for the front range of colorado)
That is high enough that you need to ensure the model you are considering can handle it. Plasmas have a tendency to buzz at high altitude. I am not sure what the current state of the art is on this.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If your viewing distance is more than 8 feet, check the Panasonic 42PA25U consumer model at Sams Club, which is much cheaper than the 42" Panny you list. The one you list lacks the stand, full inputs, NTSC tuner, and speakers that the 42PA25U has. I have this model and it is outstanding IMO. In fact I think it has better PQ than the newer 42PD50U, and it looks nicer as well. It does have speakers on the sides that cannot be removed, but I think it will fit in the space you have. Costco sells it also but not sure of their price.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think having speakers would be nice, but I only have room for speakers on a 42". Because I will already have an in-ceiling 5.1 setup -- I was thinking the speakers would not be necessary on the set itself. I will be hooking everything up to a pioneer 1015 and then sending the componant output to the plasma.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.