Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys!

I should not be allowed! I was lamenting the lack of a nearby Greek restaurant, so I am thinking, Okay, lamb stew, lamb shishkebab, how hard can it be if you go on the web and

pull up a few recipes, huh? I went shopping, bought some oregano, thyme, all the right spices, some dry red wine for marinade (and a little sipping, hic) and a half a leg-of-lamb, bone-out, near three pounds in all. I bought wooden sticks for kebab, onions, peppers, I am stoked! I want to cube the lamb for shishkebab, I want four portions of ~ 3/4 pounds each, cook some tonight and freeze the rest for later, yes? I lay the lamb out on the counter and reach for my butcher knife, a JA Henckels knife which I had priorly held in high regard, eh? This rather costly and substantial 12" serrated chef's knife doesn't hardly make a dent in the lamb, in fact it is crushing it into mush and won't cut thru the meat or the fat, noooooo. I panic; I've got nothing else here for tonite for dinner, never mind a huge investment and no way to cook it. What to do?!? Ah, the tool kit I use to fix the projectors with! I have an Exacto 20 piece kit with a big wood handle, and some two-inch #26 "Whittling Blades". I load up the handle with a blade and go to town; this thing is like a freaking razor on steroids, the lamb is cubed in a couple of minutes, and I can turn my attention to mixing some stuff for marinade (hic).

So much for professional kitchen equipment; if you want it done right, head for the hardware store!!!! Next week we will explore using a cordless drill as a blender..... :D

·
Registered
997 Posts
:D

LOL

Tim,

just checked out your new web site.....NICE

noticed you have FORD down as having done work for them, anything recent ? which buildings ?

if you ever get into Dearborn and still want some greek food I will spring for dinner down at greektown....

Kevin

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
OLE!

Ah, the old greektown flamer deal for the touristas..... I remember it fondly. I saw a fire accident once......

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I had a feeling you were going to go to the tool box why not LOL

Great post! But damn its windy out there tonight!

·
Registered
50 Posts
ok, thats your first problem,serrated knife, when i got married all those that she had went in the utility drawer but the one she uses for bread and i bought a set of straight blades and razor sharpen them myself(high carbon steel only)now no more onion tears.just to mention she spends a lot of time in that utility drawer getting them back out,seems i can't win but i like to try

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I hope you cooked it by prodding it with a 9500LC HV supply..;)

Curt

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That's pretty good... the only thing I've done, of which the wife isn't aware, was when I needed to bend two 18"x6" pieces of 1/4 hardboard (masonite) to a relatively sharp curve... (theater construction)... no amount of steaming on top of the stove allowed it to bend... so I threw the two boards into the dishwasher for a nice long hot soak.

45 minutes later and viola... easily bendable ;)

·
Registered
548 Posts
I thought the word SAWZALL was going to get mentioned somewhere. Thank God it was not.

Aaron Oz, what were you bending masonite for? You have my curiosity peaked.

-Garrick

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Say Kevin

I was one of the owners of Pyramid Systems, an Electrohome dealer for ten years based in Southfield, and a 25 year resident of the area; we had a number of installations at the car companies involving Marquee projectors, at Ford Truck and some other buildings on the Dearborn campus, not to mention GM and Chrysler and many car suppliers. Phoenix does not seem to harbor very many Greek restaurants; Hellas in Detroit's Greektown had lamb stew to die for; I am mucho reluctant to travel much so I was trying to recreate the experience without the travel. My enthusiasm for X-acto products remains high after today's kitchen experience!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Say Garrick

The Sawzall could have merit on a turkey or a big ham or roast..... as could a bandsaw :D

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
I'm not sure about the cooking end of it but, after waiting for my wife to go to work, I retubed a couple of projectors on the kitchen table. Knives make good screwdrivers in a pinch...

Chip S.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I cleaned a pair of Holley carbeurators and a tunnel ram intake in the dishwasher once...she wasn't too happy :rolleyes:

And I am the better cook in the house...she'll atest to that. But I do everythign with powerools in the kitchen...I welded in the sink once...I use the sink for catching shavings when I needed to trim some unistrut...I have one whole set of kitchen cabients for my pj tools and spare parts.

Gee I have an understanding wife!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
The topic of greek food has me salivating... All i can think of is Christinas on the Danforth in toronto and Mr. Greeks. LA seems to be lacking in that Area. (at least i have not found it yet)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I have been known to wash oscilloscopes in the dishwasher prior to refurbishing them. The oven set to it's lowest setting then bakes any moisture out of the electronics for 24 hours. Works like a charm. And once in desperation I made cheese toast using a propane torch. Power was out that day :D

Marc

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys!

Marc has a flair for creativity there, propane-fired fondue in a power outage sounds good to me!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Well, my wife was in the kitchen making these peanut-butter eyeball doodads to take to a Halloween party. She didn't keep the RPMs up on her hand mixer and she burned it up - it was totally fried. Note to other dessert chefs: Don't use a cheap hand-mixer on peanut butter-based recipes. Anyway, what to do? It's late, there's no time to go to the store!

I went downstairs and grabbed my 18 volt cordless drill, brought it back to the kitchen, locked a beater in the chuck and went to town. I was a hero... for an hour or so.

Ooohhh, if only I'd had TWO drills...

SC

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
use a straight narrow knifenot serrated for meat and you'll be able to keep the machine oil out of your marinades.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.