AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious how much of a difference a better dvd player makes with a LCD or DLP projector. Currently I won a lower priced Pioneer unit but am considering a California Audio Labs CL 2500. I am not worried about progressive scan as I am likely to upscale to 720p with the CAl audio scaler/switcher.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The difference is day and night. I use to play DVDs with a regular DVD player with component video out put, than I purchased a Toshiba SD 9200 with prograssive scan witch I use with my Mitsubishi X400 XGA . It has a fenomenal image qualety, but today I just purchased a AVS HTPC Patinum IV Elite with DVI interfece to connect direct to my LCD can not way to get my hand on it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I am using a EAD TheaterVision P with my NEC LT150. The picture from the EAD is far better than that from interlaced outputs and light years above the S-Video out.

This is a temp thing until my Vigatec shows up.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
The players mentioned above are all progressive, which it seems you don't want.

IMHO, you won't get a significantly better picture with a high end DVD player. For example, the Skyworth player mentioned in the DVD forum has a picture, according to those who have compared, better than $3K players. And it sells for $320. Certainly the picture on mine is great.

I'd get the Panasonic RP91, which by all accounts has the best picture around.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
68 Posts
G'day guys. I think I have read all the threads concerning

the 1050p. I use PAL only dvd's. Is this Skyworth perfectly capable of running my PAL dvd's (progressive) through my 10HT without any visible obvious artifacts? I read somewhere that there is a timing issue using component. Has this been resolved yet?

I would particularly love to hear from users running Pal progressive using the Skyworth.

(It just puts me at ease to know I'm buying a no name product that just might work!)

Ta .

------------------

Tertiary adjunct to Unimatrix Zero-One

·
Premium Member
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Timing issues are another reason why I am going to use the Cal video switcher for progressive scan. It has different sync settings. I think that is what that feature is for?

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bulldogger, tell me more about this "Cal video switcher".

What exactly does it do? Can I buy an equivalent without the CAL price tag? Do you have the Skyworth?

Are the Kennedy's gun shy? OOPS, Sorry...

------------------

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Bulldogger,

With a digital projector the best picture comes from matching the display's native resolution because it takes the internal scaler out of the loop.

I have a HTPC and progressive scan DVD players look fine, but not as good. There are external scalers that output computer resolutions and are great teamed with DVD players, but the 480i output is bandwidth limited by the S-video or analog component connections to 640 X480i, as opposed to a HTPC which will scale from the full 720 X 480 DVD resolution.

-Dean.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I do have a pc, but I haven't bothered installing a dvd player since my 10HT won't show it in widescreen.

(Still waiting for the mythological firmware 1.04 fix)

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.