AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm going to return my DLP to Sears next weekend before the 90 days are up. I'm looking into plasmas and love the blacks and detail on the panasonic I saw in Circuit City a few weeks back. What other plasmas, if any, can compare? I just want to see what options are out there.

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
IMHO None that I am aware of. In every comaprison I have done myself and read about Pannys blow away everyone else in blacks and shadow detail.

·
Registered
380 Posts
... if you have the budget get the Fujitsu P42VHA30WS

Best Blacks (It uses Panasonic glass) + Best Video processing (AVM)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Now I'm confused.

...as I have read it previously, in numerous other posts...

... the Panasonic displays feature the deepest darkest blacks but, as a result, sacrifice shadow detail. Relatively inexpensive.

...the higher end processing of the Fujitsu improves upon this level of shadow detail, with comparably deep blacks. Oh yeah, costs more too.

...the Pioneer displays offer the best shadow detail, but as a result, sacrifice the deepness of the black level. And expensive, just like Fujitsu.

From my readings here at avsforum over the last several months, I always understood this to be the general set of rules/sacrifices associated with these three OEM's PDP's.

Did all the rules change overnight?

...Why didn't I get the memo?! ;)

-jim

**edit** FWIW, I wanted the shadow detail (and the switching flexibility offered by the media box) so I opted for the Pioneer PRO 1110HD.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Plasmas based on Panasonic glass will have the best black levels. Period.

However, the electronics used and their capability also influences the rest of the picture.

From what I've read in the last two plus years, the second best glass maker in regards to black level, is NEC.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcasperjr
Now I'm confused.

...as I have read it previously, in numerous other posts...

... the Panasonic displays feature the deepest darkest blacks but, as a result, sacrifice shadow detail.
If you really want deep black levels you'll definitively lose shadow details.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that might explain it. Thanks for the link.

I'm now really looking at the NEC plasmas, particularly the 42XM2/S. With the AVS sponsored deal and the $200 rebate it seems to be a great deal. I have a PC I want to hook up to it and it seems to be one of the most PC friendly plasmas I can find (with all the resolutions it supports). There has been talk of the sony XBR950 using the NEC glass so I'm going to go look at them in circuit city tomorrow to see overall black levels. (might not be exactly the same, or even a close comparison for all I know, but I have nowhere else to go see an NEC)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gx35:

Why would you lose shadow details if you have deep black levels?

It would seem that the level of black represents the "bottom" of the grayscale dynamic range, and that white represents the "top". The shadow details reside in the middle (toward the bottom). A "wider" dynamic range would theoretically be capable of displaying more distinction between digital levels of gray, i.e. more shadow detail.

I don't have a Panasonic, but I would think that their 3000:1 or 4000:1 contrast ratio, combined with 1536 shades of gray, would provide both excellent black levels and shadow detail.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by avitt
Gx35:

It would seem that the level of black represents the "bottom" of the grayscale dynamic range, and that white represents the "top". The shadow details reside in the middle (toward the bottom). A "wider" dynamic range would theoretically be capable of displaying more distinction between digital levels of gray, i.e. more shadow detail.

I don't have a Panasonic, but I would think that their 3000:1 or 4000:1 contrast ratio, combined with 1536 shades of gray, would provide both excellent black levels and shadow detail.

I agree. My experience with a Pio vs Panny at home is that the Panny has darker and more detailed blacks at the same time than the Pio.

Bill

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by avitt
Gx35:

You're absolutely right. In fact, for those non-believers, check out this article by Peter Putman:

http://www.projectorexpert.com/Pages/shmontrast.html

He states: "Of the plasma panels I have tested, only those made by Panasonic (also used in Fujitsu's 50" product) can produce "black" levels that approach that of a CRT, and subsequently display a grayscale with CRT-like shadow detail performance."

That said, I still believe that CRTs have better shadow detail. But, Panasonic plasmas and those based on Panasonic glass have the best shadow detail AND black levels when compared to other plasmas.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"That said, I still believe that CRTs have better shadow detail."

Moi aussi.

"But, Panasonic plasmas and those based on Panasonic glass have the best shadow detail AND black levels when compared to other plasmas."

Though I think Fujitsus have even better shadow detail off the same panels.

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.