AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a subscriber for 2-3 weeks now and I've yet to see a program listed on SHOHD (Showtime) as "HD". I keep seeing all these Showtime HD commercials on D*, but are they actually showing them in HD? What's the scoop?

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clubwerks
I've been a subscriber for 2-3 weeks now and I've yet to see a program listed on SHOHD (Showtime) as "HD". I keep seeing all these Showtime HD commercials on D*, but are they actually showing them in HD? What's the scoop?
Don't know the scoop, but I'm seeing plenty of real HD on Showtime.

Just where is it that you're not seeing programs listed as HD?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz
You must be watching the wrong channel. Look at all the HD movies on SHO-HD for the next week alone:

http://www.sho.com/site/schedules/hd...week&sort=time
Yeah, that must be it.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. How come on the channel guide on my Samsung TS160, none of the Showtime movies actually have the little "HD" logo? I'm looking at the 4:30p guide right now for channel 91 SHOH and K19:The Widowmaker does not say "HD". I'm sure it is, I have no reason to doubt the good people at Showtime, but it kind of makes it hard to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I might be wrong, but a good way to tell might be this:

If it's 4:3, it's not HD. All wider aspect ratios are HD.

That may be over simplified, as it doesn't account for wide-screen up-conversions, but I'm not so sure Showtime does any movies in wide-screen that would not be considered HD.

Your mileage may vary...

On a side note, why does the AVS Forum Spell-checker not recognize "HD" or "Showtime" as a word? There must be a way to add commonly used AV words to the spell-checker, and there are some other examples also.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Clubwerks,

The guide on my Sony HD-200 also doesn't show the HD symbol for many of Showtime's HD broadcasts. DirecTV guide data is notoriously bad for details like whether a program is 5.1 or not, so this failure to keep track of the HD stuff on Showtime HD is not surprising.

As Jr. posted--if it's got black bars on the side, it's not HD. If it has no black bars on the side, it's HD regardless of what the guide says.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by juniormaj
I might be wrong.....
You are. Showtime offers quite a few widescreen upconverts, on a regular basis. Some of them look quite good.

The most accurate Showtime HD schedule is the Showtime web site.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
All I know is the number of SHOHD programs on DirecTV that are in HD = the number of SHOHD programs on every other outlet that are in HD.

(Read the thread title if this post makes no sense.)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz
Why would anyone want to rely on an icon on a STB instead is checking the source is beyond me.
I guess when you get 4000+ on a forum, you can be flippant with me. I have 30000+ post on a golf forum and I'm kind of a tool over there too.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
one thing I was wondering is with their HD commerical of showtime, they show the Jay-Z concert as being on of the HD shows. I noticed it was on last night and it was just an upconvert. I don't think I had HD when it was first broadcast, does anyone remember if it was HD? It was on right before the Tyson fight, which I believe was in HD.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clubwerks
I guess when you get 4000+ on a forum, you can be flippant with me. I have 30000+ post on a golf forum and I'm kind of a tool over there too.
Sorry Vic, but this reply gave me a hearty chuckle. The guy admits he's a tool, you don't often read that. Vic isn't a tool though clubwerks, he's a valued member on the forum and his point - while perhaps a bit harshly stated - is dead-on though. Those "HD" logos in the data guide are about as reliable as weathermen. Check the website schedules for more accurate data (most of the time).

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
Sorry Vic, but this reply gave me a hearty chuckle. The guy admits he's a tool, you don't often read that. Vic isn't a tool though clubwerks, he's a valued member on the forum and his point - while perhaps a bit harshly stated - is dead-on though. Those "HD" logos in the data guide are about as reliable as weathermen. Check the website schedules for more accurate data (most of the time).
Isn't this the kind of thing we all ***** about? The non-standardization of the industry. It seems like SINCE EVERYBODY ELSE uses those pesky "HD" icons to mark their programs, Showtime could get with the program. I mean, as much as I like to spend 18 hours a day logged onto the internet searching for things (and I really do in actualality), I'm plenty busy without having to cross reference my channel guide against www.showtimeinhd.com.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
They use to have the HD indicator for SHOHD. It has been a couple of weeks since I saw one. Even when they did, not all of their HD shows where flagged with the HD. 9 times out of 10 if it is a primetime flick it usually is HD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.