AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a small LCD (32" or smaller) for the kitchen and maybe the shop area with a CC. my cable company is slowly moving away from anything on basic cable and i do not want cable boxes everywhere because of space. anyway does anyone still make them and if not what

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cable Card is dead. Tru2Way is a failure. The cable companies love the box rental/lease fees too much to change. You will have to find a way to mount the box. Some people hide them behind the TV using a off set mounting system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did read the other thread and you are mistaken about cc, they are still being offered by most cable companies, so boilerjim you might want to get your head out of your a$$ and be helpful instead of just being a total d-bag when someone asks a question. some of us like to keep clean countertops and not have huge ugly boxes everywhere we want a tv, but hey that's just me.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Satellite and cable companies make multi room dvr boxes. You can have one box in the living room and have it connected to multiple TVs. This would solve your box issue. You should check with your cable provider, seems like the best route for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gagit811: thanks for providing a possible solution. it is good to see people who actually will help instead of acting like boiler did. people like him are a big reason people stop going to forums for help.

again thanks and i will look into that possible solution.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewyboy /forum/post/19542498

i did read the other thread and you are mistaken about cc, they are still being offered by most cable companies, so boilerjim you might want to get your head out of your a$$ and be helpful instead of just being a total d-bag when someone asks a question. some of us like to keep clean countertops and not have huge ugly boxes everywhere we want a tv, but hey that's just me.

Wow, great attitude. Sorry I misspoke; I meant to say that no new TVs (at least to my knowledge) are being made with cablecard capability anymore. Below are two "somewhat" recent posts I read regarding the demise of cablecards:

1. "I feel you brother. I absolutely miss my cablecard for many reasons and aesthetics was one of them. I absolutely abhor the look of cable boxes, plus it was one less device I had to program my Harmony remote for. But like many have said, the cable companies hated cablecard and provided the bare minimum support for those things. My old cable company was trying their best to get me to turn mine in after about a year or so. I kept that sucker until I had to move. Now when I mention cable card, its like "You can get one, but you'll get a reduced amount of channels" And now most recently produced tv's don't even come with the slot anymore. So I've just about given up the good fight for cablecards. I don't even think 2-way cards will take off because I've heard very little from tv manufacturers on their support of the new cards."

2. "Cable cards were great for their real market (e.g. mostly secondary and tertiary displays--bedrooms, kitchens, etc...). Not really sure who is most to blame for their demise. Manufacturers attempted to make them a standard feature far too soon and pulled support way before people were buying HDTV's for secondary uses. Cable co's would likewise also always claim they were out of the cards and had a lot problems doing installs on them. Now there is this gap where people are forced to either pay their provider exorbitant sums to rent multiple large/unsightly boxes for even basic HD on secondary displays, or are stuck using the old built in analog tuners and maybe enjoy the local broadcast networks in HD."

So even though I misspoke, the fact remains that if you want a cablecard and want to pay the extra fee for it (even if your nameless cable provider has them) then good luck finding a new, small LCD that will be able to use it.

As for set top boxes that cover multiple locations, yes, Dish Network is one provider that uses boxes that can control two TVs from one box. My son had Dish Network and had two boxes connected to four TVs. If you do go that route, be advised that some providers force you to watch the same programs on both boxes. As far as I know, Dish Network may be the only one that allows you to watch different channels on both TVs from one box. He switched to another provider because of other issues proving no provider is perfect.

As for me being a smart a$$, I think if you'll look at all of my posts, you'll find that overall my answers have been more than helpful to most people.

So lighten up and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewyboy /forum/post/19543616

gagit811: thanks for providing a possible solution. it is good to see people who actually will help instead of acting like boiler did. people like him are a big reason people stop going to forums for help.

again thanks and i will look into that possible solution.

Hit me again, sir!!! Or, as Oliver Twist asked, "Please sir, may I have some more?"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts