AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
That was a fantastic read. I guess I have to admit that I'm halfway guilty of this. However, as a performer myself (classical vocalist) I have my roots in live performance. I will resolve to be more on the ball in keeping up with local performances, however.

-Q

·
Registered
277 Posts
The same can be said about HT hobbyist, it is clear when you read threads in forums that many only are interested in movies that test their speakers and couldn't care less about content and would only watch a mono B&W movie if their wifes made them.

However, there are plenty of audiophiles/videophiles that also love the music/movies. It is rare that my wife and I don't go to a live music event at least once a week. There are several small venues (cafes, guitar stores, concert halls) that we love and are cheap, occasionally we go to the bigger rock events. My wife sees more movies in the theaters than I do but, I usually attend whatever the ASC is showing at the Directors Guild theater on Saturday. The question and answer session after the movie makes even the most boring movie a worthwhile event. I think that HT is still a new enough hobby for most people that they are still so in awe over what they can achieve sound and video wise that they haven't yet progressed into discussing what makes a film, editing choices, camera moves, etc.

Many audiophiles that I have met also play music as amatuars and love the music first and the equipment second. Richard Hardesty of Audioperfectionist fame plays the piano and has a piano room in his house that is as carefully set up as his audio room.

As to the audiophiles/videophiles that are more interested in the equipment than the software, that is their business. Who says that a hobby has to be enjoyed a certain way. Although, it can be argued that they are missing out on some aspects of the hobby that make it more interesting.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

I think that HT is still a new enough hobby for most people that they are still so in awe over what they can achieve sound and video wise that they haven't yet progressed into discussing what makes a film, editing choices, camera moves, etc.
For me, DVD immediately changed the way I watch movies. From the first few movies, I started noticing things about movies that I never paid attention to before, like cinematography. Lighting, camera angles, composition, even the use of music all became apparent. This newfound appreciation has turned me into a movie nut. Before DVD, I wasn't that interested in movies.

Quote:
Many audiophiles that I have met also play music as amatuars and love the music first and the equipment second.
I was always this way. However, I used to spend huge chunks of money on high-end gear thinking it would increase my enjoyment of the music. I ended up paying more attention to the gear than the music. I used to say "wow, the air and detail in that part was incredible. Rewind and play it again." So I traded the high-end gear for mid-priced stuff, and I found that I enjoy music a whole lot more.

Interesting to note, Stereophile has mentioned in their magazine many times that they will not hire someone as an equipment reviewer unless the value of their music collection exceeds the value of their equipment.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
"a flesh-and-blood orchestra, chamber ensemble, jazz trio, or blues group."

*This* is what I hate about traditional "Audiophile" perspective . Are these the only 4 types of music that exist in the Audiophile universe?

I'd buy an SACD player in a heartbeat if I could get something other than the newest Diana Krall or the latest remastering of "Kind of Blue" ...

(For the record, I went to no less than 8 concerts in October alone: Amon Tobin (electronic/jungle/jazzy music), Beck w/Flaming Lips, Sigur Ros, Frank Black and the Catholics, the Donnas, Lou Barlow (ex of Sebadoh&Folk Implosion), and a couple of local acts.)

Andy K.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
This definetly applies to HDTV. Go over to that forum and you will find a lot of people that say 'I won't watch it unless it is in HD." They are missing out on a lot of great movies and TV shows.

People seem to forget that it isn't about the technology.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kromkamp
"a flesh-and-blood orchestra, chamber ensemble, jazz trio, or blues group."

*This* is what I hate about traditional "Audiophile" perspective . Are these the only 4 types of music that exist in the Audiophile universe?
I believe the point was that acoustic music is the best medium for judging differences between live and recorded music.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Plenty of folks push a hobby into compulsive obsession.

I've seen lots of people become so caught up in the equipment and tweaks and room treatments until its no longer fun. I've seen guys critique the source material until everyone is ready to shoot him and nobody is having fun.

I also like to fish. I've been out with guys who have every gadget, every lure, 10 rods and reels, and dole out "helpful fishing hints" until nobody is having any fun.

I like to cook. I've been to dinners where the chef is still asking 100 questions after the meal is served. Too much oregano? Maybe I should have cooked it an extra 32 seconds. Nobody can enjoy the meal with him around.

There are some on this board who are so busy reading and posting and offering "informed advice" to others that I seriously wonder how much time they spend enjoying their own system between futzing with drivers and cooling and upgrading hard drives, and posting on the board. :)

My point is that its easy to cross from hobby to unhealthy behavior no matter that hobby may be. Maybe I'm too laid back New Orleans style to be living in Dallas. I can think of 100 things I'd like to do to my home theater but then I wouldn't have the time or cash to fish, or cook, or spend time with my twin boys, or heck even sit down and enjoy a DVD or SACD.

:)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
The same can be said about HT hobbyist, it is clear when you read threads in forums that many only are interested in movies that test their speakers and couldn't care less about content and would only watch a mono B&W movie if their wifes made them.
I can top that. A few years ago, right after I set up my first Dolbly ProLogic surround sound system, I invited my girlfriend over to show it off. When she came over she says "I just bought this video, can we watch this?" It was Fritz Lang's Metropolis! (See, it's funny because it's a silent film, get it? Silent? Surround sound? Awww, never mind....) :D

I will be soon buying a whole new system, 42" 16x9 Plasma, Dolby Digital/DTS, ect. She will probably want to watch Dr. Strangelove (OAR is 1:33:1, Dolby mono sound..... never mind.....)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by srgilbert
I will be soon buying a whole new system, 42" 16x9 Plasma, Dolby Digital/DTS, ect. She will probably want to watch Dr. Strangelove (OAR is 1:33:1, Dolby mono sound..... never mind.....)
Yeah, but Dr. Strangelove is an awesome movie.:D

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I am partly guilty in that, after getting seriously into Audio, I got much less of big name performers like Karajan because of the dreaded Deutsch Grammaphone sound and got much more of the purist recordings of conductors that I wouldn't normally listen to performed by 3rd rate orchestras of cities that should not qualify as a city. But I didn't completely jump over and started listening to drum recordings that were more geared toward audio effect than artistic values since many of the moderate sized labels still did decent recording by reputable performers.

Same goes for HT. I usually never watched the big blockbusters since they are usually the worse movie around. But after my HT setup, I now watch alot more of these crap just for the effect, albeit at home as opposed in the theater. My foreign/indie film intake is down 80%, while the hollywood junk has gone up at least 300%.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ain't that the truth. I own a great many Erich Kunzel CDs on the Telarc label, buying them for audiophile quality. Musically, they suck. Now, I predominantly listen to DG lp's and cd's, as well as Philips and EMI. These recording companies have the best artists, and there is no replacement for artistry. The greatest performances in recorded musical history probably sound terrible on Wilson and other very high-end speakers. It makes you wonder about the purpose of high-end audio equipment, when it cannot serve the cause of music. My solution: Quad speakers, not cheap, but not super expensive or supercilious.

With regard to Stereophile, the reason they hire reviewers with large music collections is pure economics. LPs and CDs are cheaper than a Mark Levinson amp. Their reviewers are normal people making under six figure incomes. Not high-priced doctors, lawyers, and CEOs. This latter economic group seems to care more about the showcase aspects of equipment (and cars) than about music and movie appreciation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, I'll admit that my system is far too modest to be considered up to an audiophile's standards. Still, it is a surround sound system and I enjoy special effects.

It's not bad that I like Band of Brothers because bullets whiz by my head. I don't apologize for liking music that sounds cool on my system. The author implies that people are bad for not listening to live music. I think he's wrong. If people are into the equipment more than the music/movie, that's fine. However, I bet it's rare. I think that production value just adds to the music/movie.

Vanguard

PS After rereading this, everything I wrote seems obvious. Still, I didn't see anybody else write it. :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Why is "concert-goer" equated with "music lover"?

I've been to about a dozen concerts in my entire life. Does that make me less of a "music lover"? The main reason I don't go to concerts is because it's usually too friggin' loud and I don't like dealing with crowds. Not to mention that most of the time, the sound sucks.

I have spent my entire life listening to music. Whether it was spinning records on my parent's console, playing tapes on my brother's boombox or jamming tunes on my walkman, it's something I've always loved. I probably spend an average of 8 hours a day listening to music, either in the background, or as a dedicated activity. Now that I can afford it, I have a system in the living room, the bedroom and a dedicated listening room. I also play music all day at work. If anything, I'm a music lover.

-Mike...

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think that, at some point, one should listen to the real thing in order to know what is missing in our gear. Of course that is almost irrelevant when talking about popular music, their performances are amplified so we never listen to the actual instruments.

In fact I think that some people are so accustomed to the sound of recorded or live amplified music that they simply don't know what to expect from a system, so they are "easy targets" who will believe any marketing campaigns when looking for something that sounds "realistic" or "accurate".

So, when I talk about the real thing I mean classical music concerts. Fortunately, 90% of the time I listen to classical music only, and I do know perfectly well how instruments should sound because I have listened a lot of live performances (an easy calculation makes me think I have attended more than 200 classical concerts) so I know exactly what to expect from a system.

In other words, I agree with the article to some point ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.