AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard this but have not found it to be true. A salesman that carries a French speaker (JD Lab?) told me that today. I thought the French speaker was bright and in-your-face and I didn't care for it. It did have a solid low end though. It was similiar to the 9nt ( 2 x 61/2" woofers, tweeter)

thx

bob

(dreaming of those 9NT's)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't think they are bright at all, but that's my opinion. Compared to many other speakers, you'll find some who think B&W's are bright and many who don't think so at all.

I can appreciate someone trying to make such a statement, but it's a subjective term at best that holds little value outside of the individual doing the listening.

The real question is do YOU think they are bright? Do you think they highs are unnaturally so and "in your face?"... or how ever the heck you (personally) define "bright."

--steve

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How I feel is: I love every one I have heard, including the NT center speaker today in HT mode. I'm hooked :)

bob

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I wouldn't trust anything being produced by the French, much less give them money.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wouldn't say that Jonny, Focal JM-Labs are probably one of the best speaker companies around IMO....just give them a listen and you'll see...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Made in France=not getting my money!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I find that B&W's have a slightly more forward high end than JMlab speakers. But I wouldn't consider either one of them to be bright. But any speaker may sound bright if you pair them with the wrong electronics. I've listened to some Dynaudios a while back that sounded bright because they were being powered by a Denon receiver.

I think JMlab speakers are great. I currently have B&W 600 speakers and thinking of upgrading to either JMlab Cobalts or Electras.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should say I heard the B&W's through a Rotel system and the JMlab through a Sunfire receiver, if that matters.

bob

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not familiar with the sound of Sunfire electronics, but JM's like good quality power. And you typically don't get that from receivers.

All the JM's I've listened to were powered by Bryston and Parasound Halo amps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have listened to on three seperate occasions to JM lab 826 cobalt and they have a very nice sound to them.They sound foward and open but not bright to me.

I also listened to CDM9nts and they also sound very nice.They sound foward and open a nice natural sound.I even got to do an A-B with the 804 n and for the price difference I am leaning toward 9nts.I need to hear them side by side again just to be sure but they did not sound bright IMHO.

I wish I could get the at least the 9 nts next to the JM lab 826s these are the two that I am very interested in.The 9 nts can hold 200 WPC next to 150 WPC for the JM lab.Thats where I am not sure which will play louder and still sound real good.The 9 nts sensitivity is 90bd 2.8v at 1 m-JM labs 826 at 92 db 2.8v at 1 m.The guy selling the JM lab said not to worry about how much they can handle.That not good info to me how does he know whats good for me,I told him I like it loud once in a while and he said again do not worry so much they handle.

What amp would work with these speakers to bring out the best in them.What amps have you compared with these speakers and what difference did you hear.Why did you choose one over the other.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't know if "bright" is the correct term. "Revealing" is the word most often heard when folks try to describe B&W's sound characteristics.

After having my N802's for a couple of months now, I would also say that revealing is the proper word.

The recording is absolutely critical as to the end result of what comes out of those speakers.

They are not very forgiving.

I have a set of N802's coupled with a Sunfire Cinema Grand amp and find nothing wrong with this combo at all.

Makes me happy! :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mmaster, depending on your room size, if it's small to medium then you wouldn't have to worry much about handling, nice clean power will be enough to drive them loud, but in a larger room then you would have to worry a bit...

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats on the 802's, eggman. That was my first listen to B&W's. In the same room, I preferred them over the Signature 800's w/ Levinson electronics. The salesman attributed that to the $4000 meridian CD player on the 802's vs a lesser Rotel CD player on the 800's. Anything less in the B&W line didn't cut it until I heard the 9NT's. They had enough of the big guys quality and a price point that I can live with (I Hope :)

bob

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spongebob
Congrats on the 802's, eggman. That was my first listen to B&W's. In the same room, I preferred them over the Signature 800's w/ Levinson electronics. The salesman attributed that to the $4000 meridian CD player on the 802's vs a lesser Rotel CD player on the 800's. Anything less in the B&W line didn't cut it until I heard the 9NT's. They had enough of the big guys quality and a price point that I can live with (I Hope :)

bob
Thanks spongebob!

Sounds like you went to "Sounds Like Music" here in Phoenix.

I think they have the same setup that you demoed. (is that a word?)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Eggman!

I am jealous of your 802's !!! I have listened to them a few times and they're easily the best I've ever heard that I MAY someday be able to afford!

That said, I also shop more in my price range - B&W 604's or JMlabs Cobalt 816's. The 600 series B&W's are decidedly NOT brite to my ears. In fact I think they could use a little help in that area - but I tend to like briter more revealing speakers. It could also be related to lack of break-in at the store or people puching the tweeters in all the time. I demo'd them with Rotel & Marantz receivers.

Unfortunately I doubt any dealers will ever carry both B&W & JMlabs, but I was able to demo the JM's side by side with Paradigm Monitor & Reference series. The JM's were much cleaner and more efficient when A-B'ing the speakers. They didn't have the punch the bigger Paradigms had, but they more than held their own. If you have even a decent sub the JM's would be the way to go. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron67
Eggman!

I am jealous of your 802's !!! I have listened to them a few times and they're easily the best I've ever heard that I MAY someday be able to afford!
Thanks Ron.

As you get a little older, affording them becomes the easy part.

Ya still gotta get them past your wife.

That's the hard part.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Eggman,

The 802's are next on my radar I have 2 months left on my trade up policy- I can get the full price I paid for the 9nts applied to the 802's will keep the 7nts for my surrounds for a while. IMO B&W's are far from bright actually the first time I really found out what "bright" was when I was listening to some 604's and A/B'd to PSB's there was a huge in your face bright I guess you would call it in your face difference. Not knocking the PSB's but that is what my ears told me. So the term bright in my mind has always been subjective but I understand it now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eggman
I don't know if "bright" is the correct term. "Revealing" is the word most often heard when folks try to describe B&W's sound characteristics.
I run N804s with a Denon 5803. I like the way eggman describes it... "revealing". I'm ready to throw out half of the CDs I own because the recordings are horrible. But, when the recording is done correctly, these speakers are absolutely music to my ears!!! :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.