AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to create a firestorm, but I have read that most Blu-Ray movie releases were considered inferior (softer, more grain, etc....) than HD-DVD releases.


I read that Blu-Ray used an inferior code(x)???? in its early releases. In various Home Theater publications, the HD-DVD titles seemed to get better reviews.


My question: Is this still the case? Are Blu-Ray releases now on par, using the same coding or a coding equal to that of HD-DVD?


I am seriously considering buying a PS3, but not at the expense of softer/inferior movies. Picture quality is extremely important to me.


Please, could someone inform me what's the current status and the outlook for future Blu-Ray movie releases???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Q: "Are Blu-Ray movies released still inferior to HD-DVD titles?"


A: No
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy /forum/post/0


Not trying to create a firestorm, but I have read that most Blu-Ray movie releases were considered inferior (softer, more grain, etc....) than HD-DVD releases.


I read that Blu-Ray used an inferior code(x)???? in its early releases. In various Home Theater publications, the HD-DVD titles seemed to get better reviews.


My question: Is this still the case? Are Blu-Ray releases now on par, using the same coding or a coding equal to that of HD-DVD?


I am seriously considering buying a PS3, but not at the expense of softer/inferior movies. Picture quality is extremely important to me.


Please, could someone inform me what's the current status and the outlook for future Blu-Ray movie releases???


Go take a look at black hawk down and open season on blu ray and your question will be answered
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy /forum/post/0


Not trying to create a firestorm, but I have read that most Blu-Ray movie releases were considered inferior (softer, more grain, etc....) than HD-DVD releases.


I read that Blu-Ray used an inferior code(x)???? in its early releases. In various Home Theater publications, the HD-DVD titles seemed to get better reviews.


My question: Is this still the case? Are Blu-Ray releases now on par, using the same coding or a coding equal to that of HD-DVD?


I am seriously considering buying a PS3, but not at the expense of softer/inferior movies. Picture quality is extremely important to me.


Please, could someone inform me what's the current status and the outlook for future Blu-Ray movie releases???

By many accounts Blu-ray has surpassed HD-DVD with PQ in several of its new releases. I think it has commonly been accepted that Blu-ray has had the edge as far as AQ goes, so all in all Blu-ray is performing at level we have not seen so far in HD.


I hope they keep the great products coming out!!


~Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,632 Posts
has someone done a side by side comparison between blu ray and hddvd?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
Not since about July 06, has HDDVD outperformed Blu-Ray IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0


By many accounts Blu-ray has surpassed HD-DVD with PQ in several of its new releases.

Josh, please point me to one of those "many accounts" where the Blu-ray version of a title available in both formats has superior PQ.




The truth is that the PQ on both formats is indistinguishable, when viewing a properly encoded disc.


As for the OP, the Blu-ray disc of CRANK does indeed look fantastic. The movie is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of deal, but I happen to love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0


By many accounts Blu-ray has surpassed HD-DVD with PQ in several of its new releases. I think it has commonly been accepted that Blu-ray has had the edge as far as AQ goes, so all in all Blu-ray is performing at level we have not seen so far in HD.


I hope they keep the great products coming out!!


~Josh

Beatboy has put it perfectly



After the rough star, BD has now equal or superior PQ, superior AQ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 /forum/post/0


has someone done a side by side comparison between blu ray and hddvd?

I have with MI3 and the HD DVD def looked better, but thats the only one I've had a chance to do side by side comparisons. Though I would say some of the newer titles I've seen are as good or better than HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty James /forum/post/0


Josh, please point me to one of those "many accounts" where the Blu-ray version of a title available in both formats has superior PQ.


As for the OP, the Blu-ray disc of CRANK does indeed look fantastic. The movie is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of deal, but I happen to love it.

There have been many posts, even one by one of the people who runs this site, that have indicated the up and down that has been happening with many recent HD releases. For the most part the reveiews for the BD releases over the last few months or longer have been very well if not great. They have been very consistent and above average with most releases. The PQ problem was early and long ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0


By many accounts Blu-ray has surpassed HD-DVD with PQ in several of its new releases.

ROFL.... when did this happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonStar /forum/post/0


NO.


MPEG-2, VC-1 or AVC / BD25 or BD50 - doesn't matter. It's all good. Just enjoy your movies!

Not exactly true. I am one that believes mpeg-2 when given a high datastream can look outstanding (I-Robot - D-Theater). But please note this quote from Peter Bracke, columnist/reviewer for Highdefdigest.com:

What is most fascinating to me is that, after reviewing probably far too many Blu-ray and HD DVD discs over the past few months, I am starting to notice a unique look and feel to each codec, particularly VC-1, which I find quite smooth and natural looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0


By many accounts Blu-ray has surpassed HD-DVD with PQ in several of its new releases. I think it has commonly been accepted that Blu-ray has had the edge as far as AQ goes, so all in all Blu-ray is performing at level we have not seen so far in HD.


I hope they keep the great products coming out!!


~Josh


More fanboy crap...


Like titles are indistinguishable, to compare different titles is silly and pointless (like comparing the last 5 discs reviewed on Blu-ray with the last 5 discs reviewed on HD DVD, which was tried)


PQ is going to be the same


As far as AQ, Blu ray has PCM, HD DVD has TrueHD (with more PCM titles now available)


Next step down though, HD DVD had Dolby Digital Plus, where Blu ray has standard Dolby Digital


both formats have strenghts and weaknesses.


Immature, unfounded ranting is getting REALLY old by certain members here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theforce8686 /forum/post/0


There have been many posts, even one by one of the people who runs this site, that have indicated the up and down that has been happening with many recent HD releases. For the most part the reveiews for the BD releases over the last few months or longer have been very well if not great. They have been very consistent and above average with most releases. The PQ problem was early and long ago.

The "ups and downs" of recent HD releases has nothing whatsoever to do with the format, but the titles that are being released. Older movies like The Sting and The Deer Hunter are obviously not going to look as good as Poseidon.


But to imply that is a problem with the format is plain and simple FUD. When people post on this forum asking for honest advice, they're not looking for spin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty James /forum/post/0


Josh, please point me to one of those "many accounts" where the Blu-ray version of a title available in both formats has superior PQ.
.


WTC and some other Paramount titles for example. By Kris Deering review he seems to agree with that also, and he has the reference setup IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBC /forum/post/0


WTC and some other Paramount titles for example. By Kris Deering review he seems to agree with that also, and he has the reference setup IMO.

That's "1" account. Josh references many. Where are they? Everyone on AVS that isn't blinded by format biased will agree that generally HD-DVD releases have looked better to this point. Heck, Kris will probably even agree to that even though he may have noticed better BD PQ on specific releases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
BD is better than HD DVD. Period.


plus we have something they don't.


Con-Tent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy /forum/post/0


Not trying to create a firestorm, but I have read that most Blu-Ray movie releases were considered inferior (softer, more grain, etc....) than HD-DVD releases.


I read that Blu-Ray used an inferior code(x)???? in its early releases. In various Home Theater publications, the HD-DVD titles seemed to get better reviews.


My question: Is this still the case? Are Blu-Ray releases now on par, using the same coding or a coding equal to that of HD-DVD?


I am seriously considering buying a PS3, but not at the expense of softer/inferior movies. Picture quality is extremely important to me.


Please, could someone inform me what's the current status and the outlook for future Blu-Ray movie releases???

This is a total BS thread. Of course you're trying to start a firestorm. A simple search on current threads will answer your question unless you decide to chug the MS koolaid.


Please provide a link(s) to back up your claim "that most Blu-ray movie releases were considered inferior". Maybe your post will be taken a little bit more seriously.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo /forum/post/0


BD is better than HD DVD. Period.


plus we have something they don't.


Con-Tent.

Oh lord... I am going to stay away from this thread now. I have no problem with the "content" comment. But it's unqualified comments like "BD is better than HD DVD. Period." that have ruined any chance of honest point/counterpoint discussions about the pros and cons of each format.


Each has strengths and each has weaknesses. If we could just weed out the people who don't pay attention to facts and unbiased opinions from both sides this would be a much better place.
 
1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top