AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. It seems all the Canadian made reference (not audiophile level) speaker lines are the most available or sought after speakers:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Naw, lots of great speaker makers from lots of different countries. There are some nice Canadian speaker companies though, but I think it's a bit foolish to name a single country as "best".

Although, I must admit I'm not sure what you mean by "reference (not audiophile level)"

Bill

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
What the Canadian companies do have the use of the National Research Center at thier disposal where they can have speakers extensively measured. Not many companies have that type of equipment.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
I think they're the best overall at mass market speaker designs. Better than our mass market brands and similar to, but a much better value than the European ones.

That being said, I don't think they make the best speakers possible. I think the US is still the best at that, overall.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/0

What the Canadian companies do have the use of the National Research Center at thier disposal where they can have speakers extensively measured. Not many companies have that type of equipment.

Absolutely agree.

Ironically many of the higher end dynamic speaker manufacturers use "off the shelf" or slightly modified off the shelf drivers and the majority of these drivers come from Europe:

Dynaudio

Focal

Vifa

Audax

Scanspeak

etc

The US seems to be good at making high end subwoofer drivers. Ribbons hmmmm tough call on where these come from.

·
Banned
729 Posts
While the NRC is a great resource, I'd imagine the big companies like Harman International, Klipsch Group, D&M Holdings, B&W, etc also have such resources available to them.

As far as who makes the best speakers, it depends on who you ask. I think the Chinese probably actually *make* the vast majority of them though

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano-M /forum/post/0

While the NRC is a great resource, I'd imagine the big companies like Harman International, Klipsch Group, D&M Holdings, B&W, etc also have such resources available to them.

Probably true, but ANY Canadian company can use the NRC......large or small.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
They make very good maple syrup.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
"A better question might be, is this the dumbest thread today?"

Well we can always have one of those "tell me which speaker is better" threads for knotheads who can't even make up their own minds what they like.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think I'm also in the China camp. I'd bet a large majority of the best speakers are from China (in one way or another).

Where they are assembled or designed is another matter all together.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl /forum/post/0

EC, great HT!

Thanks and the speakers I use are made in the UK (PMC) which use Vifa drivers. Although I have Canadian speakers in a 3rd setup (Totem). Many of the Canada's larger companies like Energy, Mirage etc have their lower end speakers made in China. Actually Energy's parent company API were recently bought by Klipsch so does that still make them Canadian?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/0

Every one knows all the best things come out of Canada

Well not new drugs...

The only country in the world that promotes the development of new drugs is the United States. We do not force price restrictions on drug companies, allowing them to put more money into research, but also making drug prices higher in the US than they are in any other part of the world. Because our medical system is so capitalist, most new developments happen here.

Then again, this has nothing to do with speakers.

Not all the best things come from Canada.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The U.S. isn't the only country to promote the development of new drugs.

I work for one of the biggies and I can assure you that Canada does just as much R&D, if not more, than our fellow sites in the U.S. and France.

again, nothing to do with speakers, but easy on the mis-information.

If you want to ***** by all means, your medical system isn't the best in the world, but that's not your hockey loving/cheese eating neighbors fault.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leef DaLucky /forum/post/0

The U.S. isn't the only country to promote the development of new drugs.

I work for one of the biggies and I can assure you that Canada does just as much R&D, if not more, than our fellow sites in the U.S. and France.

again, nothing to do with speakers, but easy on the mis-information.

If you want to ***** by all means, your medical system isn't the best in the world, but that's not your hockey loving/cheese eating neighbors fault.

Well, maybe my information is a little dated.
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...1/b3853059.htm
http://www.drugresearcher.com/news/n...e-seeks-advice

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRav3r /forum/post/0

If this is a dick measuring contest, we all know that Australia makes the best Vegemite in the world!

But I hate the stuff.

If that is anything like Marmite, I think I'll stay away from it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.