AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on building my own 5.1 speaker system, but I'm having trouble deciding on which component speakers to use. Car audio speakers are a lot easier to come by, but I'm concerned that they might not work as well as speakers engineered for in home use. Any Recommendations?

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
I'd use domestic or pro speakers long before using most of the car stuff I've ever seen. Some car subs are OK, but not all are.

Domestic and pro drivers are not hard to come by. Here are some suggested sources:

Madisound

Acoustic Elegance

Parts Express

Zalytron

US Speaker

Diycable

Creative Sound (Canadia)

and there are many fully developed and completed designs compiled here.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I suspected that car audio speakers might not be as good as dedicated home audio speakers, but what exactly accounts for the difference? Domestic and pro drivers may not be hard to come by through mail order, but it is a whole lot easier to just walk into a local store.

·
Registered
10,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD444 /forum/post/18127527

Ok, so I suspected that car audio speakers might not be as good as dedicated home audio speakers, but what exactly accounts for the difference?

Distortion, breakup, not compromised to work in the harsh environment of an auto, designed to work in an enclosure not basically open baffle as in most car installs, higher quality as the background level is lower in a home vs a car, designed to perform, not simply be 'bling' like a lot of car gear.

I'm sure the car guys will be offended, but they're at liberty to prove me wrong with measurements of the car drivers in a domestic environment.
Quote:

Domestic and pro drivers may not be hard to come by through mail order, but it is a whole lot easier to just walk into a local store.

You can get McDonalds most everywhere too, but sometimes it requires a bit of a trip to get real food. I find it much easier to order stuff online and then wait for the postie/courier to deliver it, especially if it's what I want.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Car drivers built for more room gain due to smaller enclosure of a car's cabin. TS parameters are different for drivers that are used for Home applications.

One other that was not mentioned in the list above is Elemental Designs. Their subs are used in car applications but can be used in Home. You can see that they home theatre subs actually and you can purchase their drivers and build your own. I use them in my little HT with remarkable results.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD444 /forum/post/18127442

Any Recommendations?

Build a tested design, either from plans or a kit, using the drivers recommended for it.

·
Registered
26,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard26 /forum/post/18127769

Car drivers built for more room gain due to smaller enclosure of a car's cabin. TS parameters are different for drivers that are used for Home applications.

One other that was not mentioned in the list above is Elemental Designs. Their subs are used in car applications but can be used in Home. You can see that they home theatre subs actually and you can purchase their drivers and build your own. I use them in my little HT with remarkable results.

You can add FiCarAudio.com to that list. Their Q18s and IB18 drivers are two of the top IB driver choices out there...HUGE displacement.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
TSD444,

How much are looking to spend? How large is the room these will go in? How loud are you looking to play these (mainly in regards to the L-R)?

When the TriTrix are back in stock at PE, the main components for the L-R are about 120 dollars, than you can by the cabinets (need assembling)

for 100.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-700

There is also a center channel that is designed for these.

You can also go here and look at proven designs.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28655

James

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:

Ok, so I suspected that car audio speakers might not be as good as dedicated home audio speakers, but what exactly accounts for the difference? Domestic and pro drivers may not be hard to come by through mail order, but it is a whole lot easier to just walk into a local store.

Buy drivers designed for use in the home, not designed for a car. You will have more options, and will spend less by buying mail order.

If you are serious about the plan of the speakers fitting beneath the screen curtain, it might be a good idea to stick with one thread so that everyone will be up to speed on your requirements. The small size of your boxes will limit your options.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm Looking to spend less than $500 for all the speakers and construction material. I know that's not much, but this setup will only be used untill I step up to a curved AT anamorphic screen, so I don't want to spend too much this time around. If I really can order better home audio speakers for less money than car audio speakers, then that would seem to be the way to go.

·
Registered
10,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD444 /forum/post/18130036

I'm Looking to spend less than $500 for all the speakers and construction material. I know that's not much, but this setup will only be used untill I step up to a curved AT anamorphic screen, so I don't want to spend too much this time around. If I really can order better home audio speakers for less money than car audio speakers, then that would seem to be the way to go.

Buy secondhand home speakers then, as you'll get your money back later when you sell them after building your own.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think kbgl is right about me proceeding with a single thread so that there won't be any confusion about my requirements. Is there a way to merge existing threads or should I start a new one and copy over the relevant info?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD444 /forum/post/18130350

I think kbgl is right about me proceeding with a single thread so that there won't be any confusion about my requirements. Is there a way to merge existing threads or should I start a new one and copy over the relevant info?

You could post a link to it here after you start the new thread, and copy or restate what you are planning to do. For the sub, you could ask for driver suggestions to fit a 1 or 2 cu-ft box. That maybe would get more replies in a separate thread. Have you calculated the size box for the sub yet? Was my 2 cu-ft estimate close? Will there be room on the baffle for a ten?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I ran 6 pairs of Kicker DX69's in my 6.1 sealed, series 8-ohm. I played "8 Mile" and it was so loud me and my GF were sitting on the couch screaming at eachother. It was like we were in the middle of the bar.

The windows and doors were closed. I gave the receiver a break and went outside to find the cops were driving up and down the road looking for the block party.

Sure they aren't super SQ speakers with exotic crossovers. I'm not sure I would notice the difference in a double blind test. I use HT speakers in my car LOL... 2 Vifa XT25TG30's, 2 CSS FR125S's, 4 Adire Audio Extremis 6.4's, and a Fi IB3 18. Oh and I had a Kicker L7 for my HT sub. Figure that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.