AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
You should be aware that the page to which you refer was written in October, 1998. Since then NEC has gotten out of the CRT projector business, I believe, and so are a lot of other companies.

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
That is correct, NEC tried to stay in the CRT biz for awhile but the business models just didn't support it. So away they went, leaving Runco to scramble to find another supplier (hence Barco) to make their PJ's. NEC is in it for the BIG #'s, and CRT's no longer fit that goal....

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
The sale of new CRTs is essentially dead. VDC has taken over the Marquee line and sales will continue but with improved machines and at a higher price which will essentially erode whatever sales of new CRTs for HT use that remain. TAW sells these machines. CRTs will live on in used and refurbishd machines.l

·
Registered
18,489 Posts
Mark, your last sentence is music to my ears!

Curt

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
No, I hope that the CRTs will live on the new market too.

What will happen in the moment in which Panasonic and Sony will discontinue the tubes?

There will be the same time-gap that happened for the tubes in the amplfiers? will we have to wait some years before the russians will start to produce good and compatible tubes?

hope than not.

ciao

Romano

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
It doesnt matter. Currently you can not beat CRT but the writing is on the wall. It is only a matter of time until digital outperforms CRT in EVERY way. How long it takes nobody knows but when that happens there will be an even smaller market for used CRTs as the high end guys will all go digital. At that point the current high end CRTs (9501LC etc) will be well within reach of most people as far as price goes. They will never dissappear only fade away.

You can look at the LP as an example. It is pretty much accepted that the CD is a parallel move (at best) from vinyl as far as sound quality goes in high end systems. Vinyl is still available and in some cases preffered. It will be interesting to see if SACD and DVD audio can convert the last vinyl holdouts. I think this situation is very similar to the Digital versus CRT situation although many years behind as Digital still is not up to CRT in the best of cases.

To me the bottom line is that when Digital surpasses Crt almost eveyone will embrace it for many of the same reasons people accepted CD. (size, durability, convienience, portability etc, etc) In the meantime lets enjoy the ride on high end used CRTs at bargain basement prices.

Sorry about the spelling.

Steve

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've read this kind of thread before. I've asked this question before as well, but never gotten much of an answer. Here goes anyway, with your predictions for the future:

With PJs selling for one-tenth of their brand-new prices, where will the future take us? Will they get cheaper and cheaper, or will the prices stabilize, or will they go down some more, but finally go up again?

I can't answer this question... I don't know... but someone out there could take an educated guess, if they knew how many CRT PJs were manufactured, how many are still in use, and/or how many will still be coming to the used markets from various sources.

·
Banned
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't really matter what will happen to them. You're doing to do whatever you want anyway.

If you love CRTs (like me), you're going to continue to use them. Although I'm closed-minded and I'm going to clutch onto my CRT projector until I die and spit on digital projectors ;) Maybe you're more open-minded though ;)

Audiophiles still listen to LPs. (they still spend 100s of thousands on two speakers as well, go figure)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Pocatello

There are a limited number of CRT PJ's at these low prices. The reason for that is all the surplus PJ's hitting the market. As soon as these surplus PJ's run out, the supply will tighten up as they are no longer being produced like they were in the 80's and 90's. If at that time CRT is still king of the hill expect prices to start to go up. That's my guess.

Deron

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Doesn't really matter what will happen to them. You're doing to do whatever you want anyway.

If you love CRTs (like me), you're going to continue to use them.
Well... yes and no. Price always matters. I currently have four CRT PJs, which I own because they were almost giving them away. I'll keep the best, and sell the rest. So, yes, I love them... but I'll use them because I can afford them.

Will I ever be able to afford a new 9" CRT? Maybe, maybe not.

Deron, thanks for your comments. I hope that is true. If not, then there might not be any motivation to continue to refurbish, maintain, and sell the old ones.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Here is what my crystal ball says.

7" CRT's, there is a flood in the market out there from the presentation market and it will keep the price of these entry level projectors down to very affordable levels.

Hi quality 8" projectors are starting to get harder to find (look at ebay and how few 808's or G-70's there are available) and especially the good clean ones. Prices for these have already started to go up as the entry level market after discovering the great picture from their CRT want to "move up".

9"er's are getting even harder to find especially low hr clean models.

It's supply and demand and the demand is up for these higher end units.

Terry

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks Terry... that is good information... and valuable, since you are a respected dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.