AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie trying to narrow down equipment for HDTV. I have decided to avoid D*TV, the regular TV signals are pathetic and the offerings for HDTV not worth it, plus my cableco is promising HDTV "soon." D*TV might figure out how to improve their signal - are they out of bandwidth? Why does it look so poor, I remember it looking better a few years ago.

So I am trying to pick the best possible STB for OTA. A few points:

- My TV does not support 720p, period. I need the STB to convert 720p to 1080i for me. I do not need 720p pass through.

- I would like DVI/HDCP and Component output. Figure that once I have the Cable-HD-STB I may have to decide which STB gets the DVI.

- I would like the STB to support SD and HD so I can think about picking up the signals on other TV's in the house, even if not immediately.

- TV is a Panasonic Tau, I have read on a few FAQ's that one should pick an STB from the same brands as your TV but I have read horror stories of the Panasonic STB's not converting 720p.

All the talk of the LG3200/Sony HD300 makes me think I should wait but based on my requirements will I need to?

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by andr3wpd
... I would like the STB to support SD and HD so I can think about picking up the signals on other TV's in the house, even if not immediately...
If you don't want to wait, AFAIK, the only widely available OTA HD STB with simultaneous HD/SD/RF outputs is the Samsung TS160. Of course, it's DirecTV/OTA.

Some of the new OTA boxes offer simultaneous HD/SD, but I haven't seen any in stores yet. [YMMV]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.