AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got around to upgrading the factory system in my 07 Sentra. Got a Pioneeer Z110 head unit, 5.25" Focal component speakers ( http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_0....html?tp=27775 ), an Alpine PDX 2.150 amp to power the components, and a simple Infinity Basslink II powered sub, just to round out the low end. Left the front dash and rear speakers alone.

The install guy put the component speakers (see link above for specs) in the door, both tweeter & woofer, replacing the OEMs. He then crossed over the front dash OEMs as well.

My question is am I better off just going dark with the rubbish dash speakers and running with just the Focals up front?

Right now it sounds good, but can't help but think I might be better off either turning off or replacing the dash speakers? The installer recommended doing the crossover so I did, but I'm curious as to other opinions. (Given I know very little about car audio ...)

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Damn, I bet those sound great - and they should sound alone. Disconnect your factory dash speakers. Keeping them means that best case, they are less sensitive than your new Focals and thus you wouldn't really hear them. Otherwise, it means their muddy high end pollutes the crystal clear output of the components.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Potentially it can cause problems. But if your factory tweeters are higher than your focals (in the stock woofer location?) then the dash speakers may actually raise the image. Since height is a function of high frequencies, those factory tweeters may be lifting your soundstage up actually gasp... adding to your good sound.

best thing would be to try them on and off. Don't be ashamed if you like them running. SQ is what sounds good to you. Now if you like them playing and you want to add a better pair of speakers then go for it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.