AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm replacing my F8500 because of a dead pixel. One dead pixel on 64'' TV may not seem like much, but I expect better from a new TV that I paid $2700 for. Plus, there are some reception problems when watching free-to-air TV.

How likely is it that my new F8500 will also have a dead pixel? Are dead pixels more common on Samsung plasmas or Panasonic plasmas?

I first noticed the dead pixel after I had the TV for 2 weeks. Was the dead pixel already there from the moment I turned it or do dead pixels take time to appear?

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpiker  /t/1522921/are-dead-pixels-common-on-the-samsung-f8500#post_24492407

I'm replacing my F8500 because of a dead pixel. One dead pixel on 64'' TV may not seem like much, but I expect better from a new TV that I paid $2700 for. Plus, there are some reception problems when watching free-to-air TV.

How likely is it that my new F8500 will also have a dead pixel? Are dead pixels more common on Samsung plasmas or Panasonic plasmas?

I first noticed the dead pixel after I had the TV for 2 weeks. Was the dead pixel already there from the moment I turned it or do dead pixels take time to appear?

Hi, I exchanged my first PN60F8500 because it had a dead pixel (all three subpixels) in the middle of the screen. My second one has a dead red subpixel in the bottom left corner that only shows up fully when it is displaying red colours. It is invisible on blue and green colours and partially visible on white and grey screen. I also experienced something very interesting yesterday - another pixel in top left corner all of a sudden started flashing a few shades lighter than the colour that it was displaying - for example if it was displaying blue skies, it would ramp up to white, and then back to the normal colour. After about 5 minutes it went back to normal operation. It is almost as if it was recalibrating itself. It has been working perfectly since. I am still within my first 100 hours, so I can only assume this is part of the pixel aging process. Based on my experience, it appears that it may not be easy to get a F8500 with absolutely no dead pixels or subpixels. It may be a side effect of it using a relatively new cell technology that enables it to be way brighter than normal plasma. The tradeoff is arguably worth it.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpiker  /t/1522921/are-dead-pixels-common-on-the-samsung-f8500#post_24492535

How do I know if I have a dead pixel or a dead subpixel?

A dead pixel is always black regardless of the colour that is displayed on screen because all 3 subpixels are always black.A dead subpixel can be either red, green or black, meaning that it will only show up if showing one of those colours. In my case, I have a dead red subpixel, and it is only fully visible when displaying a red slide. It is also partially visible when it is showing white or gray screen because those colours require the red subpixel to be turned on to display properly. In either case, you are better off if you have a dead subpixel rather than a whole pixel because pixel consists of 3 subpixels. At least, that is my understanding of how it works.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Really Dont worry about it unless several stuck or dead pixels like others have said its luck of draw, either learn to accept and deal with it or you cannot watch any new modern tech (lcd will also have this issue and so as well oled .

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
If you can't see it during normal content, than leave it be. You could end up with a replacement that has even more, or has other issues as well.

No brand or model is immune.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The dead pixel is not the main reason I'm getting the TV replaced. The main reason is problems with reception. When I watch free-to-air TV the picture sometimes freezes and pixelates for a few seconds before returning to normal. This usually happens within the first 20 minutes of turning on the TV. Samsung customer support has suggested that it could be a problem with my antenna but that doesn't explain why all of my other TVs don't have this problem and why this problem only occurs shortly after turning the TV on. I've also heard the idea that some TVs are just more sensitive to a bad signal than others. This would be a reasonable explanation if I had bought a cheap TV but the Samsung F8500 is supposed to be top of the line. I never expected it to have problems that my old TV didn't have.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2074572

I've just read on another forum that unlike most TVs, the Samsung F8500 doesn't have something called an internal booster, which might explain my reception problems. Too bad I only found out about this after I already ordered a replacement F8500. Why didn't any of the professional reviews mention this problem? The new TV should arrive today. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I haven't noticed any on mine, had it for nearly a year now, and no, I'm not going to look closer for any

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Every tv I have owned has had a least one dead subpixel. My F8500 has 3, my pioneer 5020 has 2 and my previous Sharp LED had 3. I don't even notice them unless I go to look for them. They are hard to find as I don't remember where they are. :p

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Every tv I have owned has had a least one dead subpixel. My F8500 has 3, my pioneer 5020 has 2 and my previous Sharp LED had 3. I don't even notice them unless I go to look for them. They are hard to find as I don't remember where they are. :p
I'm maintaining my ignorance as long as possible, but I have 'zero' dead pixels on any display I own ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
same to me,my pioneer 5020 has 2 and my previous Sharp LED had 3. I don't even notice them unless I go to look for them. They are hard to find as I don't remember where they are,
thank you

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I ended up with a stuck pixel on mine a little over a month into ownership. Samsung is replacing the panel.
That's sure nice of them. I thought most of these manufacturers had a limit where you had to have 8+ or something for them to deem it a defect?

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I've never tried to return one, but I do recall reading many complaints of ppl who were refused warranty because they had 'only' 3pixels or something and it wasn't enough to be considered defective.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ended up with a stuck pixel on mine a little over a month into ownership. Samsung is replacing the panel.
New panel lasted me literally around a day and then the TV developed a vertical line of around two pixels in length that looks horrible. Argh.

I tried to get Samsung to just get me a new TV, but they wouldn't budge. They claimed I had to have a number of repairs before I would get a new TV.

The TV is less than two months old. Right now I am not happy with the reliability of this TV.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
New panel lasted me literally around a day and then the TV developed a vertical line of around two pixels in length that looks horrible. Argh.

I tried to get Samsung to just get me a new TV, but they wouldn't budge. They claimed I had to have a number of repairs before I would get a new TV.

The TV is less than two months old. Right now I am not happy with the reliability of this TV.
Have they sent out someone to repair yet? If not, they still might declare the panel bad after a tech looks at it.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
I know with BB extended warranty, they will repair/replace if you have 3 defective pixels during the warranty time. So you could actually own tv for 2 years, delay replacing because of a few bad pixels and then get then make a claim. BTW, I have 3 bad pixels. Even if I get BI, they will fix. That's why I don't worry about the logos.

From their Geek Squad warranty.

5. Defective pixels for those products that have a pixel-based display. Pixel repair will be based upon three defective pixels throughout the entire display area;
6. Image burn-in for all screens regardless of product category.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have they sent out someone to repair yet? If not, they still might declare the panel bad after a tech looks at it.
Not for the second time. They assigned me a different repair company that was supposed to setup an appointment. I tried calling that repair company to get the repairs going quicker, but have not been able to reach them.

This would be the second replacement panel though. I wonder if the replacement was a refurbished unit or the tech screwed something up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I got into contact with the repair company and samsung is going to replace the panel yet again. This is panel #3 if you count the original. I asked if it would be a new or refurbished panel and they said they would like to think it's new, but can't guarantee that. It's whatever samsung sends to them. They also said it's not uncommon to receive parts from samsung for repairs that are defective. :eek:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts