AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
These movies were rendered at 24 fps for theatrical release and transferred to video with 3-2 pulldown. In the case of TS and TS2, the transfers were made from the original digital image files rather than from a film print. I believe Shrek has been transferred digitally as well, along with Disney releases like Tarzan, Dinosaur and Snow White.

The reason CG films are not rerendered at video frame rates is because the final renderings are rarely perfect-- there are frequently crop window and paint fixes applied to the rendered frames to hide object intersections, shader bugs, etc. Beyond the CPU time to rerender a film that tooks months to render the first time around, the staff doing a video transfer is only a tiny subset of the original crew, and the resources are simply not there to repeat all of the original fixes for a different frame rate. Plus, the original 24 fps framerate works fine for PAL (4% speedup, but PAL-using countries are used to that...)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Fontana
I believe Shrek has been transferred digitally as well,
I do remember reading that it was transferred digitally. We are in store for a great looking Shrek. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.