AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm under the impression they stopped manufacturing them, but are their still some available?

I believe the 130 and that ATI are the most popular?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously?

Wow ... so all the cards are still available, and QAM works fine?

Does this mean we might even see more cards on the horizon?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I'd venture that the MyHD and the Fusion lines are the most popular.

·
Registered
669 Posts
you may wish to clarify that "QAM in the clear" is available. Usually limited to local stations

available OTA. If your lucky your cable provider may not have switched encryption on

but chances are you will not be able to get any premium content through QAM cards.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT
Seriously?

Wow ... so all the cards are still available, and QAM works fine?

Does this mean we might even see more cards on the horizon?
2 very different questions. As has been mentioned, there are currently no flag-compliant HD cards.

However, does anyone out there have QAM working fine?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halstead
However, does anyone out there have QAM working fine?
Depends what you mean by working fine. With my MDP-130 I get the set of stations I am interested in that I could also get OTA (about 5 local broadcast plus their subchannels) - plus all the cable analog; so its working fine in that I don't have to bother installing an antenna to pull these in, nor the bother of rotating to get one of the stations that is weaker and different direction.

Makes it worth the extra $20 or so above the MDP-120 for me. If I do drop cable I can then connect antenna.

Yes - it would be nice if more channels were not encrypted.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
And QAM on the Fusion worked at least as good for me as OTA on the Fusion. But the Fusion software is not as good as the MyHD.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RalphArch,

How is the recording quality of analog cable using the MDP-130? I'm very interested in this feature.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Yep, analog cable is not meant to be recorded by this thing ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
(Asking in mostly ignorance...)

Does this mean that there does not exist such a beast as a single card that "does it all" well?

DG

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Depends on what your definition of "all" is. Seriously. I personally think the MyHD130 does it all, but then I don't need MCE or analog recording. Others will feel the Fusion does it all, but they don't need hardware decoding or dedicated outputs. Etc; If you mean is there a card that records digital, analog, OTA, and QAM well, supports MCE or other front ends like Sage, has hardware decoding, can upscale and play DVDs, record off to DVHS, and anything else I forgot to mention... no ;)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
While there might not be a single card that does it all, there is a single device that can; the HTPC. With the proper assemblage of parts the PC can do almost anything you want it to do. It is not a turnkey operation and building it will require some research and computer skill. Otherwise you will have to buy a bunch of partial solutions and lump them together. IMHO.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Very true :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.