AVS Forum banner

441 - 450 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I think most people would suggest directly overhead or just in front of the main listening position overhead (even if mounted high on the side walls instead of the ceiling) would probably be the best location for only having 2 overheads as that puts sounds in a place nowhere near the 5.1 locations (i.e. more noticeable). However, two front heights are certainly better than none and if you ever expand to 4 overheads, you can leave them where they are and just add the rear speakers. Most AVRs will tell you where to connect it for only 2 overheads.
Thanks.
I currently don't even have speakers for that use, and the only plausible placement currently is front heights near ceiling. I can do rear heights but then I have to deal with more long cables etc, which I rather not do for now. Atmos is fairly redundant for what I watch, so I like to try it but I'll barely use it.
Ah, so the AVR will suggest how to assign them when it runs it's pre-calibration test. Looking at the back it has Heights 1 and Heights 2, and not specified terminals like I thought. I guess I can play with the assignments after and see what's sounds best to me. The manual has lots of options on how to assign them. When I'll get some speakers, I try to figure out which ones are what you called "directly overhead or just in front of the main listening position overhead" :)

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting - I have a core 5.1 setup with those speakers at ear level with an additional 6 speakers for Atmos. My 6 atmos speakers are a combination of your A and B setup as they are front heights, top rear (in ceiling slightly behind MLP), and rear heights. I find Atmos tracks to be VERY convincing with this setup. I will admit the front heights seem to be less noticeable, but they seem to perform well during scenes that use them.
Just wanted to say that dynamic EQ increases audio to the surround, and rear heights, but not the front height. This will make the rear heights louder than the front

·
Registered
26 Posts
The spec calls for straight down.

Here's the deal in a nutshell...

Any compromise from the spec, whether it be mounting location, speaker aiming or even speaker type/design, is simply going to effect sound placement accuracy. Unless you're doing side-by-side comparisons, you'll most likely never know the difference or that there's anything off.

When it comes to the testing that others have done, with regard to aiming or relocating speakers, that's all fine, it may sound better to them, but does it sound better because it's more correct or does it sound better simply because the speaker is more pronounced, or are they just trying to sell a product or idea? Who knows for sure.

The only thing that can be said for sure is that the algorithms created by Dolby for sound placement and movement, were all based on the spec placement and type of the speaker. Even the spec FH/RH that may indeed have your MLP at the edge or out of a speakers dispersion pattern.

Unless you can follow spec or are fortunate enough to be able to do your own experimentation in your room, to see which you like best. Get as close to spec as you can, and simply enjoy it knowing that you did the best you could with your situation.
And with aiming vs not aiming, try both, if you have an in-ceiling speaker with an aimable tweeter simply mount it so that you can try both aimed and straight down. For on-wall heights, get yourself some boxes and tape to temporarily place them both ways, you figure out which you prefer.
This is what I did, when I was configuring my first setup. I had cardboard boxes with midrange speakers in them setup in various places in my room, when 2 young technicians came to hookup my cable, I heard them snickering. One said " you want cable for this " , I couldn't wait to put a bluray on (Jurasic Park), the surprised look on their faces said what I knew about the speaker configuration I had!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
For on-wall heights, get yourself some boxes and tape to temporarily place them both ways, you figure out which you prefer.

This is what I did, when I was configuring my first setup. I had cardboard boxes with midrange speakers in them setup in various places in my room, when 2 young technicians came to hookup my cable, I heard them snickering. One said " you want cable for this " , I couldn't wait to put a bluray on (Jurasic Park), the surprised look on their faces said what I knew about the speaker configuration I had!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
By the way, what are the specifics about the sound, if I leave my front height, and rear heights in their current location at the wall, ceiling junction, but change the assigned AVR location to top front, and rear front. (I enjoy the front to back, with the side to side effect I currently have), I'm just interested because of the "more immersive" sound that others are stating. My room is 12x12x8. 5.1.4 Atmos only on x4100 denon. If possible state the movie, and what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
If you can't hear a difference when you change the setting, then I wouldn't worry about it. I could only hear a slight change in one Atmos demo with the heights changed to Tops here (using heights plus top middle) and it was slightly worse, not better. Overall, the rest of the demos sounds identical to my ears and it's well known most real movies don't use half the immersion the demos use in such a short period of time, making it even less likely a difference would be heard.

Add to that the fact that Atmos doesn't drop overhead sounds if the speakers for that location aren't present, but moves them to the nearest overhead speakers (even if it's in the other side of the room with say front heights only when the overhead sound is supposed to be in the rear heights location) and logically speaking ir makes sense that there would be little or no difference between the two settings on systems that cannot use both at the same time (at least with Atmos; DTS:X tries to compensate instead of just rendering them at the closest overhead speakers). On a Trinnov that can render both at the same time, I imagine a real difference, but then it doesn't have to render/downmix to one or the other so you'd never change the setting there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks so much for your response Magnum X!!! I enjoy reading your well written posts on this forum. I've always felt that if there's a difference, it would be widely discussed with notations of the various aspects of different scenes that I could verify with my setup. When I learn about the release of a particular movie, I visit the reviews to see what was heard at select places on the disc to decide if I want to make a purchase. Knowing that Atmos doesn't just drop audio from a scene based on the speakers configuration, but uses the closest available speakers to best place the effects in the room I wasn't expecting a huge difference. Thanks again for clearing this up for me, in 5.1.2 the the same audio from 7.1.4 will be heard albeit possibly in a different position. Ralph Potts reports exactly the time location in a movie where good audio effects can be found, not saying I purchase bluray movies solely based on his review! My room is actually a small spare bedroom, we have allotted for my movies, and music. I really don't think I will be changing my speaker configurations with 8 audyssey calibration locations for a minuscule difference. Thanks again for your directions, I love how you aren't afraid to question prevailing views on this topic

441 - 450 of 450 Posts