AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 450 Posts

·
Banned
430 Posts
Mine are mounted where the ceiling and wall meet,but they are on brackets so I can aim them exactly as needed. I have a sheetrock ceiling. Figure out what you want to spend and if you want to cut holes in your ceiling,I could've put them in the ceiling but I like the ability to aim and position my speakers just right for me. What Happens if you move the seating? Like I said these are my preferences. I like Pro type gear in my room so in ceiling speakers are not going to cut it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im with you. Id like to be able to aim the speakers somewhat. I am on the verge of buying new seating so I don't want to commit ceiling speakers to a certain spot just yet...

In theory, are front heights supposed to be above your front channels or wider? I feel like that may be a case by case basis depending on room size/shape/personal preference.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
This is how I run my front heights

I have them assigned as such as well. Also didn't aim them towards mlp as they tended to blend/combine with my mains. Keeping them aiming straight out and with no toe in I notice more separation between the heights/mains.

·
Banned
430 Posts
This is how I run my front heights

I have them assigned as such as well. Also didn't aim them towards mlp as they tended to blend/combine with my mains. Keeping them aiming straight out and with no toe in I notice more separation between the heights/mains.

Nicely done, you have a lot of gear crammed in there...

I see you in the DT threads, would your front height speaker mounts hold a SM 450??

·
Registered
919 Posts
Im with you. Id like to be able to aim the speakers somewhat. I am on the verge of buying new seating so I don't want to commit ceiling speakers to a certain spot just yet...

In theory, are front heights supposed to be above your front channels or wider? I feel like that may be a case by case basis depending on room size/shape/personal preference.

I would say above your mainstream least a few feet and if you can just on the outside edge of them. It all depends on the room you have to work with. Mine are directly above my mains at the ceiling/wall Junction,I had no room to go any wider,but the sound is great.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts

I see you in the DT threads, would your front height speaker mounts hold a SM 450??
Thanks, yes definitely a lot crammed into my living room. There's also another PSA sub, surrounds and rear surrounds lol
Currently my speaker mounts are easily holding my Volt 6's(that I redid to look like mini PSA'S) so they should no doubt hold those DT's.
Here's a close up picture

·
Registered
17 Posts
The "above" is decent, not as good as in ceiling, but still definitely above, the "above and around" movement is excellent. The helicopter demo, while not directly overhead, is still extremely good, just like your being circled from above.

IMO, the reason it works so well is because of how Atmos actually works, it's not just sound out of one speaker at a time, but multiple speakers at the same time placing sounds where speakers aren't, which many times incorporates the ear level layer as well as multiple tops.
This is why the approved positions are so important, having speakers where the renderer thinks they are, allows for more accurate sound placement, for example a sound directly overhead, even with only height speakers, can still be placed there by using all 4 height speakers at the same time, using proper phase and distance calculations.

While this is lessened if you opt for surround heights, labeled as Top Middles, it is also still pretty good, compared to Top Middles with upfiring surround modules.

Honestly, IMO, unless you've done considerable listening to an in-ceiling system, you'll never know that a good height system is lacking at all.
If your receiver supports multiple overhead positions (for example, my Marantz SR6011 supports front/rear height and Atmos Front/Middle/Rear overhead positions), You just have to tell it where your speakers are and make sure to position them based on the instruction manual for your receiver. It's also very important to aim the speakers directly at the listening position. Even an Atmos setup that utilizes front/rear heights will be able to localize sound directly overhead so long as the speakers are aimed at you.

I tell you this based on my personal experience. It was a stretch when I updated my 7.1 system to 7.1.2. My very understanding fiance was wondering why we needed ANOTHER pair of speakers. It was part of my plan to ultimately upgrade to 7.1.4. Of course, I knew I'd never get away with another pair of speakers so I explored my options. My setup is basically a 130" acoustically transparent screen flanked by floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall black curtains. All three of my front speakers are behind the screen and curtains. I ended up testing out front heights (also behind the curtain -- and conveniently out of sight) instead of another set of overheads. HUGE difference. It adds so much more depth and dimension than what I had with my 7.1.2 (which was also pretty amazing). So, in a nutshell, my Marantz SR6011 is driving my 7.1.4 setup composed of your standard 7.1 base layer and four overheads (two front heights and two top-rears mounted on the ceiling -- all four pointed directly at the listening position)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts

From one of your earlier questions...
They should be directly above your Fronts and I'd place them as high as you can to get the best separation Between the ear level and upper layers.

Don't worry about shelves if you don't have to, e-mail Chet and have him send you some keyhole mounts, that's what I use.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
If your receiver supports multiple overhead positions (for example, my Marantz SR6011 supports front/rear height and Atmos Front/Middle/Rear overhead positions), You just have to tell it where your speakers are and make sure to position them based on the instruction manual for your receiver. It's also very important to aim the speakers directly at the listening position. Even an Atmos setup that utilizes front/rear heights will be able to localize sound directly overhead so long as the speakers are aimed at you.

I tell you this based on my personal experience. It was a stretch when I updated my 7.1 system to 7.1.2. My very understanding fiance was wondering why we needed ANOTHER pair of speakers. It was part of my plan to ultimately upgrade to 7.1.4. Of course, I knew I'd never get away with another pair of speakers so I explored my options. My setup is basically a 130" acoustically transparent screen flanked by floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall black curtains. All three of my front speakers are behind the screen and curtains. I ended up testing out front heights (also behind the curtain -- and conveniently out of sight) instead of another set of overheads. HUGE difference. It adds so much more depth and dimension than what I had with my 7.1.2 (which was also pretty amazing). So, in a nutshell, my Marantz SR6011 is driving my 7.1.4 setup composed of your standard 7.1 base layer and four overheads (two front heights and two top-rears mounted on the ceiling -- all four pointed directly at the listening position)
The reason I don't aim mine at the MLP is two fold:
- Since I'm using only Heights, I like the tweeter first reflection point to be slightly farther out on the ceiling (not way out) to help with the illusion that the sound is farther away from the wall and out in the room more. (But this could also be why my system sounds better to me, set as TF/TR instead of FH/RH)
- Since moving sounds around the room requires the blending of multiple speakers, I don't want one of those to be out of spec (spec is straight out) and possibly throw off the accuracy of the positioning by the renderer by having that one speaker in a group or pairing be more prominent than the others that are positioned correctly, to me this works the same way with actual in-ceiling speakers that also aren't supposed to be aimed.

·
Banned
430 Posts
From one of your earlier questions...
They should be directly above your Fronts and I'd place them as high as you can to get the best separation Between the ear level and upper layers.

Don't worry about shelves if you don't have to, e-mail Chet and have him send you some keyhole mounts, that's what I use.
http://s116.photobucket.com/user/blwnvtwn/media/20150209_171626.jpg.html

That's SOOOO much speaker to be hanging off one screw though...Don't you ever get nervous?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
That's SOOOO much speaker to be hanging off one screw though...Don't you ever get nervous?
Nope, I built my own brackets.

They use two 2½" screws that go into the top plate of the wall frame, but any decent sized wood screw that went 2" or more into a stud would be just fine, esp when you consider the size of the screws they use to mount the keyhole bracket to the speaker.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nope, I built my own brackets.

They use two 2½" screws that go into the top plate of the wall frame, but any decent sized wood screw that went 2" or more into a stud would be just fine, esp when you consider the size of the screws they use to mount the keyhole bracket to the speaker.
Now we are getting somewhere, this thread was dead for a bit...

Ok so my issue is im doing all my shiz in my small bedroom!

I just about got 5.1.2 in here with the heights 3.5 feet above front mains, got no chance of rear heights or ceiling speakers...thats a 0% chance.

Most ppl will not be cutting holes in their ceiling so thats why I use front heights as my atmos....dam sounds so much better than 7.1 PLIIz which was good tbf.

So shall I continue to keep my config on amp as 5.1.2 with the setting on front height and not top front then.

·
Registered
919 Posts
So shall I continue to keep my config on amp as 5.1.2 with the setting on front height and not top front then.
I use The Heights option in my Theater,sounds great to me,I would sad you ttyl both and use the one that sounds best to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use The Heights option in my Theater,sounds great to me,I would sad you ttyl both and use the one that sounds best to you.
slight diff in front height, seems more direct and less dispersed then front top....

Have to say....even if its not atmos or dts x...its worth getting a decent atmos amp as even 2 channels pcm input up-scaled to dolby surround 5.1.2 / 5.1.4 is amazing.

The sharpest upscale is dolby 5.1 input to 5.1.2 /5.1.4 just sounds so much better.

OBV atmos is omg sito. I played san andreas blu ray... what the F word....
Im in middle england here, putting anything in the ceiling would mean bye bye whole AV so have to wait but just amazing leap in sound this atmos.....

·
Registered
919 Posts
slight diff in front height, seems more direct and less dispersed then front top....

Have to say....even if its not atmos or dts x...its worth getting a decent atmos amp as even 2 channels pcm input up-scaled to dolby surround 5.1.2 / 5.1.4 is amazing.

The sharpest upscale is dolby 5.1 input to 5.1.2 /5.1.4 just sounds so much better.

OBV atmos is omg sito. I played san andreas blu ray... what the F word....

Im in middle england here, putting anything in the ceiling would mean bye bye whole AV so have to wait but just amazing leap in sound this atmos.....

Definitely well worth the upgrade to me also,I use separate power amps for all of my channels,I learned Years ago that receivers can't compete with separate processors and separate Amps.

Reactions: blatz8

·
Registered
15 Posts
Definitely well worth the upgrade to me also,I use separate power amps for all of my channels,I learned Years ago that receivers can't compete with separate processors and separate Amps.

Ive just had a look at what you have.... Dude thats some serious ship to say the least.

I always fail to understand the people whom dont appreciate a good surround system.

Someone I know has spent like £6000 on one amp and 2 speakers....now I understand the pure stereo sito but you cannot touch a good atoms set up or even solid 5.1 IMO unless it music only.

·
Banned
430 Posts
Ive just had a look at what you have.... Dude thats some serious ship to say the least.

I always fail to understand the people whom dont appreciate a good surround system.

Someone I know has spent like £6000 on one amp and 2 speakers....now I understand the pure stereo sito but you cannot touch a good atoms set up or even solid 5.1 IMO unless it music only.
+1 to that. I have friends that don't understand why I have "so many speakers"...Until they come over for movie night.

Im about 90% sure Ill be grabbing a X4300H here soon. Who else has one of these and can chime in on ATMOS/height set up? I am interested in rear heights after doing some reading am curious as to how that is set up.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Who else has one of these and can chime in on ATMOS/height set up? I am interested in rear heights after doing some reading am curious as to how that is set up.
My Denon X6300 asks if I'm using height or ceiling speakers in the setup. I chose height but I'm pretty certain they would get the same signal either way. I have a low ceiling and there's a soffit over half the left half of my room so I couldn't do ceiling speakers. Further, because of that soffit I had to push my front and rear heights out further than recommended. I'd put the height speakers as high on the wall as you can, after all, they *should* in the ceiling.

Audyssey has yet to make an official front/rear height ATMOS speaker placement graphic so I made my own based on combining some different configuration options they had:

Side note: If you can do ceiling speakers, do it. Front/Rear height work very well, but there really isn't a perfect replacement to actual ceiling speakers.

Have a question on what speakers to add to my 9.1 In-ceiling speakers and where to put them behind or in front listening area, or RH? I have 9.1 with FH and want to go to 11.2. Also would it sound funny if I have 2 as FH and add 2 in-ceiling.
Having Front Height and Rear or Middle Overhead would be fine, but if you can do ceiling speakers, I'd strongly suggest doing front/rear overhead and removing your front height.

When looking at any upgrade you need to keep in mind where you want to be in the future and plan for that final configuration.

Atmos speakers can be:

Front Overhead
Middle Overhead
Rear Overhead

Whatever your current configuration, the end goal is this:

Any step you take, make sure the end result is on that graphic. ;)

Dolby 7.1.6 Speaker Guide

·
Banned
430 Posts
My Denon X6300 asks if I'm using height or ceiling speakers in the setup. I chose height but I'm pretty certain they would get the same signal either way. I have a low ceiling and there's a soffit over half the left half of my room so I couldn't do ceiling speakers. Further, because of that soffit I had to push my front and rear heights out further than recommended. I'd put the height speakers as high on the wall as you can, after all, they *should* in the ceiling.

Audyssey has yet to make an official front/rear height ATMOS speaker placement graphic so I made my own based on combining some different configuration options they had:

Side note: If you can do ceiling speakers, do it. Front/Rear height work very well, but there really isn't a perfect replacement to actual ceiling speakers.

Gotcha...I guess Ill have to make the purchase and then just dive into things during the set up. So many things, so little time and $.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a question on what speakers to add to my 9.1 In-ceiling speakers and where to put them behind or in front listening area, or RH? I have 9.1 with FH and want to go to 11.2. Also would it sound funny if I have 2 as FH and add 2 in-ceiling.

81 - 100 of 450 Posts