AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am planning on building a HTPC. The machine will be targeted mainly at playing videos, so I'm not worried about capture cards, etc. However, I am planning on using a full ATX box. Also, I intend to make a machine that can handle 1080p at Bluray bitrates.

One priority is to use a mobo/CPU that can be cooled passively, or at most with a slow-moving, large fan to reduce the noise (the box is big). Are the current mobos based on Intel's G45 up to the task? Even if the CPU is a low-end Pentium Dual Core like the E2200? Intel claims the X4500HD GPU can decode Bluray, but I would like to know if a) this is true, and b) the mobo won't run too hot.

Thanks in advance!

Jean

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Yes the X4500HD does Blu-Ray HW acceleration just fine.

But the lack of PAP will mean audio gets downsampled to 16 bit LPCM. Unless you rip to mkv with flac audio.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday /forum/post/15593829

Yes the X4500HD does Blu-Ray HW acceleration just fine.

But the lack of PAP will mean audio gets downsampled to 16 bit LPCM. Unless you rip to mkv with flac audio.

What Jeff did not mention is that there are no video systems without this very same flaw. The only currently available way to get lossless playback of the audio is to use a Xonar HDAV 1.3 card which is not without its own set of problems.

The only issue with the G45 is potentially problematic 24p support. If this is not important to you then the G45 systems make a very attractive offering.

Disclaimer: I use a G45 ASUS PQ5-EM with the E2200 CPU for my Blu-Ray playback and it works fine for me.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i just bought an nvidia 8200 board more as an experiment as i already have a ati 4650 card i too have a large atx case

so far i am impressed and may not bother with the ati and stick with the all in one mobo

bluray is excellent, also the 5200+ i am using is is extremely quiet due to the auto slow speed of the fan and the fact that the cpu runs at less than 50 degrees. way queiter than my previous asaka heatsink and adjustable fan i had on the cool running opteron and i am only using the stock retail amd combo

this page will gice you info as too what the different chipsets can handle
http://www.missingremote.com/index.p...1&limitstart=1

personally having read reviews and from my experience i would lean towards the nvidia 8200/8300 or 9300/9400

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies. So I'm guessing that G45 is indeed a safe choice concerning playing Bluray. But comparing G45 with Nvidia's offerings, which one has the lowest power consumption / heat?

Cheers,

Jean

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
I used the 8200, the 780G, and the G45. Yes, I found myself with money to burn, and burn it I did.

I did not test the 8300, sorry.

Anyway, having tested the first three, I found I liked the G45 the best. I do not use 24Hz, so be aware that I never test it. No reason to do so.

I had to overclock the GPU of the 780G and the 8200 to make it play smoothly. The 8200 had far better sound than the 780G, but that is because the 780G can only do 2 channel PCM (5.1 lossy compressed, also), whereas the 8200 and the G45 both do 8 channel PCM.

All mobos downsample the sound due to no PAP.

I do not know which is hotter, the 8200 or the G45. Both can get hot. The 780G was the hottest of the three, by far.

I have placed an 80mm fan, leaning diagonally, over the Northbridge heatsink to keep it cool. I have no heat related issues at all. Not sure if I needed to put it there, but it is silent and I feel better knowing it is there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts