AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I was re doing my room and noticed I was still using the supplied RCA cables included with my Denon 3800.

Would it benefit me to upgrade to something that is better quality and better shielded? Or is this basically the same thing as speaker cables, snake oil.

Thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or would it benefit me to get a 1 meter length rca cables. Since right now Im using the 2 meter supplied rca cables (that I got from my Denon 3800)

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Mostly snake oil although with analog cables there is a little more variation.

Don't worry about it if you are not having any perceivable problems!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 /forum/post/18263843

Or would it benefit me to get a 1 meter length rca cables. Since right now Im using the 2 meter supplied rca cables (that I got from my Denon 3800)

Best thing for you to do is try out a few pairs on your system, stick with the one that sounds best to you.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
It depends what you are using them for. If they are for audio, no - if they are for video, upgrading could likely make some difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No it is not typacially worth the extra money it is like buying a monster cable hdmi that is 80 unstead of the 20 dollar one! The only difference is the conductor and the shielding. The conductor makes no difference no matter who says what. 24k gold platted cables are just the initial tip plug not the actually wires runnign through. the shielding is going to be for stopping ingress and egress which is only necessary if you have components that are causing a signal leak which will still affect regardless of the quality of cable just a little less. One thing about the higher quality is that the can be plugged and unplugged more due to the higher quality fittings, they stay tighter longer but who usually plugs and unplugs more than a few times anywyas

·
Banned
2,091 Posts
Pay not attention to those who praise boutique (expensive) cables or post about sonic benefits of cables. They are either shill for the company that sells cables or Kool-Aid drinkers and the internet is full of them. Cheap but well constructed cable (very common) is all you need for top performance.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Visit a local specialty audio retail shop, or contact The Cable Co, http://www.thecableco.com and have them send you some to try out.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Why should anyone throw away money on totally baseless BS based sales pitches.

GeekHD is 100% correct. This concept is STILL going on on adjacent threads.

The only benefit to uber expensive esoteric cables is to the bank accounts of those that foist the BS enhanced, hyperbole ridden, totally false and incorrect claims made about the physics of these ridiculous pieces of metal and plastic claptrap.

Was I clear enough? I wanted to use as many adjectives as possible, just like the mega buck cable hawkers.

·
Banned
2,091 Posts
What one finds from "find out for yourself" isn't anything useful regarding cable's performance unless it's a properly set up double blind test. The results from these DBT have been posted on internet .

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Well it was too much to hope Joe would not show up here!

(Joe sells magic power cords and other ridiculously priced crap
CAVEAT EMPTOR!)

If you get the itch to buy new cables, get them from monoprice.com or, at least, don't spend any more than monoprice charges. They have excellent product, prices and customer service.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Find out for yourself? Absolutely, next time you see some flames, stick your hand in to "find out for yourself" if it's hot. Don't listen to those anti-flamers. Let your hand be your guide.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The best way to know for sure is to try out several cables. Sit down and listen for yourself. No one online is going to have the answer for you.

Otherwise, somebody else made your decision for you.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Depends on how you define "good quality". For me that means adequate conductors with adequate shielding and nice solid terminations with strain relief to connectors with a finish that won't oxidize easily and grab onto inputs with reasonable force. I don't care what they look like as no one including me will see them once they are installed. Short cables are cheaper and generally less susceptible to noise than longer cables. They also make for a cleaner installation if you don't need the extra length to make a connection. I'll pay for the type of quality I just described but they are generally pretty cheap. I won't pay for the "increased inner detail with a hint of cinnamon and smoky leather overtones" crap that cable manufacturers try to sell to terminally neurotic audiophiles. Best to take that money and put it into your equipment or room.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
There's nothing wrong with testing out various high end cables as long as there is a 100% no questions asked return policy. And be leary of credit card refunds, they can take many months.

Personally I would not waste the time and effort free or not.

EDIT: Well I guess it's not free after all!

Quote:
A deposit equal to 5% of the selling price of the borrowed cables will be charged to the consumer´s credit card when the arrangements for the cable loan are made. This deposit is not refundable, but will be applied in full against purchases (cable or non-cable products) from The Cable Company, Usedcable.com, or our Ultra Systems affiliate.

One thing for sure when dealing with these cable guys, there's always a snake in the grass when you dig in a little deeper. But after all they are selling snake oil!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Snake oil and kool-aid!
Oh No!!!

I wouldn't pay anyone to try out their cables, any more than I would pay to try out any other gear. Find some loaner cables.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie /forum/post/18266188

There's nothing wrong with testing out various high end cables as long as there is a 100% no questions asked return policy. And be leary of credit card refunds, they can take many months.

Personally I would not waste the time and effort free or not.

EDIT: Well I guess it's not free after all!

One thing for sure when dealing with these cable guys, there's always a snake in the grass when you dig in a little deeper. But after all they are selling snake oil!

Capitalism at its finest!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
It is important not to confuse buying "esoteric cables" with buying cables with "adequate gauge" though. In my opinion, it is better to get the thicker cable when in doubt since cost difference is immaterial these days. Better to be safe.

1 - 20 of 395 Posts