AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a Sacd sound better using the newer HDMI out vs the older Analog outs on a CD player??

Has any one compared the two connections using good equipment.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Basically it would depend on the analog section of the SACD player or your AVR/Pre-Pro. HDMI keeps the signal Digital so the AVR would decode it, making the SACD player a transport. Using Analog the SACD player would decode it. If I had a $1000 SACD player and a $500 AVR, I would use the analog connections because it "should" be the better connection.

With so many combinations available it would vary from setup to setup. I don't personally think you would hear any difference between the two if both connections are level matched. Others will disagree, so go off of the first paragragh. Either way both will sound great.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If you use the analog outputs, bass management is done in the player. Most players have fixed crossover points around 120hz, which is not ideal. Speaker distance and level settings would also be hanlded by the player, and usually don't have as flexible adjustments as an AVR/Pre.

I get much better results on my setup using HDMI, and having the processing done in the AVR/pre.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Titus /forum/post/16912650

Will a Sacd sound better using the newer HDMI out vs the older Analog outs on a CD player??

I think you already got a useful answer but, y'know, this question has been asked and answered many, many times. Did you do a search?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/16913468

I think you already got a useful answer but, y'know, this question has been asked and answered many, many times. Did you do a search?

I ran lots of searches on all CD players.

I even read your articles where you preferred PCM over DSD using the Oppo on your system, and why.

There is a lot of conflicting and confusing information on the net to a neophyte. But I believe the useful answer above, and Sivadselm explanations

tightened me up, in regard to the ins and outs of CD players.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Titus /forum/post/16912650

I guess it would depend on how you would further define the constraints of your desired comparison.

Do you mean does an SACD disc sound better than a CD disc?

Could be - just on the merits of the individual disc and if the SACD mix was improved over the CD....lots of examples of that (DSOTM for instance).

Comparing an SACD vs a CD as media is not asking the same thing as comparing the connections (digital vs analog).

Do you mean the same CD played in an SACD player connected via HDMI compared to a CD player connected via analog?

If you have a blu-ray player and an AVR with HDMI inputs - you can run your own test and decide for yourself by hooking up your BD player via HDMI and analog put in a CD then switch back and forth between the two (note/warning: be sure to level match!!! gotta be careful here not to incur the wrath of some folks who feel how important this is!!
)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.