AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 3 fronts only (2 full range floor standing + center) and my receiver went kaput.
My choices are :
1) Get new Atmos enabled receiver, keep my 3 fronts, and add 4 in-ceiling speakers (2 front Atmos + 2 rear surround). (hopefully a much better sound)
2) Sell my 3 fronts, skip buying a receiver and get Atmos enabled bar like LG SJ9. (Fast, cheap, clean)

I do appreciate surround HT experience, but I've never experienced Atmos.
In my case the easiest location for in-wall wiring is in-ceiling, as the run from front to back is parallel to studs.
This would be a no brainier if it wasn't for the consensus on forums that in-ceilings suck, at least cost-comparatively.
The question is, are they worse than a good bar?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I currently have 3 fronts only (2 full range floor standing + center) and my receiver went kaput.
My choices are :
1) Get new Atmos enabled receiver, keep my 3 fronts, and add 4 in-ceiling speakers (2 front Atmos + 2 rear surround). (hopefully a much better sound)
2) Sell my 3 fronts, skip buying a receiver and get Atmos enabled bar like LG SJ9. (Fast, cheap, clean)

In my case the easiest location for in-wall wiring is in-ceiling, as the run from front to back is parallel to studs.
This would be a no brainier if it wasn't for the consensus on forums that in-ceilings suck, at least cost-comparatively.

Thank you!
I've never heard that in-ceiling's "suck", while placement may not be optimal, there's nothing wrong with them, esp if you get the right ones.

For your situation, if you absolutely can't do in-walls or bookshelves on stands for your surrounds, then in-ceilings would be better than nothing. (There are a few in-ceiling offerings like GoldenEar that are known for doing a good job of giving the illusion that they aren't in the ceiling.)
For the setup you are proposing you'd want the rear in-ceilings to be at least 3-4' behind you if possible and the front overhead labeled ones to be in the forward portion of the angle spec for Top Middles.
This will give you a 5.1.2 configuration.

·
Registered
759 Posts
In ceiling atmos are the best by far in my experience. You need to go with two sides though for better surround. I would not hesitate to pout in two near ceiling or ceiling for rear and 4 more for atmos but you need sides too. Sides provide mor surround than atmos or rear.
I have two large sides, and two large rear and 4 in ceiling atmos. Happy now!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
My choices are :

Thank you!

"In-ceilings" can work great for speakers that go overhead in an Atmos set up, i.e., the front top and rear top speakers. The problem here is you are trying to place "ear level" or "listener level" speakers in the ceiling, i.e., the surrounds. The Atmos effect depends on a separation between the overheads and the ear-level speakers.

If at all possible you should get the surrounds ear level and to the sides of the listeners, per Dolby installation guidelines:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technol...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

·
Registered
759 Posts
Go in ceiling if you want real atmos impact. You do not really need a great match in voicing with the front. They are purely effects not like the front sides and center which are a lot of dialog speakers. The sides are priority 4 and 5. The rear maybe 6 and 7 and atmos 8. I am sort of rating the importance of the speakers to sound "natural". Front have to master dialogue .. sort of like faces on a color tv. Blue tinted grass is not bad but blue tinted face are bad. Off-real voices can give a big negative impression, and dialogue is the most critical sound on a movie. If you do not clearly understand the dialogue you may as well have closed caption.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The posts that dis in-ceiling speakers were towards people using them as fronts and i get the problem with that.
From what i gather, it is critical to have the rear surrounds at ear level instead of in-ceiling.
I do have 2 Klipsch reference surrounds, that i never installed because they look pretty big for the room, that i can use for ear-level. So, the goal now is 5.1.2 overhead setup.
The problem in that, though, i can't put surrounds too far behind the listening position because of the wall behind the couch. I guess 100 deg. instead of 120 would be OK as well.

Thank you all for your input.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
The problem in that, though, i can't put surrounds too far behind the listening position because of the wall behind the couch. I guess 100 deg. instead of 120 would be OK as well.
I think that would work just fine. In fact, that's about where mine are in a 5.1.4 system and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
In ceiling avoids some boundary interference. Generally all your speakers will be adjusted via EQ one way or another by your AVR.

A strong recommendation is currently Coaxial In-celing speakers.

DIYSG "VOLTS" are a good option if you are willing to do a bit of building with glue and screws. They are cost effective, more than powerful enough, and favored by those that have used them.

Reactions: jjackkrash
1 - 8 of 8 Posts