AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my first post on AVS, so hopefully I'm at the right place...

I've been considering buying a new 5.1 surround speaker system, but I'm on the fence if I should buy a new 'pkg' system, or build on what I have?

Budget is important, so trying to keep things under $300-400.

Currently, I have an older basic / 3.1 setup:

• Infinity "Entra Two" floor standing speakers (had these for over 15+ years, but are still in excellent shape)
  • Yamaha YS-SW215 subwoofer
  • JBL center channel (from old 5.1 satellite spk system I used to have setup)
  • * my receiver is an older Sony STR-DE845...still works great, but considering upgrading down the road.

If I went the "new" route, I've been looking into the Energy Take Classic, Monoprice 10565, or similar.

If I went the "build" route, I was thinking of keeping the Infinitys for my front, the Yamaha (for now) for my sub, and picking up a center channel and sattelites elsewhere. I found a matching Entra Two center on eBay that looked real nice/inexpensive...for rear speakers, haven't looked yet/will add later.

Do you think the Entra Twos with a matching center would be a good start, or go the new/pkg route?

Any thoughts or advice would be great appreciated.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yep, I would also stick with the Entra Two's. Then grab that matching Entra center. For rears try for the bookshelf-size Entras if possible (with a 5.25" or 6.5" woofer), or another brand that shares a similar sound. Then later, I would buy a larger/more capable subwoofer* if you run low on $$$ (surround sound to me is - relatively speaking - more important than a system's low-bass output quality).

* it looks like that Yamaha sub uses an 8" driver, if the model number includes a "T"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1521248/are-infinity-entra-two-speakers-a-good-base-to-build-5-1-setup-from#post_24446937

Build on what you have. Clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutfan  /t/1521248/are-infinity-entra-two-speakers-a-good-base-to-build-5-1-setup-from#post_24447265

Yep, I would also stick with the Entra Two's. Then grab that matching Entra center. For rears try for the bookshelf-size Entras if possible (with a 5.25" or 6.5" woofer), or another brand that shares a similar sound. Then later, I would buy a larger/more capable subwoofer* if you run low on $$$ (surround sound to me is - relatively speaking - more important than a system's low-bass output quality).

* it looks like that Yamaha sub uses an 8" driver, if the model number includes a "T"

Thanks for the replies!

donutfan - appreciate the xtra info. I went ahead and purchased the Entra center, and will definitely keep an eye out for the rears. I'm 'probably' going to run 3.1 for bit, until I figure out "how" to best setup the rears...the room this will be in is shaped a bit odd (has a half wall behind couch and need to keep walkway behind couch, high vaulted ceiling, etc.).

Re: the sub, yes, it's an 8" driver (I left the 'T' out of the model by mistake). It's been a pretty nice sub...given the size and shape of the room its in, this thing fills it nicely (to my ears anyway).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts