Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to calibrate a few display devices in my house:

Front-projector

LCD TV

CRT TV

2xPC LCD

...and I can't afford anything above $150. I also only want things to look "good" and don't need anything to be perfect.

It seems like two options exist though:

Eye-One Display LT ($150) and Spyder 3 TV ($99). I'd probably use the Calman software so that's why I'm mentioning the Spyder 3 TV instead of the Elite, etc.

From what I've gathered, the Eye-One display is better but it doesn't work well with front-projectors. Is this true?

I've also read that both of these meters, and anything under $500 or so, is going to be garbage and be completely inaccurate and pretty much a waste of money.

If the above is true I can save a lot of headache is somebody lets me know but if I can see some good improvement in my displays than I would be happy...

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Enough money for TVs ... but not enough to make them look good.

Q/A has been spotty on the Spyder 3 things ... so you never know what you are going to get. The trick is to know when they give you bad answers ...and not to accept everything at face value.

And low end probes are known for not working right on all display technologies. CRT / Plasma ... yes ... LCD / DLP ... Maybe yes maybe no.

(Most people think that their TV out of the box ... already represents a "good" picture. If that is all you aspire to ... then you are likely already there.)

There is a wide chasm between good and perfect. We can never get to perfect.

regards

·
Registered
637 Posts
Without wanting to put words in Tom's mouth, Tom Huffman states in his calibration guide "Colorimeter. This is a USB device that you point at the display so it can read the color and light output of the display and then connect to a laptop computer. The most accurate device under $1000 is the X-Rite i1Pro, though it can be a pain to use. A close second is the X-Rite Chroma 5, which is sold only through OEM channels that also sell calibration software. A much less expensive option that is only a little less accurate is the X-Rite Display 2, also sold as the Pantone Eye-One Display LT for less than $150. I would avoid any less expensive colorimeters, as they will not offer what I consider to be a reasonable degree of accuracy. "

Also, see these links of some testing he has done.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=958099

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016048 Post # 17.

Full disclosure - I own an LT and use it on my FP. I seem to get consistent results ((though they could be consistently inaccurate). Overall, I'm very pleased with the results I'm achieving, but I'm just a hobbyist.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.