AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pair of the Energy RC10's today. On the rear of each grill are 6 silver magnetic stubs. On one grill 2 of the stubbs were covered with black rubber. The other 4 were not. On the second grill none of the 6 silver stubs have the black rubber coating. Were all the stubs supposed to have this rubber covering so they don't scratch the speaker when they are attached? I'm confused as to why only 2 out of a total of 12 stubbs would be covered in black rubber but the rest aren't.

·
Registered
29,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymb /forum/post/18150110

Bump. Anyone have the RC10's that could pull their grills off and check for me before I return my pair.

You're really not going to return those speakers because of the magnets on the grill are you? There's no way they could scratch the speaker.

I hope if you're returning them its because you don't like the way they sound...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18150340

You're really not going to return those speakers because of the magnets on the grill are you? There's no way they could scratch the speaker.

I hope if you're returning them its because you don't like the way they sound...

I'm returning them because of the 2 magnets on one grill that don't have any rubber on them. I'm anal that way. And I thought they would sound much better than the Polk 40's I have and they don't.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixonrsx /forum/post/18150177

nope mine are the same way....two silver, top and bottom, and black in the middle...

Same here.

How long have you listened to them? The first pair I got had a tweeter than fell out, and they still sounded great. Although I'm coming from a ~$300 Sony HTIB system.

·
Registered
276 Posts
wow, sending them back is wayyyy extreme cause the magnets dont have the pads on them. wow. i would guess any pair you got is not gonna have all of them for some reason. hopefully you are just sending them back cause you dont like the sound.

and i have had mine for a few months, i dont do alot of listening with them, just while im getting ready for work, taking a shower or laying in bed really, but i really like them. they are hooked up to an old marantz 2226b stereo.

·
Registered
255 Posts
how long have you been listening to them? you might want to let them burn in a little bit before you send them back as well.. i've heard they take a little time to burn in b/c they should definitely sound better than Polk M40s

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsax /forum/post/18151950

how long have you been listening to them? you might want to let them burn in a little bit before you send them back as well.. i've heard they take a little time to burn in b/c they should definitely sound better than Polk M40s

UPS should be picking them up today. I tried. After reading all the rave reviews for them I was just dissapointed in them. I know I'm crazy preferring a pair of Polk 40's over the RC10's but I actaully like the big bulky look of the 40's over the smaller look of the 10's. Plus the 40's have twice the bass of the 10's.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymb /forum/post/18152246

UPS should be picking them up today. I tried. After reading all the rave reviews for them I was just dissapointed in them. I know I'm crazy preferring a pair of Polk 40's over the RC10's but I actaully like the big bulky look of the 40's over the smaller look of the 10's. Plus the 40's have twice the bass of the 10's.

Not crazy... just your preference.

I've read glowing reviews of speakers only to absolutely hate how they sound (NHT SB1 and Pinnacle BD500 come to mind)... It's very subjective.

I'm of the camp that loves the RC-10 sound... but won't fault someone if they don't agree.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read the dimensions of the RC 10's before I ordered them but I was kind of surprised how small they were when I actually unpacked them. They were too small for my current speaker stands and they just looked out of place in my setup.

·
Registered
29,315 Posts
What receiver are you using by the way?

You did the right thing by sending them back if the sound isn't your preference. I'm just glad the true reason wasn't the rubber on the magnets. I knew there had to be more to it than that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have an Onkyo 8555 receiver. There was more to it than the magnets. I'm used to buying cheap speakers so when I ordered the 10's which used to sell for close $600 I thought it would be a giant step up for me. It was hard for me to beleive that the 10's originally went for $600. I just didn't see it. Even though the 10's are supossed to have fairly decent bass going as low as some larger speakers I've owned I heard very little bass. My Polk40's have the best bass I've heard from any bookshelf speaker I've had.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.