AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went looking at RPTV's again at lunch.

Luckily my local tweeter has all four I was looking for in a line on their floor.

These are my general impressions and was hoping to see if I have it right or if they were just poorly set-up.

-Sony 60A3000

-Samsung 6187

-Samsung 6176

-Mitsubishi 65833

Sony

-Great with handling source noise

-Sharpest of the bunch

-Good viewing angles

-Slightly more SSE

-Good brightness

-Green tint to everything(green push)

-120Hz(or whatever caused the strange looking movement was distracting/different)

Samsung 6189

-Good with source noise

-dim

-Not very good viewing angles

Samsung 6176

-O.k. with source noise

-Good viewing angles

-o.k with source noise

-Much brighter than LED brother

Mitsubishi 65833

-Good with source noise

-Good brightness

-Good viewing angles

-A little pricey

-3 Lamps!? Would I have to replace all three at same time if one goes bad and what are their failure rates?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am not sure about the lamps, but I recommend the Mits, wholeheartedly among those choces. I think that your assessment is accurate, though I'd give it a great on source noise. For HD sources, I do not think that the Mits can be beaten at their price point. SD leaves a little to be desired but so does any 65". Plus, with simple adjustment via an Avia disk (or similar) you will be shocked at the improvement. In my experience (I've owned a number of rear projectors), Mits is one of the few brands for which a expert calibration is not absolutely necessary. If you get one, do the Avia stuff right out of the box. Do it again after 100 and 200 hours, then see is you even desire a calibration.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well with the Samsung DLPs one would have to be sure they were both on the same picture setting...Dynamic vs. Dynamic....LED DLPs are just as bright as the lamp models ( I have compared this dozens of times while I was shopping)...and with the 6189 there is no lamp to replace.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
IMO, the Sony is the best. If it were not for the A3000 series, I would have saved up for a plasma twice as expensive. The picture quality/price "value" is that good.

Robert

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Mits doesn't have three lamps it only has one. I have the same model just the 73-833 it was one of my favorite purchases of last year and I got a heck of a deal. The biggest thing is really going to be what your budget is. I would start there and work your way back. And for god's sake don't buy from tweeters cause you are gonna pay. I think the 65-833 goes for about $2700 if you shop around.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IT wouldn't be from tweeter, they just are the only ones with all four together for comparing. I did do a little tweaking on all of them as they were all originally in a vivid/dynamic mode.

I like the idea of the LED and like the Sammy's look the best.

I can get the 65833 for $2450 total.

I can get the A3000 for $2100 total

I can get the 6187 for $2024 total.

The 6176 is no longer being considered as I can get the 6187 for the same price locally.

I cannot afford a 58"+ plasma.

Which ones do 1080p/24 via PS3?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I agree with Jesse31, you can't be sure of anything until you get them home, let them run a couple of hundred hours to break in, and then calibrate them for your eyes and environment. My set is a LCoS like the Sony and it also came with some green, but it was easily adjusted out, and hasn't returned in 2 1/2 years and 10,000 hours.

I do agree that the current generation of LED sets have somewhat poor viewing angles. I'm looking forward to see this year's new models which are supposed to be better.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow /forum/post/12959643

I do agree that the current generation of LED sets have somewhat poor viewing angles. I'm looking forward to see this year's new models which are supposed to be better.

I've owned both bulb and LED sets. The LED set had *no* viewing angle issues. Please don't talk about them if you haven't witnessed it first hand.

I can easily get 120 degrees and beyond from left to right, while vertically its around 45 degrees. Yes, it's not "stand anywhere and get a perfect picture" but it's very acceptable in large (~1000 sq. feet) to small (200 sq. feet) living rooms. I have first hand experience.

Why are you ignoring me, E-A-G-L-E-S?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol, I'm not.

And I am more then likely going with the 6187 as early as tomorrow.

BUT, I need to figure something out first, because I forgot they put their IR sensor in the middle of the base. Right where I like to put my center channel

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite /forum/post/12960139

I've owned both bulb and LED sets. The LED set had *no* viewing angle issues. Please don't talk about them if you haven't witnessed it first hand.

I can easily get 180 degrees and beyond from left to right, while vertically its around 45 degrees. Yes, it's not "stand anywhere and get a perfect picture" but it's very acceptable in large (~1000 sq. feet) to small (200 sq. feet) living rooms. I have first hand experience.

Why are you ignoring me, E-A-G-L-E-S?

Your TV has a horizontal viewing angle greater than 180 degrees?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite /forum/post/12959555

Just stop wasting your time posting and buy the 6187. You won't regret it.

It will do 1080p/24 with a PS3.

Bullseye! ^

No viewing angle problems here, other than maybe some seats being closer to the can.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the 73833 and love the set (i actually did buy it from tweeter and got a really good deal).

All the sets are good, what really matters is what you like. Spend more time in the stores, adjust settings as you want and make a decision.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn /forum/post/12960220

Your TV has a horizontal viewing angle greater than 180 degrees?

You caught me in a blonde moment. I meant 120. It's past 90 degrees, but not exactly 180.

·
Registered
642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/12956273

Sony

-Sharpest of the bunch

Well, I have to disagree. A3000 may be good at other things, sharp picture (more accurately, more details) is not, actually it's weakest point.

I have a 60A3000 and had a similar Mits DLP you listed, Sony is way too soft even with the best available sources compared with Mits.

It's not reliable to judge TVs based on showroom settings.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite /forum/post/12960139

... The LED set had *no* viewing angle issues. Please don't talk about them if you haven't witnessed it first hand....

Observation in several stores is a first-hand witness. Carefully compared the image deterioration with other types of sets nearby. Looked pretty obvious to me.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow /forum/post/12961491

Observation in several stores is a first-hand witness. Carefully compared the image deterioration with other types of sets nearby. Looked pretty obvious to me.

In store? It's not the same. Did you change the settings first? Calibrate them with real HD material? (most in store demos are DVDs still)

I've used them *in house* in *real* settings that were calibrated with HD sports and Blu-ray movies going.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts