AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying this post with a better subject. I'm wondering how important speaker location is.

The cabinets that house my HT setup were not really set up with a lot of options for speakers. There is a large opening on the left and right of the TV, about 18 inches higher where my bookshelf speakers sit on their sides. And the center channel is about 2 feet directly above the TV.

1. Do you think either the front at 18 inches higher than top of TV, or center at two feet higher are too high? Or not that big of a problem?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep /forum/post/19538919

They are a little high, just tip them down and it should be all right

Thanks Robert.

On the rears, same thing? That is optimal is a few feet above ear level. But could mount them 8 feet high and point them down?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Even with the speakers angled down, you will still find yourself looking up at the speakers. Ideal would be to have the tweeters level with the horizontal center line with the TV screen. This is sometimes pretty hard. Especially with the center channel. Just get them as close as you can.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525
Trying this post with a better subject. I'm wondering how important speaker location is.

The cabinets that house my HT setup were not really set up with a lot of options for speakers. There is a large opening on the left and right of the TV, about 18 inches higher where my bookshelf speakers sit on their sides. And the center channel is about 2 feet directly above the TV.

1. Do you think either the front at 18 inches higher than top of TV, or center at two feet higher are too high? Or not that big of a problem?

Thanks,

Jeff
Play something that has the sound of walking on hardwood floors, or the sound of horses running. If the sound appears to be coming from overhead, they are too high. An old movie came to mind: Jurassic Park. The scene where the Dino's are running across hilly terrain.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 /forum/post/19538943

Thanks Robert.

On the rears, same thing? That is optimal is a few feet above ear level. But could mount them 8 feet high and point them down?

The Dolby and THX web sites say to place front left and right spkrs at seated ear level, center below or above the TV angled either up or down toward the listener.

The surrounds in a 5.1...THX says "two feet above seated ear level or higher"...Dolby says "slightly above seated ear level."

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately the HT cabinets do not have a lot of options for speakers. There are speaker openings on the right and left sides, about 18" higher than top of TV. These openings are only about 9" high, so bookshelf speakers are there and have to sit on their sides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.