AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just loaded speedfan on my machine, and the results are kind of scaring me, and I wanted to get some opinions. MY CPU is an Intel E8400, with the stock heat sink.

Right now, I am getting idle temps on the CPU in the low 40's, but each core is pushing 50. I then tested it under load, and the CPU temp stayed in the high 40's, but the cores were reading in the high 70's

I have not noticed any performance issues, and I only really loaded speedfan as a test, but now I am a bit worried.

I know I can always just add a new heat sink, but I am surprised that even with the stock sink, the temps are so high, especially since this is supposed to be a lower heat CPU.

·
Registered
615 Posts
SpeedFan can be a little unreliable as far as temps go. Try CoreTemp and see if it duplicates the SpeedFan results.

I know with my AMD X2 4850e the "Core" temp is meaningless. The Temp1 is the actual CPU temp.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhoffma /forum/post/15552781

SpeedFan can be a little unreliable as far as temps go. Try CoreTemp and see if it duplicates the SpeedFan results.

I know with my AMD X2 4850e the "Core" temp is meaningless. The Temp1 is the actual CPU temp.

Thanks,

I will try that out as well. I have had no other performance related problems at all, so maybe it is just a program glitch

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
That's high. Assuming you have not overclocked, you should be seeing temps in the low 30s when idle. This of course also assumes that your heatsink is seated properly. The stock heatsink is actually not that bad, unless you are overclocking.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Those are centigrade temps, right? It could be many things including a bad reading from Speedfan. Did the mobo not come with some sort of temp monitor? What does the hardware monitor in the bios show? It should show in the low 40s the same as speed fan. If the temps are correct, then, like kapone said, they are high and you should get them down. Reseat/install the cpu heatsink with a minimal amount of heat transfer paste. RU sure that the cpu fan is running and the heatsink isn't plugged with dust or being stopped by a wire or cable contacting the fan blades when you close the case? Do the temps go down if you run with the cover off? What case and mobo? Post your system specs.

BB

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I asked this question in another hardware forum. My CPU (E7200) was idling in the mid 40's but I was told it was a safe enough idle temperature for my processor (room temp 25~27C). Load temps max at around mid 50's. The consensus seemed to be as long as it doesn't go beyond 60C, the CPU probably won't be fried and it should still last several years, well beyond obsolescence. Since your CPU is very similar to mine, I'd let it go as long as maximum temp doesn't exceed 60C.

Intel included a really small heatsink for the Wolfdales so I wouldn't really be surprised at the temps, specially if it's inside a cabinet or something (mine is underneath a desk). Moving it from underneath the desk, temps dropped more than 10C. I had an E2160 (before the E7200) and the stock heatsink for that one seems to be twice as tall as the one for the Wolfdale. The E2160 was idling at around mid 30s, but funnily enough, load temps were still in the mid 50's.

The new processors seem to tolerate quite a bit of heat. My M2 stepping E7200 has a thermal specification of 74C while a B2 stepping E6600 has a thermal specification of 60C.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I tried CoreTemp and the Asus Probe and they both confirmed the high readings, so I took the PC out of the stand and opened it up, Turns out the heatsink wasn't as tightly mounted as it should be. So I added a little artic silver and tightened it down, and my temps are now in the low 30's.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Glad you got it fixed! Sometimes it really is a simple fix! Thanks for posting back your fix, it will help others in troubleshooting their rigs.

BB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts