AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My experience with Denon started just over 13 years ago when I bought my AVR-1803 and I only recently decided to upgrade it for remote zone 2 connectivity and control. I first bought a x1200 as I have had good experience with Denon for over a decade and I'm a brand loyalty person. That device has had the following failures:
- failed to recognize network connectivity (wired connection) after working for a few weeks, forced to reboot the unit.
- receive an unending "please wait" that I could not clear at all, had to reboot the unit
- random hdmi errors between the TV and unit, content cannot be displayed
- every call to Denon they suggested it was my router (all other devices were working) and they said that I would have to unplug every HDMI cable as "that is something known in the technology"; it was never a flaw with the receiver.

I didn't feel strongly that my unit was free of defects so I sent it back defective during the return window and ordered a x2200.

This unit has had similar HDMI handshake issues and experienced a network GUI failure; meaning I could not access it via the App but could type in the IP and only get the frames of the webpage "drawn in the browser". I had to end up rebooting this one as well.

I've never had any of these problems previously. My question: is this normal for all AVR Receivers, not normal at all or just something Denons expirence?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an X2000 that I had to return due to the HDMI handshake problem, took like a month or more to get it resolved, plus I had to pay to ship it to them, like $40.

I have NEVER until this day been able to upgrade it through Network (wired), and always have had to unplug it to reset. I will not buy Denon again, and have previously owned an Onkyo without these problems.

Don't know if that help just my experience.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
HDMI ports suck, thats just a fact. One day, in a distant future, about 1000 years from now, every device will use display port instead.

Reactions: GreySkies

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
My question: is this normal for all AVR Receivers, not normal at all or just something Denons expirence?
Any brand can have issues, but the issues you're having sound pretty bad.

I've got an X5200 that's been solid. It's only playing video from an Oppo in my dedicated theater, so I'm not switching inputs, or using Pandora, or anything like that. But I am controlling it with a custom control system via IP, which has been rock-solid. I've had no issues with it at all.

I've had failures with both Yamaha (HDMI) and Pioneer (lightning strike—not its fault). OTOH, I've also got a 20+ year old Pioneer that my son is using in his library, and it's still going strong.

I think as the complexity of AVRs increase, the likelihood of a failure somewhere increases, as there's naturally more parts that can fail.

HDMI ports suck, thats just a fact. One day, in a distant future, about 1000 years from now, every device will use display port instead.
HDMI sucks period.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Some day some enterprising young Chinese company upstart will build an end to end solution - TV - Bluray - Receivers with DP 1.4 or Super MHL and end this HDMI closed royalty club. The market for them has been ripe for years.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
In the early days HDMI had its issues just like USB...
But in today's AV components, the HDMI/HDCP protocol works pretty well...
The typical interconnectivity problems arise when using products from brands that bypass the HDMI/HDCP certification process and claim to do this internally..

Just my $0.02... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts