AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,


I have wondered this for a while and wondered if it is worth using PA speakers for your 5 speakers. The reason I ask is that say the behringer below:

http://www.dv247.com/pa-systems-and-...-system--64916


They are £250 each only and have a rms for the LF off 280 watts and 50 watts for the HF. They seem good value for money but don't know if they would be any good for HT use.


They do much more powerful ones for a little more.


cheers



Graham
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973
Hi guys,


I have wondered this for a while and wondered if it is worth using PA speakers for your 5 speakers. The reason I ask is that say the behringer below:

http://www.dv247.com/pa-systems-and-...-system--64916


They are £250 each only and have a rms for the LF off 280 watts and 50 watts for the HF. They seem good value for money but don't know if they would be any good for HT use.


They do much more powerful ones for a little more.


cheers



Graham
Are you looking for loud or good sound?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,345 Posts
"I have wondered this for a while and wondered if it is worth using PA speakers for your 5 speakers."


it depends if you like big spl or not. if not, then maybe not.


if yes, then yes, but as with all speakers, there are good and there are poopy.


have a read through the econowave thread over at audiokarma. it is a huge thread, but take your time and go through it. there is a ton of theory, a ton of builds, a ton of measurements, and a ton of subjective impressions.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150939
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 /forum/post/19636565


if it is worth using PA speakers for your 5 speakers.
http://www.dv247.com/pa-systems-and-...-system--64916

Some yes, but not those. They're unbearable even in PA usage, as are nearly all of those plastic fantastic pieces of junk. Add another digit to the price tag and you're in the ballpark for high quality pro-sound cabs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,340 Posts
There's a guy on diyaudio who posts as 'Patrick Bateman' who owns Geddes Summas who mentioned recently a similar 2 way 15" + CD/WG Wharfedale impressed him a lot with it's sound. Some digging and an email should turn it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,345 Posts
...and "patrick bateman" has really done a lot of good work. i've followed several of his builds and his conversations with dr. g., and have learned a lot from the exchange. props to both of those guys.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/19637802


bill, what do you think about the newly minted qsc k12's? they seem to do a lot right.

The user reports I've seen say they're pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason I asked was that I am running monitor Audio RS6's from my fronts, the RS centre and RS5's for the rears. I would like more bass from the centre and fronts so the PA speakers got me thinking. A 12" or 15" driver with seperate LF and HF amplification and way more than the onkyo 876 is able to supply.


They don't need to go down much lower than 40hz to be honest as my subs are more than capable off doing that part. I want more midbass punch.


cheers


Graham
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Pro cabs will give you midbass punch... but it will also give you shouty tweeters. Very shouty tweeters that is, and no real extension past 12kHz or so.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 /forum/post/19640272


Pro cabs will give you midbass punch... but it will also give you shouty tweeters. Very shouty tweeters that is, and no real extension past 12kHz or so.

That is a big generalization and is not correct. There are PA speakers that are not shouty and that do not roll off at 12K. JTR HT8's are +/- 3 db from 70 to 24khz and their strictly PA side T8's are +/-3b up to 20k.
http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/triple-8x/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,354 Posts
If you like the in your face SQ of most PA speakers, I've never seen a reason not to use them .. after all, many cinemas and IMAX facilities do ..


I will say I have been a Klipsch customer since the 1960's so I may be slightly biased ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,173 Posts
Yeah, but even Imax and regular cinemas sound different and they sound different from other PA speakers as well. I love my JBL pro speakers but I have heard other JBL pro speakers that I did not like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/19640728


Yeah, but even Imax and regular cinemas sound different and they sound different from other PA speakers as well. I love my JBL pro speakers but I have heard other JBL pro speakers that I did not like.

Certainly .. and I should have added to my post that the larger the room the better .. a good PA speaker needs to be able to breath .. and many don't really reach best SQ until they really start pumping ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/19640760


Certainly .. and I should have added to my post that the larger the room the better .. a good PA speaker needs to be able to breath .. and many don't really reach best SQ until they really start pumping ..

I know what you mean, My speakers barely fit in my room but still sound great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Behringer Eurolive B212's say they extend to 20 khz. My monitor Audio RS6's have a frequency response from 38hz to 30khz so I guess they are much better. I set my speaker crossover to 80hz. Is it better to set it lower so then more bass should go to them or keep it at 80hz.


cheers


Graham
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
I previously used JBL MRX512's for LCR's. I thought they were excellent, even compared to my 4622's. The sound stage wasn't as big, of course.


I also used a single AM6215/95 with great success. That is a very nice sounding speaker!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 /forum/post/19641645


The Behringer Eurolive B212's say they extend to 20 khz. My monitor Audio RS6's have a frequency response from 38hz to 30khz so I guess they are much better. I set my speaker crossover to 80hz. Is it better to set it lower so then more bass should go to them or keep it at 80hz.


cheers


Graham

The way that Monitor Audio lists their specs for frequency response is worthless. It does not tell you how many db down they are at the listed response. Same thing for the Behringer. That is a common trick to make people think the speaker has a better response than it actually has.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top