AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 3 year old Panasonic 42PD60U EDTV. I would of course like to upgrade to a full 1080p 52+" panel. I just don't have the cash available right now to buy. I rarely see advertisements for plasma panels any more and a salesperson gave me the impression that I better buy soon.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
When you look at what is out there now with panel thinness, styling and 3D, plasma will be with us for a good long while. No worries.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I read many journals and mfg reports,, from what I can see the DLP units are history but LCD and Plasma will remain,, the LCD has definitely dominated the market and if they continue to improve the refresh and black levels the Plasma may be moved further aside,, see nothing though that says Plasma is dead,,

many of the floor sales staff know little to nothing about the industry and what little they do know can be more that the consumer (unfortunately) and will use that to guide, twist and manipulate customers,,

wait till the pocket can afford and then make an informed purchase,,

Derry

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry /forum/post/18255704

I read many journals and mfg reports,, from what I can see the DLP units are history but LCD and Plasma will remain,, the LCD has definitely dominated the market and if they continue to improve the refresh and black levels the Plasma may be moved further aside,, see nothing though that says Plasma is dead,,

many of the floor sales staff know little to nothing about the industry and what little they do know can be more that the consumer (unfortunately) and will use that to guide, twist and manipulate customers,,

wait till the pocket can afford and then make an informed purchase,,

Derry

I think it is a little early to pronounce DLP dead. No other technology offers as much screen size for the money, or just sheer screen size. 73 inch and 82 inch DLPs are pretty darn cheap.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one because of the bulb and color wheel, but there are people who are buying them.

They are also sold on shopping shows on TV.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdave /forum/post/18254088

I currently own a 3 year old Panasonic 42PD60U EDTV. I would of course like to upgrade to a full 1080p 52+" panel. I just don't have the cash available right now to buy. I rarely see advertisements for plasma panels any more and a salesperson gave me the impression that I better buy soon.

Keep in mind that even with a 52 or 54 inch screen, you would have to sit pretty close to get the full benefit of 1080P. There is a chart floating around and the viewing distances are very very close to get full benefit of 1080P. Maybe someone will post the chart for you

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:

a salesperson gave me the impression that I better buy soon.

I'm sure they did.
I don't think I've ever seen any ads for plasmas, and the major retailers certainly don't promote them much, but there are definitely many options out there. All the 2010 are starting to come out now, you don't have anything to worry about. Eventually I think LCD tech will get good enough that plasma will become irrelevant, but that won't be happening just yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Other than the recent Kuro crisis, when was the last time you saw prices go up?

Just Wait. By the time you have the money to buy it the price will either be lower or there will be something of better value.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18255868

I think it is a little early to pronounce DLP dead. No other technology offers as much screen size for the money, or just sheer screen size. 73 inch and 82 inch DLPs are pretty darn cheap.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one because of the bulb and color wheel, but there are people who are buying them.

They are also sold on shopping shows on TV.

I have a friend who bought a 65" Magnavox DLP, and the bulb is constantly burning out. He's had it replaced 3 times already.

I wouldn't get one either.

·
Vendor
32,758 Posts
If manufacturers are making money, they will continue to make plasmas. It will also depend on the general public, if they would stop listening to all the LCD/LED hype. Buy the better product, a plasma !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a really nice 50" LG plasma w/ THX that has a super picture and many other desirable features. I started out looking at LCD's, but soon learned that there were more good deals on a variety of plasma units at Best Buy, Electronics Express, and H.H. Gregg. These three companies advertise plasma sets every week and the plasma units are favorites of many of the knowledgeable sales people.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I own a Pio Pro-111 and am looking for another Plasma. While I doubt, like others here, that Plasma is dying, I can't find any decent choices for 80 inch + Plasma. Any recommendations?

Remember my Pio has me spoiled with the PQ

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknish /forum/post/18260750

I own a Pio Pro-111 and am looking for another Plasma. While I doubt, like others here, that Plasma is dying, I can't find any decent choices for 80 inch + Plasma. Any recommendations?

Remember my Pio has me spoiled with the PQ

Panasonic 103" plasma?

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...ma/default.asp

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:

Not sure where you live but in the ads in my area there are tons of plasmas. Best Buy, Sears, 6 Ave, Electronics Expo, P.C. Richards all have many plasmas for sale.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I don't see plasma going anywhere anytime soon. You can still get the most screen for your money when compared to an LCD.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreastside /forum/post/18263649

i don't see plasma going anywhere anytime soon. You can still get the most screen for your money when compared to an lcd.

+1

·
Registered
587 Posts
Plasma has diminished to near niche status when related to LCD/LED market share, but I think we'll see better than expected growth over the next few years.

LCD tech seems to be moving laterally with over-priced LED edge-lit units. Without investing in LED BACK-lit designs, Plasma tech provides a better overall PQ solution at at much better price-points.

I also don't think LCD is doing itself any favors by continuing to produce 60Hz sets; segmenting into 60, 120, 240hz for pricing (rather than adopting an elevated 120/240 baseline). In short, I think LCD is wasting opportunity while plasma continues to improve.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
60hz LCD's with cheaper poorer quality LCD panels is the only way for LCD makers to compete price wise with superior very cheap 720p plasmas and low end 1080p plasma's

in the end in most peoples houses the plasma will win in what is important and that is overall picture quality, contrast ratio and motion resolution even though they are not 1080p because resolution is not as important as its made out to be when your watching smaller displays at normal viewing distances of 8-10 feet

1 - 20 of 22 Posts