AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

If I press pause and walk right up to my plasma TV, I can see pixels sparkling on the display instead of a completely static image. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my TV or maybe my reception? If it's not normal, is there anything I can do to fix it? Although I can't see the sparkling pixels at my normal viewing distance of 10-11 feet, I'm worried that they may be reducing my picture quality.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpiker  /t/1522773/are-plasma-tvs-supposed-to-have-sparkling-pixels#post_24488790

If I press pause and walk right up to my plasma TV, I can see pixels sparkling on the display instead of a completely static image. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my TV or maybe my reception? If it's not normal, is there anything I can do to fix it? Although I can't see the sparkling pixels at my normal viewing distance of 10-11 feet, I'm worried that they may be reducing my picture quality.

it's normal for All plasma TVs

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg  /t/1522773/are-plasma-tvs-supposed-to-have-sparkling-pixels#post_24488826

Yes, and if you see them, it means you need to turn the brightness down on an all black screen until they go away.
I don't understand. Why an all black screen?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore  /t/1522773/are-plasma-tvs-supposed-to-have-sparkling-pixels#post_24491135

You definitely want it at zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpiker  /t/1522773/are-plasma-tvs-supposed-to-have-sparkling-pixels#post_24491057

My Sharpness is set to 10.

Did you use the Spears and Munsil pattern? 0 was what mine came to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg  /t/1522773/are-plasma-tvs-supposed-to-have-sparkling-pixels#post_24488826

Yes, and if you see them, it means you need to turn the brightness down on an all black screen until they go away.

You wont know that unless you have a black pluge pattern. Or you're crushing blacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH  /t/1522773/are-plasma-tvs-supposed-to-have-sparkling-pixels#post_24491152

yes

What TV? Since when was Plasma as smooth as LCD...

·
Registered
924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx  /t/1522773/are-plasma-tvs-supposed-to-have-sparkling-pixels#post_24491176

Did you use the Spears and Munsil pattern? 0 was what mine came to.

You wont know that unless you have a black pluge pattern. Or you're crushing blacks.

What TV? Since when was Plasma as smooth as LCD...
I own a Samsung 8500, what do you own? And I was not disagreeing with excessive levels causing sparklies, I was just adding that a defective HDMI could be the cause. What did you add?  If I did I would get rid of the set.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Changing the Sharpness to 0 didn't do anything. I've noticed that the sparkling is more apparent in the boundaries between different colors. Maybe sparkling pixels is how plasma TVs produce greater color variation.

I haven't used any Spears and Munsil patterns or any other calibration method yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts