AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I should ask if my Panasonic UT50 is color accurate.

I'm asking because I find my TV leaning towards warm tones instead of cool.

The other night I connected my laptop to my TV (to watch a film) and I was shocked at the color differences between the two.

While the picture on my PC looked natural the TV was the horrible golden color. (something I thought up to now was how things were filmed)

It was when a actor in the film playing a doctor was wearing a classic light blue dress shirt I realized I couldn't get the shirt blue on the TV....it was turquoise.

The only way to get the shirt blue was by turning up the tint so much that skin-tones turned green ala STAR TREK..

I also noticed a white car in some shadows had a slight golden tint where on the PC it still looked white.

So my question is CAN the plasma be calibrated (by me or a pro) for a more correct color representation?

·
Registered
890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood  /t/1521751/are-plasmas-color-accurate#post_24459969

So my question is CAN the plasma be calibrated (by me or a pro) for a more correct color representation?

Depends on the calibration controls available on the display and whether they function properly, will allow or not a proper calibration for accurate color.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/139/display-calibration for more info.

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
Your ut50 has no cms but a greyscale calibration and adjusting color and tint would certainly improve things

A small investment in a meter and software would be required

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon  /t/1521751/are-plasmas-color-accurate#post_24460050

Your ut50 has no cms but a greyscale calibration and adjusting color and tint would certainly improve things

A small investment in a meter and software would be required

What software are you referring to, Chunon?

Does this software change settings in the Control Panel?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99  /t/1521751/are-plasmas-color-accurate#post_24459981

Depends on the calibration controls available on the display and whether they function properly, will allow or not a proper calibration for accurate color.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/139/display-calibration for more info.

Thanks Fairchild,

Do I need to find my model in that thread?

I already did a control panel calibration taken from the UT50 thread.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh  /t/1521751/are-plasmas-color-accurate#post_24460239

Cool color is fake, is hard on the TV, and has too much blue.

The cool setting doesn't change the shirt from turquoise to blue anyways.

To get accurate colors (if possible) I need to get into the Control Panel.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood  /t/1521751/are-plasmas-color-accurate#post_24460301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh  /t/1521751/are-plasmas-color-accurate#post_24460239

Cool color is fake, is hard on the TV, and has too much blue.

The cool setting doesn't change the shirt from turquoise to blue anyways.

To get accurate colors (if possible) I need to get into the Control Panel.
There is the red-green balance which is tint, and the service menu. Unless you know what you are doing, I'd advise against using the service menu.

·
Registered
890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood  /t/1521751/are-plasmas-color-accurate#post_24460178

Thanks Fairchild,

Do I need to find my model in that thread?

I already did a control panel calibration taken from the UT50 thread.

What I linked is the calibration forums, not one particular thread. The problem with copying settings is that there is panel variance and other factors which make it not optimal. Copying settings from someones calibration is not a calibration and may even take you further away from being accurate. You probably won't be able to get very accurate with your TV since I don't believe it has a CMS and the grayscale has to be done in the service menu, which isn't for beginners.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh  /t/1521751/are-plasmas-color-accurate#post_24460311

There is the red-green balance which is tint, and the service menu. Unless you know what you are doing, I'd advise against using the service menu.

Too late.

I sure hope a pro can fix whatever i did.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood  /t/1521751/are-plasmas-color-accurate#post_24460805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh  /t/1521751/are-plasmas-color-accurate#post_24460311

Too late.

I sure hope a pro can fix whatever i did.
If you only have problems shutting it off, pull the plug.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts