AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha 765 and I'm stuck between Polk m60's or 70's. I hate to buy the 60's if I'm always going to wonder if I should have spent a bit more and got the 70's. But I'm not exactly sure if my unit is strong enough to power the larger 70's. I believe the Yammy puts out 665 watts and I dont plan on buying a amp anytime soon, if at all.

·
Registered
29,186 Posts
Sure the Yamaha 765 is powerful enough unless you're in a huge room.

The monitor 60's and 70's have the same efficiency of 90db so one won't put more of a strain of the receiver than the other. If you have the extra money get the 70's. Then you'll never have to wonder "what if".

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Newegg has the cherry veneer version of the Polk Monitor 70's on sale again, will not last more than a day or two......Go for it !

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil /forum/post/18249503

Best advice I've seen in weeks!

Well you could wonder, "what if the M60's have better mid range" (since they have 3 drivers versus 2).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, I went ahead and ordered a pair of 70's for only $30/speaker more than the 60's. Plus I have a CS2 accompanying it. If it weren't for the sale I would have choosen the 60's.

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperman /forum/post/18250552

Thank you, I went ahead and ordered a pair of 70's for only $30/speaker more than the 60's. Plus I have a CS2 accompanying it. If it weren't for the sale I would have choosen the 60's.

You definitely can't go wrong either way. I love my M60/CS1/M30 setup. HUGE improvement over my HTiB. These speakers at the newegg prices are by far the best value on the market. Some can argue about the brightness of Polk speakers in general, but I really think these are the best value.

·
Registered
689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xceebeex /forum/post/18249841

Well you could wonder, "what if the M60's have better mid range" (since they have 3 drivers versus 2).

I guess you can always ask "what if..." I'd be willing to bet than with a properly calibrated system, you couldn't tell the difference between 60s and 70s in a blind listening test. Most people, knowing what they are listening to, will like the 70s better because they are bigger and they cost more.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil /forum/post/18251003

I guess you can always ask "what if..." I'd be willing to bet than with a properly calibrated system, you couldn't tell the difference between 60s and 70s in a blind listening test. Most people, knowing what they are listening to, will like the 70s better because they are bigger and they cost more.

Sure you can tell the difference, the larger cabinet, drivers and different crossover will change the sonic characteristics (not the timbre). You'll be able to hear the extention and the soundstage will differ. Sure they'll sound like Polk Monitors, but you can definitely hear a difference between each speaker within that rev. You'll even hear the difference running the full rig with a sub crossed at 80hz due to the midrange expansion in the larger floorstanders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts