AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be building a set of speakers right away. I found this project online and i'm going to persue it right away. I can't post the link because i'm new, but its a design with four 6.5" peerless midwoofers and one 1" Dome tweeter.

I have an H/K AVR 330 but think i might need some more power. To start, i would like to just power the front 2 speakers. Are professional amps considered too harsh for home use? I have found a couple good deals on QSC and Crown amps and i would love to scoop one up if they would sound OK. How would they sound with music? If these aren't a good idea...can you recommend me a decent amp? i will probably be purchasing used off ebay so my limit shouldnt' be over $300.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27,601 Posts
If you like power. I am using Crown and QSC

Sub amps and other sources

Equipment room & Projector

Screen - 10 ft wide, Stewart ElectriMask Microperf Firehawk

·
Banned
516 Posts
Though not quite the set up that Thebland has, I use three Crown XLS series amps in my system. Pro amps are a cheep way to get a lot of power for the dollar. You will see a few people that say they have no place in the home for various reasons. Loud fans are one big issue, but that is something that can be fixed very easily in most cases.

I think for the money they are well worth it, & sound just as good as any home intended amp I have heard yet.

Just to wet your taste buds, skim through the "new amp is making me grin from ear to ear" thread. Youll find a lot of happy Pro amp users there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I also use a Crown XLS 402 to drive my front 2 speakers. I think it sounds fantastic. My speakers crave power and this was an inexpensive way to get in the separates game. My plan was to get this amp for about $300 and to later get something nicer after saving up for it and doing some research as to what I might need. I've never bothered to upgrade after over a year. I honestly can't see the need to pluck down thousands on a consumer grade amp given the value these pro amps offer. Take the time to read the "grinning from ear to ear" thread that a previous poster suggested. Make a pot of coffee and devote a couple hours to this monster thread.

·
Registered
27,601 Posts
Pro amps are the best kept secret in HT amplification. Great quality, big power and a great price. My total amperage adds up to about 11,000W. That would be impossible with any HT amp combo. It's all about headroom.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Interesting. Are they as clean and hiss free as some of these "higher-end" brands?

.. Would you be as happy or happier if you had a couple big matching Halcro amps mated up to that killer prepro?

Man that's a nice room. What are your final inroom dimensions?

·
Registered
27,601 Posts
Thanks!

I have owned nice HT amps from Citation & Aragon. The QSCs I am using now (SRA series) are discontinued but are the nicest amps I have owned. They can be found on ebay and the likes. Very quiet, powerful and dynamic. All of my 6 pro amps cost less than 1 Halcro

Room 17.2 X 9.5 X 32

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.