AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 493 Posts

·
Registered
30,765 Posts
I never said my projector and OLED pictures were comparable. I said I missed the image quality of my OLEDs when watching my projector, so I was thinking of upgrading to the NX7, but then decided against it for multiple reasons. One is because I had found someone on this forum that had spent tens of thousands chasing HDR with his JCV and he finally gave up and replaced his setup with a 77” OLED.

plz read previous posts for context 🤦‍♂️
Oh, and you’re not offending anyone calling my old projector (which I gave away) mediocre. I was never under the impression it was a benchmark for pq. Also, I used it for years and enjoyed it. It’s not like I purchased it and then was immediately upset it didn’t look like an OLED...
So you found one person that did this and that overrides the other 100 plus that have OLED TV's and good projectors and picked the projector as the better solution? The one person you are talking about did not even have a native 4k projector with dynamic tone mapping.

Added
As you said there is "one person", so most of us know who you arereferringg to. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
So you found one person that did this and that overrides the other 100 plus that have OLED TV's and good projectors and picked the projector as the better solution? The one person you are talking about did not even have a native 4k projector with dynamic tone mapping.

Added
As you said there is "one person", so most of us know who you arereferringg to. :)
heh. Look, I’m happy that you’re happy with your setup. I personally like a big OLED in a bat cave and I think the pitch black levels create a very unique experience. You’re kidding yourself if you think you’re getting the hdr experience on most high end projectors. There’s a reason Sony made a 10,000 lumen pj - that’s what it needs to get to a 1000 nits. Current OLEDs go from 0 - ~800 nits now. A JVC nx9 is putting out maybe 200 nits without the color filter and itdoesn’t have perfect blacks - so the range is further reduced. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
168 Posts
heh. Look, I’m happy that you’re happy with your setup. I personally like a big OLED in a bat cave and I think the pitch black levels create a very unique experience. You’re kidding yourself if you think you’re getting the hdr experience on most high end projectors. There’s a reason Sony made a 10,000 lumen pj - that’s what it needs to get to a 1000 nits. Current OLEDs go from 0 - ~800 nits now. A JVC nx9 is putting out maybe 200 nits without the color filter and itdoesn’t have perfect blacks - so the range is further reduced. 🤷‍♂️
Current OLEDs can only hit that high peak nit level if less than ~50% of the pixels are required to be that bright, otherwise auto-brightness limiter kicks in and reduces pixel brightness to about 200 nits depending on the OLED TV model in question. Or, to put it simpler, if a big portion of the image needs to be bright, OLED is no better than my NX9.

·
Registered
30,765 Posts
It is your choice what you are happy with. You pointed out the one person that made the switch. I pointed out that 100's of others have compared and did not make the switch. Neither choice is wrong. Just pointed out that nearly everyone leans the other direction. I also pointed out that I have 100's of hours viewing a 77" OLED, so not like I don't know what an OLED looks like, but you don't know what an RS3000 looks like in a dedicated black pit of a room. Look up Stacy Spears of Spear & Munsil, Stacy viewed an RS3000 (Lumagen doing the HDR tone mapping) in a black pit with his HDR test patterns. He commented that the RS3000, paired with a Lumagen, which I have, actually did better on some of the HDR test patterns than an OLED. Stacy Spears was viewing Kris Deering setup, when he made that comment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Current OLEDs can only hit that high peak nit level if less than ~50% of the pixels are required to be that bright, otherwise auto-brightness limiter kicks in and reduces pixel brightness to about 200 nits depending on the OLED TV model in question. Or, to put it simpler, if a big portion of the image needs to be bright, OLED is no better than my NX9.
Yeah I’m not sure anyone is mastering content with half the frame blinding you. But sure, you can create constraints to level the playing field- that’s not very interesting though

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is your choice what you are happy with. You pointed out the one person that made the switch. I pointed out that 100's of others have compared and did not make the switch. Neither choice is wrong. Just pointed out that nearly everyone leans the other direction. I also pointed out that I have 100's of hours viewing a 77" OLED, so not like I don't know what an OLED looks like, but you don't know what an RS3000 looks like in a dedicated black pit of a room. Look up Stacy Spears of Spear & Munsil, Stacy viewed an RS3000 (Lumagen doing the HDR tone mapping) in a black pit with his HDR test patterns. He commented that the RS3000, paired with a Lumagen, which I have, actually did better on some of the HDR test patterns than an OLED. Stacy Spears was viewing Kris Deering setup, when he made that comment.
funny that most my searches for Stacy Spears is bringing up an LG OLED partnership he’s doing.

I’ll say it again. Your setup is great, happy for ya 👍. Id be happy with that too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not yet. I thought we were close to projectors being dead until I got an NX7. However if a 100” OLED gets under $10,000 it will take out a large chunk of the market, and if it gets below $5,000 it will take out most of the market. There will always be a market for budget projectors and very high end projectors for 120+ inch screens.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Projectors are vastly superior to TVs in every way. There is nothing cinematic about televisions. They're for watching sports and the news.

We naturally see light that bounces off of what we're looking at. Things don't emanate light. They reflect it. That's how our eyes see.

Projector light reflecting off a screen looks natural to our eyes, especially for cinema. Televisions are like big flashlights pointing into our eyes.

OLEDs are cool, but they're not natural, and they don't create immersion like projectors can in a good room.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Not yet. I thought we were close to projectors being dead until I got an NX7. However if a 100” OLED gets under $10,000 it will take out a large chunk of the market, and if it gets below $5,000 it will take out most of the market. There will always be a market for budget projectors and very high end projectors for 120+ inch screens.
The issue is, that 100" OLED is only 100 inches and is always 100 inches. Not only is it tough to get through the door, up the stairs, and around the corner, it's a singular device with limitations of all sorts that make it overtly specific. It's got to be on specific walls, and it has to eat up that wall space. When it's off, it's looks hideous.

On the contrary, that NX7 could be purchased by 100 people and have 100 different screen sizes. It can be used with gain screens for brightness if needed, acoustic screens to center the dialog, or on a screen that drops down from the ceiling on any side of the room you choose. You can hang the NX7 from the ceiling, set it on a counter, or put it in a cabinet behind the rear wall. You can use a DCI lens for a scope screen, or go 16:9.

And in the end, that NX7 picture simply looks better, especially with a Lumagen, and in time it won't be as pricey to achieve that level of picture quality with dynamic tone mapping for a lower price.

The challenge for home cinema isn't the experience. It's the overly complicated application due to format wars and the complexity of the equipment. Most don't share our tweaky natures. And the sub-35 crowd seems content with watching Star Wars on their laptop or phone.

·
Registered
Epson 5050ub, 120' fixed screen, Ascend Acoustics towers/Horizon w Raals, SVS Subs, Palisar seating
1,141 Posts
OK, yea. AHHHH, but the immersive sight/sound experience of a pj integrated with a pin point accurate sound system that easily allows viewers to aurally associate the sounds and movements on a much larger screen is, as you say a "unique experience" I have yet to encounter with any "big" TV.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Hello guys,

Well fellows as all of us have seen on this thread there is a mix of opinions on the question of ...........
Are Projectors dead?
So, I'm not even going to try to convince those that love their OLED Flat-Screen TVs to switch to a projector.
And I have a few thoughts/reasons why I'm not going down that path ^^^
(1) It's obvious that those of you that have the OLED love them so why would you change no matter what I say.
(2) Lastly, if you wanted a Projector you would already have one.

Now, let me add some comments on what the Title is for this Dedicated Thread ... Are Projectors dead?

I can't imagine anyone thinking seriously that projectors are dead or going to be dead really.
And the reasoning behind my above statement is simple.
It's all about "Individual-Choices" ................
As well as "Specific-Applications" ............

In my case with my "Dedicated-Home-Theater" there is No-Way a Huge OLED would work and below is why.

Being 100% serious with No Wise-Ass-Ridiculous, Dumb-Ass-Comments there is No-Way a Huge OLED is going to "Bend" to go around a corner !!!

In-conclusion it's nice that everyone has a choice for what they prefer and My-Personal-Opinion is there is No-Wrong-Choice !!!

Terry

·
Registered
281 Posts
The actual size (dimensions) of a 100” OLED are not that much different from a typical 3 seat couch (perhaps ~12” taller but 30+“ shallower in depth). Therefore if you can get a 3 seat couch in a space you can likely get the OLED into the space.

Also, a 100” OLED is going to blow a 100” projector out of the water. A projector is just not going to compete with a emissive display. One of the reasons (excluding the size/depth) that rear projection screens no longer exist.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

·
Registered
30,765 Posts
The actual size (dimensions) of a 100” OLED are not that much different from a typical 3 seat couch (perhaps ~12” taller but 30+“ shallower in depth). Therefore if you can get a 3 seat couch in a space you can likely get the OLED into the space.

Also, a 100” OLED is going to blow a 100” projector out of the water. A projector is just not going to compete with a emissive display. One of the reasons (excluding the size/depth) that rear projection screens no longer exist.
Problem for most of us, including the OP'er you responded to, we all have larger than 100" screens, so a 100" OLED is not competing against a 100" front projection system. Though, I agree with your point regarding 100" OLED vs 100" front projector.

·
Registered
19,533 Posts
When I take a peak into the flat panel threads, I see folks with just as many issues ( uniformity problems etc. ) as projectors, and having to go through 3 flat panel units to get a decent one. Imagine lugging heavy, bulky 100" flat panels upstairs, and then back to the store 3 times! o_O Don't drop that sucker !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, even a 100" screen is too small IMO, when compared to even a 150".

Plus for my next screen I want more like 200"
This is basically what I was trying to elucidate in my original comment. Someone said that 83” is too small compared to 135” pj. Well 135” is too small compared to 200”. I think there are those with rooms that are large and the viewing distance is greater than 10’. Definitely want a large projection setup for that. For me at 9’ deciding between 100” nx7 and 83” A90J OLED I’m leaning towards OLED because of other variables besides size. I would definitely be happy with a pj though too. We live in some pretty splendid times with all the options, and it’s only getting better. 🍻

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
When I take a peak into the flat panel threads, I see folks with just as many issues ( uniformity problems etc. ) as projectors, and having to go through 3 flat panel units to get a decent one. Imagine lugging heavy, bulky 100" flat panels upstairs, and then back to the store 3 times! o_O Don't drop that sucker !
Hey Craig Peer,

The one thing I think some members might want to keep in mind when discussing with us that have projectors.
We are not talking about 100-inch screens ............
Mine is considered by some AVS members to be small and believe me I have seen those comments more than a few times. :giggle:
And I have a 123" 16x9 Stewart with the Latest/Newest ST130 G-4 screen material for viewing 4k & HDR content.
Add to that mine also has Full 4-Way "Remote-Masking" for viewing all aspect ratio movies.

Below are the Techs standing with the New Screen and as you can see this is actually a huge screen guys and a 100" OLED wouldn't come close to what it is.

Terry

441 - 460 of 493 Posts