AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when the LP340/350 dominated the topics here there were some but relatively few reports of people noticing rainbow. Now it seems like every other post mentions this as being a problem. Does this projector display abnormally high amount of Rainbow when compared to other DLP's.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Well the rainbows are definitely there. I didn't even know what they really were until I got my LT150. Sure enough, they're there! They appear more in my eyes than on the screen it seems to me. However, I find that unless I'm watching something I've seen before and am 'bored' I don't mind them much. Watching directv in via S-video seems to show less rainbow effect to me than watching HTPC DVD probably due to the muddiness of the picture (in comparison of course). My girlfriend doesn't see them at all. I've made a point NOT to ask her directly "do you see any rainbows" and have just asked "how do you like the picture" and "do you see anything weird with the lighting". She's always said no and she was rather against the purchase from the get go but now she digs it. Anyway, yes, the LT150 shows rainbows but to me, unless I wiggle my eyes around and look for them, its not a very big deal considering the price of the unit vs. the quality of the picture otherwise.

-Trouble

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
The above folks echo my opinion as well.

The rainbows are there. You will certainly see them. However, if you spend some time with the projector, they will go away (or at least won't be as distracting).

For an example, try increasing the bass of your front mains by 9 dB, disregarding the balance. At first, it will sound really boomy, but after a week or two, it will become unnoticable. I doubt that any of your guests would notice, either, unless they were real audiophiles.

In other words, you get used to it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the LT150 (and RP91) and have never seen a rainbow.

I use a 4:3 84" diag. curved screen, and sit 14' back.

------------------

Jim Story

Live long and Prosper

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think if you haven't heard of this forum and the rainbow effect, you probably wouldn't notice them. Sure they're there but I must have had 30-40 different people watch movies at my place and only one complaint. That complaint was from my friend who I asked if he saw any rainbows.

At first the rainbows were annoying but now I hardly notice them because I am not looking for them. My wife who has watch as many or more movies than me has not registered one complaint and she is easily the pickiest person I know. She is very easily annoyed by things to bright, too loud, things not matching etc.... and yet no complaints about the rainbow. Believe me, if they were an issue I would be hearing you spent how much of our money on this????

Don't worry about it.

Enjoy

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.