AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read several posts where people make mention of "warranties" and "authorized dealers" when it comes to receivers. Are receivers known to be less reliable that the typical electronic product? I'm typically one that doesn't get too concerned about warranties because I usually figure the odds are pretty good that I won't have a problem. In the case of receivers, are there a higher percentage of failures? Do I need to buy from an authorized dealer when purchasing a receiver?

The price difference on receivers on the internet is pretty drastic. Buying from an unauthorized dealer could save me 30% - 40%. But is the risk too high?

· Registered
13,326 Posts
The internet can give this impression falsely. People who's given device(s) work perfectly for them are much less likely to come on and post up about it in general you know.

I would say both your average display and average optical disc device is more likely to fail than your average AVR in all honesty. AVR's are internesting, once you have had a higher end piece it is hard to go back, you really do get used to that additional qulaity. I have a real piece of junk pro logic AVR that has lasted in the worst of conditions for over 20 years now. I mean this thing, I took camping for 15 years run off of Car batteries with converter all over the US Desert Southwest, and now it resides at a 2nd home that s not enviromentally controlled at all when I'm not there at 8000' in the mountains. So you just never know.

· Registered
6,468 Posts
IMO low end receivers doesn't matter that much as the chances of something happening or going wrong during the waranty period and if it does it's usually more cost effective to replace it anyway. Higher $$ equipment is a different story, there is still the same small chance of problems but if there are the cost to repair or replace becomes much higher. It's really up to the individual but I would recommend no matter which way you go, authorized or unauthorized you check the seller out well. Alot of unauthorized dealers (not all) but alot are just out to make a buck, they don't care if your receiver arrives defective, if you have problems within the first 30 days, etc etc, once your credit card is charged they are done with you.

· Registered
174 Posts
I've had 3 Denon AVR's over the years, and never had one problem with any of them, but I still wouldn't risk spending hundreds or thousands of $'s without a decent warranty behind the piece. You just never know, and I'd hate myself if I got a lemon online, and had no warranty to fall back on. I for one, will only buy through authorized dealers.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/0

IMO low end receivers doesn't matter that much as the chances of something happening or going wrong during the waranty period and if it does it's usually more cost effective to replace it anyway. Higher $$ equipment is a different story, there is still the same small chance of problems but if there are the cost to repair or replace becomes much higher.

The price range I'm looking at is $500 - $700.

· Read the FAQ!
37,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy11 /forum/post/0

I've read several posts where people make mention of "warranties" and "authorized dealers" when it comes to receivers. Are receivers known to be less reliable that the typical electronic product? I'm typically one that doesn't get too concerned about warranties because I usually figure the odds are pretty good that I won't have a problem. In the case of receivers, are there a higher percentage of failures? Do I need to buy from an authorized dealer when purchasing a receiver?

The price difference on receivers on the internet is pretty drastic. Buying from an unauthorized dealer could save me 30% - 40%. But is the risk too high?

Any electronic device can suffer an early failure. Typically if you get past the first 90 days, they are fine for their useful life. Eventually electronics will fail -- most often power supplies fail or things subject to mechanic stress, such as connectors, fail. But that likely happens after the warranty period anyway.

Buying a product without a valid warranty is a gamble -- but again, usually for only the first 90 days. Think of the higher price you pay to get it with a warranty as kind of "protection money" -- and yes they are extorting it out of you. The thing to remember is that if a product needs repair out of warranty it is almost certainly going to cost you more than it is worth (compared to buying a new and better product).

The gamble is different if the device has motorized parts, such as with a DVD player.

In terms of gauging reliability, one useful test is that the manufacturer who offers the longer "factory warranty" has most likely put more effort into design and manufacturing quality control for reliability.

--Bob

· Registered
511 Posts
For mass market brands like Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz ... you save significant bucks buying from un-authorized dealers. You can buy after-market warranty for a fraction of what you saved, though the warranty company might not honor or still stay around when the stuffs break. Also, if you do not dig around and plug and unplug the setup often, things will last much longer.

For high end brands, there are not much unauthorized channels anyway.

· Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/0

Any electronic device can suffer an early failure. Typically if you get past the first 90 days, they are fine for their useful life. Eventually electronics will fail -- most often power supplies fail or things subject to mechanic stress, such as connectors, fail. But that likely happens after the warranty period anyway....

--Bob

I agree, from personal experience. Although I can't really explain why, if there is going to be a failure, it typically happens early in the component's life. That is why I do a considerable "burn-in" with a new piece of equipment.

As for receivers not being as reliable as other electronic devices, I still have an HK AVR20 I bought in 1998 that is alive and kicking in my wife's study (and still working perfectly) despite many years of service.

I would bet that there are other posters out there who have receivers that can beat that timeline hands down.

· Registered
8,024 Posts
I havent' had any kind of major failures. I've had inexplicable "glitches", but no terminal hardware failures. OMG.....I can't believe I just said that. I'm currently knocking on the biggest tree I can find.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl /forum/post/0

Onkyo, HK, Denon, and Marantz have outlets for refurbs, at significant savings, with warranty. You may have to forgo the latest and greatest however.

What's the best way to find these refurb outlets? I'm specifically looking at Onkyo and Denon. I wouldn't mind buying a refurbished model if I had a warranty with it.

· Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy11 /forum/post/0

What's the best way to find these refurb outlets? I'm specifically looking at Onkyo and Denon. I wouldn't mind buying a refurbished model if I had a warranty with it.

For Onkyo, shoponkyo.com and accessories4less.com which also carries Marantz refurbs. Both places carry factory waranty and are FACTORY refurbs, also shoponkyo gives free shipping and $10 off first purchase after signing up with the website.

Harman Kardon sells through ebay as Harman Kardon Direct, the seller is harmanaudio.

Denon, I haven't researched much maybe someone else could chime in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.