AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I know the center channel speakers are shielded, as it's mentioned in the speaker description. I don't believe the floor standers or bookshelf speakers are shielded though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes you are correct. Only the center speakers are shielded. But I've had my Rocket 550's right next to my RPTV with no problems.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes but I have a direct view tube. Hmmm. I was also considering Paradigm Studio 100 v3 but those are not shielded either are they?

I might have to re-think this.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Are you planning to use a center, too? I'm just wondering since tube TVs are only like 36" big, and that placing a center and 2 mains right next to each other wouldn't provide the best sound separation. How close to the TV are you planning to place the mains?

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About 12-16 inches from each side of my 34 inch tv. That is pretty close to have my speakers now that I think about it.

I can place them about 4 feet away from both sides but I would have to toe in my speakers.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
34" diagonal would translate to about 2 feet in horizontal distance. So if you're planning to place the mains only 2 feet apart, that's hardly stereo :)

I think it'd be better to place them far apart and play with the toe-in to get better imaging (to go along with a wider soundstage and better separation).

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Very much agree with the toe in. I have mine about 4 Ft. one either side of a cabinet of an entertainment center. With the RPTV makes them about 13+ feet between them. With just a slight amount of toe in they are perfect. I could not imagine going any less than 8 Ft. between them if your doing a center as well.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
It also depends on how close you sit to them. If you sit like 5' away, the speakers can be closer together than if you sit 10' (or more) away. But yes, try to get more spacing if you're not sitting really close.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Two quick things....

If you have a relatively plain room, you can also make it have a larger seperation by toeing them out and reflecting them off the walls. This is by FAR not the best solution, but I found it to work sometimes in tight, or awkward arrangements.

Second, it is "magnetically shielded". Do not ask a sales person for "video shielded" or he will mark you as a n00b... ;) (Somantics, I know, but whatever....)

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only problem if I do put them farther apart is that they will be farter out than my center. My center will be even with the tv which my fronts cant be then. They will be about 1 foot ahead of the center. Just use distance settings on reciever and forget about it?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
To form a semi-circle around your listening area, the front speakers should be the same distance to your seat. In many cases, that means moving the L/R speaker "closer" to you. Hence, they'll be slightly ahead of your center speaker. Just use a measuring tape to measure the distances and adjust it accordingly on the receiver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.