AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering since there are CRTs involved. I always remembered the warnings on normal TV and PC monitors that stated that radiation was greatest from the sides or rear! Since the RPTV CRTs are positioned vertically, then the side radiation is pointed straight at the viewer! Probably not a big deal for normal viewing distances, but what about kids playing on the floor near the TV? Just wonder if they shield these things, or if we are all guinea pigs with this fairly new TV format.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Well, we all got a go sometime!!

I'll have a smile on my face from watching HD programming ! :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought a test unit several years ago when there was a big scare about radiation (and whether the European standards were safer than the US standards) and my youngest liked to sit immediately in front of our Sony 53".

Testing my Sony 53", I found that the radiation levels were fairly high immediately in front of the screen but that once you moved back about 18" the numbers dropped to under the European recommendations.

I wouldn't worry about it.

GuyT

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you check at the screen level, or coming out the base? The base is where I'm worried as that is where the CRTs are, and also where little ones sit on the floor. As to the standards for monitors/TVs, I believe that is radiation coming out of the screen. The worry was that the side and rear where a LOT higher. Also note there is no truly "safe" level of radiation, it's all probabilities. If a single particle/ray hits in the wrong spot, you could be in trouble! :confused:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco
Did you check at the screen level, or coming out the base? The base is where I'm worried as that is where the CRTs are, and also where little ones sit on the floor. As to the standards for monitors/TVs, I believe that is radiation coming out of the screen. The worry was that the side and rear where a LOT higher. Also note there is no truly "safe" level of radiation, it's all probabilities. If a single particle/ray hits in the wrong spot, you could be in trouble! :confused:
Time to put on that lead suit! We are all exposed to constant, low-level ionizing radiation coming in from space and from radioactive decay naturally occuring in materials around us on earth. In addition, we live in a sea of low-frequency (relatively speaking) electromagnetic radiation from TV and radio stations, cell phone networks, and so on. (The latter, fortunately, seems to be completely harmless at levels up to well above what anyone would normally encounter.) You will absorb more radiation with the potential to cause cellular damage from a dental X-ray than you will ever receive from your TV set. Things that are about a thousand times more likely to harm your child: bike accident, car accident, acute allergic reaction, etc. If it will make you feel better, line the inside of the base of the TV with aluminum foil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.