AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've heard some people say that all plasma TVs make a buzzing noise. Well, it's not true. My old 46'' Panasonic G10A never buzzed. If I pressed the mute button, I would get complete silence, even if I walked right up to the TV. My new 64'' Samsung F8500 makes a very audible noise, even at my normal sitting distance of 10-11 feet.

Are Samsung plasmas noisier than Panasonic plasmas? Or are larger plasmas noisier than smaller plasmas? Or are 2013 plasmas noisier than 2009 plasmas.

I'm thinking of returning my new TV due to a dead pixel and reception problems. I'll probably be getting a 60'' TV, since a 64'' is just a bit too big for me. Should I be getting a Panasonic or a Samsung if I want less noise?

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpiker  /t/1522785/are-samsung-plasmas-noisier-than-panasonic-plasmas/0_60#post_24488988

I've heard some people say that all plasma TVs make a buzzing noise. Well, it's not true. My old 46'' Panasonic G10A never buzzed. If I pressed the mute button, I would get complete silence, even if I walked right up to the TV. My new 64'' Samsung F8500 makes a very audible noise, even at my normal sitting distance of 10-11 feet. Are Samsung plasmas noisier than Panasonic plasmas? Or are larger plasmas noisier than smaller plasmas? Or are 2013 plasmas noisier than 2009 plasmas.

Both brands have had reports here of excessive buzzing issues, but just as with your G10A as well as with my own PZ700U, G10, GT50, and ST60 which are all virtually silent there are plenty of F8500 owners here who also have quiet units despite so many reports of buzzers with both brands and despite the negative nancy's that claim they all buzz, when in fact it's because of some sort of defect.

The bottom line is that it's not normal to be able to hear buzzing at 10 feet regardless of brand, and despite so many people hear that will tell you that it's normal. A non-directional buzz that you can hear from all over the room is usually caused by a bad board or coil or power supply, and if the buzz is mostly audible when sitting directly in front of the screen but decreases if you move off to the left or right then the panel itself is defective or out of spec.

Quote:
I'm thinking of returning my new TV due to a dead pixel and reception problems. I'll probably be getting a 60'' TV, since a 64'' is just a bit too big for me. Should I be getting a Panasonic or a Samsung if I want less noise?

There's no way i'd accept any TV that i can hear buzzing from my viewing distance even in a silent room. There's no need since non-buzzers do exist. I'd return it and get something else, but since Panasonic no longer makes Plasmas you might have a hard time finding a new one in stock.

·
Banned
11,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1522785/are-samsung-plasmas-noisier-than-panasonic-plasmas/0_100#post_24489204

Both brands have had reports here of excessive buzzing issues, but just as with your G10A as well as with my own PZ700U, G10, GT50, and ST60 which are all virtually silent there are plenty of F8500 owners here who also have quiet units despite so many reports of buzzers with both brands and despite the negative nancy's that claim they all buzz, when in fact it's because of some sort of defect.
That's not being a negative nancy, that's just facing reality. I have yet to own a plasma (3 Kuros and a ZT) that does not buzz to some degree (the brighter the on-screen content, the louder the buzz...and no, not detectable with content playing and/or at 10 feet out), but age and thus hearing acuity is very much a factor in whether the owner can detect it or not. If mine were all defective, that is some seriously insidious QC!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Most individuals possess what is considered to be "normal" hearing. If your PDP buzzes and/or has de d/stuck pixels it is less than optimal.

If you can live with your PDP as is then fine, but for the ~$3000 my 64F8500 cost and the $7500 I spent for my PRO-150FD during 2007 or that $5400 for a 50PX50U during 2005, those problems are unacceptable for me.

·
Banned
11,423 Posts
^I would have had to replace every one if the buzzing phenomenon was truly out of the ordinary, and that would have gotten tedious fast. I would probably be so fed up with the exchanges that I would have been relegated to LCD, which I was not about to do after retiring a cloudy MURA-laden LCD back in 2008.

Now we've moved onto stuck pixels? Yes, one of my Kuros had that on the center of the screen and with it being a 50" panel that I viewed from 7 feet out, it was indeed intolerable, so I ended up selling at a loss. The new ZT has a dead subpixel that I didn't notice until 3 months into ownership, invisible from 4 feet out (and in a corner) and indeed not worth fighting Panasonic over. Given that I sit 10 feet out, too much stress given the day-to-day hustle and bustle of life.

Imperfection is unachievable, even at $3k.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1522785/are-samsung-plasmas-noisier-than-panasonic-plasmas#post_24489549

Imperfection is unachievable, even at $3k.
I hope you mean that perfection is unachievable. Imperfection is unfortunately very easy to achieve.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
i'm pretty sure all plasma's buzz, it's a matter of how sensitive the owner is, and in some cases how directional that buzzing is and if it happens to hit an antinodal point around the viewing location.

if I pay close enough attention, I can hear lcd's 'buzz' as well, and crt's were even more noticeable imo. I could always tell if I left the tv on by the sound it made. lcd's are the quietest of the 3 by far though.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1522785/are-samsung-plasmas-noisier-than-panasonic-plasmas#post_24489489

That's not being a negative nancy, that's just facing reality. I have yet to own a plasma (3 Kuros and a ZT) that does not buzz to some degree (the brighter the on-screen content, the louder the buzz...and no, not detectable with content playing and/or at 10 feet out), but age and thus hearing acuity is very much a factor in whether the owner can detect it or not. If mine were all defective, that is some seriously insidious QC!

yup! you can add 3 more to that list. they all buzz. electricity makes an audible noise. everything electrical does, the more electricity flows, the louder it is. 60w light bulbs make enough noise to hear if you pay attention to it.

it's not a defect, it may be considered a design flaw I guess. but I don't think anybody should be expecting a 'silent' plasma. you can expect one that can't be heard while watching content from viewing distance, but if you're going to take out the stethoscope you WILL hear buzzing on all of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The reason old sets did not buzz was thicker double or triple glass designs, for whatever reason Panasonic premiere series were the last to be arranged in that way

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkassier  /t/1522785/are-samsung-plasmas-noisier-than-panasonic-plasmas/0_100#post_24492306

The reason old sets did not buzz was thicker double or triple glass designs, for whatever reason Panasonic premiere series were the last to be arranged in that way
Even my S1 with double glass buzzes a bit on bright content, like browsing a web page. Perfectly fine during normal movie watching though. I'm in the "every plasma buzzes somewhat" crowd. I'm glad they got rid of the double glass though. No gap between the panels so no halos around text, and picture is a bit crisper as well. My S1 has developed a bit of a fog between certain parts of the glass as well. You can really only see it on a full white screen at extreme side angles though.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1522785/are-samsung-plasmas-noisier-than-panasonic-plasmas#post_24489204

The bottom line is that it's not normal to be able to hear buzzing at 10 feet regardless of brand, and despite so many people hear that will tell you that it's normal. A non-directional buzz that you can hear from all over the room is usually caused by a bad board or coil or power supply, and if the buzz is mostly audible when sitting directly in front of the screen but decreases if you move off to the left or right then the panel itself is defective or out of spec.

Well, at least you didn't claim this time that multiple ST60 owners have had their "defective" sets repaired, so that's a small improvement. Still waiting for a reply from a couple months ago about that:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/11760#post_24396449

Quote:
There's no way i'd accept any TV that i can hear buzzing from my viewing distance even in a silent room. There's no need since non-buzzers do exist. I'd return it and get something else, but since Panasonic no longer makes Plasmas you might have a hard time finding a new one in stock.

AFAIK, there have been no reports of anyone successfully replacing a buzzing 2013 Panasonic or having one fixed. There have been multiple negative reports, a couple of which I linked to in my earlier message.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts